Author Topic: XBLA Indie fighting game: Battle High  (Read 5031 times)

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
XBLA Indie fighting game: Battle High
« on: February 12, 2011, 12:23:21 AM »
There's a fun little indie fighter available for $1 on XBox Live called Battle High. It's very much inspired by old-school SNK fighters.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWtS5tYzr0k?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tWtS5tYzr0k?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/d24xfbqxv0M?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/d24xfbqxv0M?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:27:35 AM by nilcam »

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: XBLA Indie fighting game: Battle High
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 12:39:07 AM »
looks interesting, downloading

Waifu Material

AndyKakes

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 04:53:41 AM »
I'll give it a shot. I'm always down for a new fighting game. Don't see too many indie fighters out there.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:58:41 AM »
After playing I can't honestly think how this game is inspired on SNK old school fighters, hell, I saw more inspiration from capcom with something of more modern games (XXI century)

Waifu Material

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 07:32:28 PM »
The training mode has an option to show hitboxes!!! It's a bit glitchy, as if you do a move, and then do another move, it will show a hitbox from the previous move in conjunction with the new move executed, but its still a good game none the less...

Rush Cancel = NGBC's AC Tactical Step, but you can do this in the air, standing, or mid attack...

Anyway, I see the SNK part with 4 attack buttons, but there's the additional 2 buttons - one for a throw and another for a UOH... I tried to see if the additional buttons could be done with a combination of the attack buttons, but to no avail it wasn't working... I only wish that you could throw with say both hard attacks, and do a UOH with the two lights... That would be great imo, since 2 extra buttons would be a waste unless it was some sort of parry or evasive manuever button (like MB and SS respectively)...

I do like how you can rush cancel mid air attack... So you can do crazy things like this with Jiro:

standing ;a , standing ;a , ;qcf + ;a , rush cancel, standing ;a , ;qcf + ;a ~ ;a , ;uf + ;d , rush cancel into air ;d , land, ;qcf + ;a ~ ;a ...

I think that's the guy's name... Anyway, this game is kinda fun... Needs balancing, as Arvid can rush indefinitely, and some infinites are possible (but don't always happen, even with on point execution)...

Character design seems like a cross between GGXX, Rival Schools, and a dash of KoF... I'm hoping these guys stick with this game and tweak it a bit, and maybe add more to the core fighting system and a few new characters... Even though its an indie game, I'm rather surprised there's no online function for it, since alot of those indie games are becoming online... There's even an indie mmorpg... But yeah this game is rather fun...

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 11:23:47 PM »
thanks for the detailed info

Waifu Material

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
  • Achieve the impossible~
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 09:42:24 AM »
Been playing this since day one. Had to revive it. I'm actually the primary playtest / balancing guy as of lately.
Suggestions have been made on the official forums to make two-button style instead of the current throw + overhead buttons, but yeah.

Ultimate Guide (Official Forums)

Zanza, one of the art guys on the game, is a close friends of mine. We actually play KOF2002 fairly regularly on GGPO.
MBAA: H-Aoko
MBAC: Hisui & Kohaku
LB2: S-Akari
NGBC: DIO & Kaede
KOFXIII: Yuri / King / DuoLon

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 05:08:14 PM »
Well, I had 80 points, so decided to buy it

I actually see some potential in the game, the story is interesting, and gameplay-wise, even though a little stiff, is still fun to play,specially doing rush cancels

one thumb up

Waifu Material