Dream Cancel Forum

News:

New to the forums? Introduce yourself HERE!

Scene Building

Started by solidshark, January 14, 2011, 07:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solidshark

A few matches with someone new to KOF days ago taught me and him something that might be useful.

MIRROR-MATCHING. When we were both Ryo and Terry, he learned a lot more about what those guys could really do once he saw them in my hands (he screamed into his speaker when I showed him how Ryo could parry - bigh 3S fan I'm assuming). He messaged me later, thanking me for showing him how to better use those characters.

SHOWCASING UNORTHODOX CHARACTERS/MOVES. This is a big maybe, especially with a lot more casuals out there. But ever since fighters around me stared using Lei in Tekken, or Voldo in Soul Blade more often because of their stances, there seems to be one guy or another immediately interested in characters with advanced or unusual gameplay. Don't be afraid to show some people Jhun, Angel, etc. (if you've got 2002) for example. Like Krazykrone stated earlier though, know how to use those characters well first. And if that doesn't work, there's always easier characters to master.

UTILIZING DIFFERENT MODES. If you've got the home version that you're trying to get other players into, let them know about all the ones there. For the guys who might say they prefer one-on-one (a lot of people feel that way), point them in the right direction. For the guys who want to play certain CPU characters, several of the latest KOF's have VS. CPU. For anyone curious about SNK Boss Syndrome, VS. CPU plus the boss of your choice; warn them up-front that that title is well-deserved thought.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

krazykone123

Quote from: solidshark on January 28, 2011, 06:50:25 AMSHOWCASING UNORTHODOX CHARACTERS/MOVES. This is a big maybe, especially with a lot more casuals out there. But ever since fighters around me stared using Lei in Tekken, or Voldo in Soul Blade more often because of their stances, there seems to be one guy or another immediately interested in characters with advanced or unusual gameplay. Don't be afraid to show some people Jhun, Angel, etc. (if you've got 2002) for example. Like Krazykone stated earlier though, know how to use those characters well first. And if that doesn't work, there's always easier characters to master.

I like this one, showing videos of high level play usually drives the point home if you want to get people interested in picking characters (more so the unique one's than the average "lol shoto" or "turtle charge" character), Please take note that you want to be careful with this because some of them might get the impression that the game has too high a learning curve and make them give up, imo I'd suggest doing it in moderation along with teaching them a few things bit by bit during training mode and casuals.

QuoteUTILIZING DIFFERENT MODES. If you've got the home version that you're trying to get other players into, let them know about all the ones there. For the guys who might say they prefer one-on-one (a lot of people feel that way), point them in the right direction.

One-on-One can be good for people who want to get used to using a character at a time, not everyone is good at forming a team right off the bat (some of my friends still have this problem), I'd tell them upfront that they need at least 3 characters they want to use "seriously" (no duplicate's or bosses) but we can still play one-on-one's until you get the gist of your first character then we can move onto the next one and so on.