Author Topic: Ever thought someone was your best character but ended up being someone else?  (Read 4897 times)

FreeRunner

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
I wonder if this has happened to anyone. This scenario just happened to me in 2k2um. Usually if I like a game alot I use all characters and learn them, but I would eventually have somebody stand out. The session I had yesterday reminded me of this since it was the total opposite of what I was expecting. It seems that I'm a better Mai player than a Leona player XD (A total opposite to what I was expecting). I guess things change when you go deeper into a game and start experimenting on everything.

Now I either ignore this fact or run with it. This also happened in other games I play too (Not all). Has this happened to anyone before? What did you do about it?
You're too slow!!

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
This happens to me all the time. My attitude is that knowing more characters is better. I usually hit up the practice mode and get to know the new character better but still work with the other character. This at least gives me a basic knowledge of multiple characters.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
At first I thought that robert was my character, but then I found him really bland, so I moved on to anyone else

In 2002um I started to use robert once again thanks to his ex version

In 98 and 2002 I honestly had like 15 mains

Waifu Material

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
It sometimes happens to me when a new game/new characters are announced, and before playing those games.

For example, in Tekken 5 DR i saw Lili for the first time i said "this will be my new main" and looking at Dragunov i said "not bad, but no thanks" , but after looking/playing her gameplay and watching her personality i was disappointed, then saw and played Dragunov, and fell in love with him.

Also before the release of BlazBlue CT i planned to main Noel, Litchi and Jin, and ended maining Bang, Hakumen and Tager.

Nikolai VolKOF

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
It also depends how stubborn you are. If i start someone for one reason or another i will REFUSE to switch them out, even if they are problematic, i will develop a love hate relationship to them, sometimes screaming on them. I refuse to play easy mode.

Wingshot7777

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Yeah, for the longest time in Marvel vs. Capcom 2, I thought Ken was my best character, then after playing online a bunch and playing with steamwolf, EVERYONE told me that my Rogue was my best character, so I compared what I could do with both characters, and I saw people were correct. Also, in KoF, I swore Leona was my best character, then once again, online at GGPO, people told me I should stick with Athena. It happens.

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
I know when I play certain games, it's always been an issue of "this character is fun" vs "I'm naturally solid with this character"...

In The Rumble Fish (old fighting game), I would have a blast playing with Hikari, even though I didn't win much (about 30-40% wins with her)... If I played with Aran or Zen, it was a different story altogether... I figured out alot of things with them quickly and eventually had some win streaks... In KoF I think the only real characters I have fun with while being my best characters would be Joe and Billy Kane... I like some of the other characters, but these two allow me to go all out and have an massive amount of fun while playing with them... They're not auto-pilot characters, but because they're my better characters, its easy to overcome certain situations...

FreeRunner

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
I know when I play certain games, it's always been an issue of "this character is fun" vs "I'm naturally solid with this character"...

These are my thoughts exactly :). At least with some games I predict correctly, but I guess I wasn't so lucky this time. Glad to see I'm not the only one that is (or already) went through this.
You're too slow!!

JTSNOW6

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Sweet topic, man!!

This actually happened to me too!!  I wanted a team of Kyo / Ryo / Terry at first, but when I realized that it was the Legends team or w/e and other people picked that team too, I wanted to make a change.  I have learned a few characters but what I found in my travels is that I am a Vice player so I now have a team of Kyo / Vice / Terry.  It's funny though, because when I get to play XIII on a regular basis it might change again!!

Persona

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
It happens to me. Most of the characters I like as characters (appearance, personality, etc) were never my mains because I just didn't feel right when playing them. In the end, the characters I played best were because of the way they played, but another good thing about it was that after playing a character because of their gameplay, I started to like the character as a character too.

I guess an example is like saying, I normally like Kula but my style never fit her gameplay so I ended up playing Billy but later Billy grew on me as a character favorite as well and now I like Billy as much as Kula.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people choose characters that they like as a character to fit their gameplay, but I don't really think that's the best approach because IMO it's more about your playstyle than what character appearance you like. Just my opinion.

AzureTAG

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
It happens to me. Most of the characters I like as characters (appearance, personality, etc) were never my mains because I just didn't feel right when playing them. In the end, the characters I played best were because of the way they played, but another good thing about it was that after playing a character because of their gameplay, I started to like the character as a character too.

I guess an example is like saying, I normally like Kula but my style never fit her gameplay so I ended up playing Billy but later Billy grew on me as a character favorite as well and now I like Billy as much as Kula.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people choose characters that they like as a character to fit their gameplay, but I don't really think that's the best approach because IMO it's more about your playstyle than what character appearance you like. Just my opinion.

YES! 1st. I choose a character on appearance/personality and then if they have rushdown playstyle Ill choose them. When I was younger playing Athena-Mai-Terry/Yuri on ps1 KOF95 I had no idea wtf I was doing but a few years later I as started to learn fighting games, I found out I don't really care for Athena/Mai's zoning/runaway game and Terry is too plain for me.
I fell in love with Kula, 98 (Ex)Mary and Mature's playstyle (Ill use Mai and Athena SOMETIMES), but as for which one is my best character depends on which type of character I fight against.

Louiscipher2501

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
All the time. I remember picking up 3rd Strike, used Alex in Single Player, tried him online (in the 2DF days) and getting destroyed. I went with Dudley and did better, and used him for about a year, then I saw what Genki and KSK had done with Alex and went back to him, and I would say he's my best character in the game.

For KOF it's been Kim. I picked him randomly, I knew a couple of his moves, and suddenly I'm winning matches and I'm like 'WTF?' and Kim has been a pretty solid staple of the franchise. Kim is one of those characters that stay's relatively the same in every game (Barring Iori, Joe, and maybe Terry) but I always seem to do well with him.

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
Let's give this topic some life.

Everytime is buy new KOF, I check the roster. Then I read how they play and decide "That guy/gal will be in my team!" When I get the game I try them and believe I'm good "character X" player. I play some arcade mode and I find out that I suck. Tne I rend up playing my same old boring team of Terry, Ryo and Iori. I hate myself.Lets hope 2003 is different from others.
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
The major problem I have is when I get used to a player and really start to master the character to the point of I'm not really trying to learn much more then what I already got I tend to become very predictable using too many bread and butter combos. I am still good, but if a high level player can tell what's coming next, it doesn't matter how good you are.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

FreeRunner

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Glad to see my topic still has life :).
You're too slow!!