Author Topic: Athena Asamiya (Arcade Version)  (Read 34219 times)

krazykone123

Re: Athena Asamiya
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 07:20:55 AM »
Thanks for the tip about having to go uf+C for command grab because I kept getting dash DPs and crap.

Yeah if you try to input it too quickly during the dash the commands overlap, hcf uf (like Ash said) is definitely the more assured input.

I watched as man videos as I could on Youtube and Nico. The general play style I noticed with Athena was going balls to the wall and batshit insane. I'll try it out tomorrow and see how I do.

True but it never hurts to have a back up plan, imo I highly suggest you try to get her instant backdash down (bb.f+B) because it will help you immensely in terms of maneuverability, also if you're ever in the air you can use strong Phoenix Arrow to cross the opponent up but you have to use it near their head, you can also tiger knee into it but that's mostly for HD combos and what not.

Her dp imo is still a good reversal (just not the best), but if you have meter hcbx2+P/AC DM is generally better at warding off jump-in monsters on wake-up, EX teleport works just as well because despite the mediocre traveling distance it has complete invincibility and can be free canceled at any point.

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 07:27:25 AM »
By bb.f+B do you mean backdash against jump ins and try to nail them with her f+B? Also is her qcb+B in the air safe on block?

Also, just for the record, does she have any other cross ups?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:39:17 AM by Demoninja »

krazykone123

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 08:42:30 AM »
By bb.f+B do you mean backdash against jump ins and try to nail them with her f+B?

Nah, I meant use it in general, you'll rarely ever catch someone with her bb.f+B unless they use something really fast and run right into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ptsyT-_vl8

That video should explain everything, Ganpi is a monster with her, psycho balls/tele's/backdash tricks galore.

Also is her qcb+B in the air safe on block?

Yeah, and you can still rtk ( ;dn ;db ;bk ;ub+ ;b) it if you want it to come faster and lower to the ground.

Jump B, Phoenix Bomb can be used as a make-shift cross up but they'll have more than enough time to get out of the way if you use it by itself, it's more responsive when used on wake-up imo.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:46:43 AM by krazykone123 »

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 08:57:53 PM »
By bb.f+B do you mean backdash against jump ins and try to nail them with her f+B? Also is her qcb+B in the air safe on block?

When you do air command attacks, in most cases they actually make you backdash farther, that's why you use it.

On a side note, if you notice an opponent not retaliating or using down B after a air qcb+B, you can just spam several times in a row. Krazykone, I see that you put the shortcut as d, db, b, ub+B, which is how you should do all air shortcuts but since that does a back jump, I usually do a near 360 motion like this for forward jump uf, f, df, d, db, b+B.

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 07:52:36 AM »
Alrighty guys, thanks a lot for all the info! I'm gonna go now. Next time I post in this thread will probably be a week or two from now after I play tons of games trying to use what I learned from you guys. It will be a post updating on my status and seeing if I learn anything new. Meanwhile, I'll see you guys in other char threads haha.

krazykone123

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2011, 05:01:16 PM »
Krazykone, I see that you put the shortcut as d, db, b, ub+B, which is how you should do all air shortcuts but since that does a back jump, I usually do a near 360 motion like this for forward jump uf, f, df, d, db, b+B.

Yeah the 3-6-0 can work, just to make sure you don't bilk the input.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2011, 05:47:09 PM »
what does bilk the input mean?
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

krazykone123

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »
what does bilk the input mean?

To "Screw it up", or "flub it".

Anyway I guess I'll work on updating the wiki page and see if I can add a move analysis, any input from (actual) XIII players would be cool.

StolenHope

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 08:32:01 PM »
Alright Guys I've been practicing alot with kensou,kim,king, kula, and k, now i want to expand my character solection so i was thinking Athena. So does anyone know the best way to start off a combo with Athena because so far i'm having a hard time closing in on the enemy and executing a combo at will. Any tips?

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 08:41:33 PM »
This is just me but when I'm playing Athena I want to be far away from them. The only time i go in for a combo is when they whiff something huge or they're near the corner and i can get pretty big damage. Usually the majority of my damage comes from chip and anti airing and throws. If you do end up close I usually just cr.B cr.A into uppercut or I'll DC the uppercut into ex Psycho Ball combo. I think st.C works as well but it isn't my preferred method for some unknown reason.

StolenHope

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2011, 08:59:02 PM »
Oh okay that gives me a little hint on how to play with her now i just need a little strategy lol but thanks man!

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2011, 11:52:43 PM »
I think a good opener with her is backdash (and they don't jump or dash at you in the beginning) then slow psychoball. If they jump it, do psychosword. If they don't jump it, dash in behind the fireball and stand C into another slow psychoball.

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 01:32:35 AM »
I think backdash with Athena is one of the strongest openers in the game. It gives her so many options and is pretty safe to do. I started using her again and I'm sorry I strayed from the light.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2011, 01:07:29 AM »
2011-05-22 KOF XIII KCE公開動画 その289第2回アニメ杯2-4

From 5:30 on, you'll see one of the best Athena's seen on video in almost the past half a year...

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2011, 02:40:20 AM »
athenas ex teleport seems fucking godly in this game. i think all ex teleports probably are?
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!