Other Fighting Games > Classic King of Fighters

The KOF/SNK Podcast DISCUSSION Thread

(1/5) > >>

Dark Geese:
All discussion related to everything that is going on in all the podcasts posted will go here.

So if you wanna talk about what Desmond said in his podcast, DeadlyRaveNeo, what I am saying in mine when it goes up etc, you can talk about it right here, that way the other thread is just posting the podcast videos. Again like anything else, it is fine to disagree with people, but disagree in a respectful fashion!!!

desmond_kof:
DeadlyRave-Neo said around the 32:00 mark of his podcast that you should apply the same formula you did before as far as getting people to play and running tournaments here in the USA, but say before that you've tried for 5 years...what would you need for players here in the USA to have you take the scene here seriously?

Dark Geese:

--- Quote from: Desmond Delaghetto on January 13, 2011, 07:19:21 PM ---DeadlyRave-Neo said around the 32:00 mark of his podcast that you should apply the same formula you did before as far as getting people to play and running tournaments here in the USA, but say before that you've tried for 5 years...what would you need for players here in the USA to have you take the scene here seriously?

--- End quote ---

Many many issues I think need to change for people to take the scene seriously and I talk about this in my podcast:

1. People unwilling to travel- You gotta go to tournaments even in your area and support the games and show ME that support if I am going to be willing to do such a thing. I operate more now with a business mind than I did in the past, so time is money, and now I have to be able to show my boss what objectives were achieved by making a particular visit, so it all has to pan out! So when I plan to make a particular trip to XYZ area I can show my boss WHY I am going to that area, I can say for example "Raging Storm Minnesota paid for itself, thus I am making another tournament in Minnesota because I know the overhead costs are going to pay for themselves, thus a higher chance for profit!"

What business person would continue to invest after one-two years if they are not seeing a return on their investment and even after they have distanced themselves from it still get linked to what is currently going on (aka the drama and my name being associated with such things I am no longer a part of!)??

It normally takes 1-2 years for a business to get up and running, but 5 years is too long!!

Mr. Wizard is saying the same thing as me, we both have to see support for these games in the USA before they are considered on a grander scale. I have to see support for these games in the USA before I consider doing what I use to do again, esp now when I can see this type of support South of the border. What reasons should I choose the USA vs. Mexico? This is what is going on in my mind. The USA had its chance, and it is still in the same predicament as it's always been, with KOF13 being quite possibly the LAST hope!

2. Too many dabblers- We need more serious players, less dabblers period, and I do not like traveling to these places only to see people that are just playing the games to pass the time!

3. Online vs. Offline wars with a lot of online players not wanting to travel to tournaments to play offline: Huge problem. If the so-called "Best players in the USA" are online, what good do they do us if they aren't joining with us to play in offline tournaments? If the issue is skill you can always go to an INTERNATIONAL tournament, where you can rest assured you will get the skill you seek!!!

4. Too many factions: ie Sam Sho crowd, World Heroes crowd, KOF crowd which has its own factions, 98 players vs. 2002 players, KOFXI players, KOFXII players, KOF13 players, KOF 2000 players, KOF 95 players, Fatal Fury crowd, Capcom fanboys saying Garou MOTW is the best SNK game because it plays like a Capcom game, Garou MOTW players themselves, Real Bout 2 players, Real Bout Special players, Real Bout 1 players, Fatal Fury Special players, SvC Chaos players, and I could go on and on and on.

Another very important faction: Arcade players only that believe all console characters in any game should be banned vs. those that only play the console versions never played the arcade and those in between, and finally Arcade players that do not believe in Macros vs those that are in between, versus new age console players that feel macros should be allowed to simplify things and bring in newer players, in other words to which many could argue you are "dumbing down" the game so new players can play!

All of this is what I am talking about when it comes to factions, hard to unite people when there are soooo many factions and so little support!

5. Lack of appreciation/respect shown for anyone that puts time and effort into trying to do something-This makes it where people do not want to try to do things anymore (myself included) when you are constantly disrespected for trying to do anything! This goes across the board:

5a. Those that disrespect people uploading videos as if "they could do better when most of them could not"

5b. Those that disrespect people running tournaments like they "rigged the bracket that's the only way they could've won" when even when you let someone else run the tournament, results are the same.

5c. Those that make fun anytime someone is running a tournament like "Why was that game chosen" when they do not understand that said game was chosen by the people that are actually going to show up!

5d. Those that do not understand that I work hard to get my tvs at EVO- They bash the fact that I have the entire BYOC section, when I wake up at like 7:00 AM to achieve it, and if they did the same they could as well!

I could go on and on, but after seeing this stuff year after year after year, why would ANYONE want to deal with this constantly????

5e. Very rarely does anyone say THANK YOU for what you have done, it is always people critiquing saying how they could "Do things better", but these people never do such a thing!

5f. People that whine either way about youtube videos: You are damned if you use any top tier/one team in videos a lot, damned if you don't use a top tier or don't play your hardest all the time because they don't like you sandbagging.

So I lose either way- Someone like Dan is going to degrade me if I use Eiji-EX Geese-Krauser all the time in matches, or someone else is going to whine if I decide to play with everyone in the game because they can clearly see I am not really trying, I am just messing around with all the characters!

6. Lack of skill level/progress- Very important. I try to do many different things, have many different ideas just to try and inspire people to play, just random ideas I try just to try and inspire people to play (that's even what the GOODMAN thing was in NGBC that he mentions in his podcast, it was a random idea because I was tired of seeing stagnant growth, so I became desperate to try ANYTHING that would give people a reason to play), and it always gets the same result, so after that I stop trying. I see people that aren't improving in skill level or their improvements are so minor it doesn't really matter anymore, and I feel like I am just wasting my time and money because the community is spinning its wheels!

All these divisions makes it very difficult to unite a common ruleset that everyone agrees with, someone is not going to always like the games chosen for a tournament because they are not exactly what they envisioned it would be! When I am getting tugged from all these different angles in addition to getting disrespect from people that do not understand what it is like to be in that position, constantly lose money, constantly be frustrated by the lack of support and low level of skill, and constantly get stepped on by people that seem unappreciative and seem like freeloaders, then over time it gets to the point where it is no longer worth me doing or it is time to change the course of action.

sibarraz:
About the factions, I think that a big problem at least on USA is that until after the release of XII, you never got a consistent KOF released that lots of people were expecting, lots of players maybe start to know thanks to neoragex or other emulators, and they picked whatever SNK that they liked first

At least I think that with XIII, if the game sticks with people expectations, you can start to build something there with all this people trying to learn this new game, at least in south america and japan there is not this attitude since the vast majority plays all the kofs released (or at least the most mainstream, lke 98 and 2002)

Dark Geese:

--- Quote from: sibarraz on January 13, 2011, 11:32:58 PM ---About the factions, I think that a big problem at least on USA is that until after the release of XII, you never got a consistent KOF released that lots of people were expecting, lots of players maybe start to know thanks to neoragex or other emulators, and they picked whatever SNK that they liked first

At least I think that with XIII, if the game sticks with people expectations, you can start to build something there with all this people trying to learn this new game, at least in south america and japan there is not this attitude since the vast majority plays all the kofs released (or at least the most mainstream, lke 98 and 2002)

--- End quote ---

Agreed very good points, that is why I say for now until KOFXIV comes out (if it does) or Garou II HD comes out, KOFXIII is the last hope!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version