Dream Cancel Forum

News:

New to the forums? Introduce yourself HERE!

Who getting MK9?

Started by hdcloudstrife08, February 06, 2011, 05:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cibernetico

So I just finally got the chance to play MK9 and I gotta say, the game is a lot of fun. And high level MK9 is great to watch. The game moves really really fast. I also love the offline content the game provides.

So far I'm trying to play as Jade.

Remzi

High level MK9? wat.
There is no high level MK.
MBAA: H-Aoko
MBAC: Hisui & Kohaku
LB2: S-Akari
NGBC: DIO & Kaede
KOFXIII: Yuri / King / DuoLon

krazykone123

Quote from: Remzi on June 25, 2011, 06:13:59 PM
High level MK9? wat.

Care to elaborate on this?

Zabel

High level MK9? wat.
So you've just been ignoring everything that's been happening with the game?

Recently decided to drop Kung Lao, he's still stupid good despite the nerfs but Ermac just fits me more.

Xxenace

Quote from: Zabel on June 25, 2011, 07:31:06 PM
High level MK9? wat.
So you've just been ignoring everything that's been happening with the game?

Recently decided to drop Kung Lao, he's still stupid good despite the nerfs but Ermac just fits me more.
exactly how bad did they nerf kung lao? cause a lot of people i know have dropped him

The Fluke

Quote from: Xxenace on June 25, 2011, 07:36:00 PM
exactly how bad did they nerf kung lao? cause a lot of people i know have dropped him

Kung bnb 1,1,2xxspin,jk,divekick,f3xxspin did 32% percent, now it does 26%. They are supposedly going to remove his high damage multiple divekicks corner combos and are adding more recovery to blocked spin.

I don't get why they removed (or are going to, not quite up to date on this) the corner combo, other than that, it is actually pretty good. The spin nerf won't affect players who hitconfirm except for those times that they throw it out just to show that they can do so etc. The damage nerf seems ok because Kung is both fast and safe so it makes sense. If he does use EX he can break 30 and even 40% as shown in some newer combo videos. His x-ray still has a good payoff and together with regular spin he still has just as good anti airs etc.

sibarraz

There is high level on MK9, but honestly, the matches are really boring to see is sort like SSF IV for me, funny to play, high level, tedious to watch

Back to topic, I'm trying to learn how to use nightwolf, I had read that he has good zoning tools, could somebody elaborate this?

Waifu Material

LouisCipher

High level MK9? wat.

Please don't troll dude. One of the things that separates this forum from SRK is that there's no trolling.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Remzi

No trolling, there isn't any high level MK.

Crossup game, what crossup game. Meter system, terrible. Balance, terrible. Characters, terrible. Input detection, terrible. Buffering, what buffering. Control customization, not optimized for tournament play.

It's a game made for casuals and nothing above the casual level. It's stupid, mindless fun that shouldn't ever be taken seriously.

The Fluke

Quote from: sibarraz on June 25, 2011, 10:48:58 PM
Back to topic, I'm trying to learn how to use nightwolf, I had read that he has good zoning tools, could somebody elaborate this?

Nightwolfs projectile is horrible in my opinion because it is way too slow but he has a reflect special that in some cases have lesser effects like simply negating Noobs clones. His EX Lightning special on hit is pretty much like Reptiles force balls so they equal some nice juggle damage, and seeing how serious the amount of damage Nightwolf can dish out that can be worth alot. His Hatchet beats jump in punches but loses to well positioned jump in kicks. His tackle is safe on block but the regular one can be ducked and uppercutted if expected.

@Remzi

Crossups in mortal kombat are different from crossups in capcom/snk games etc because they are very safe to do but obviously not hard to block. They are VERY important and hard to deal with but also not free to set up so you shouldn't be giving the game shit on that point.

Meter usage in the game varies between characters though with Kung or Kang for example you will probably only see it used for breaker and the rare EX. However with characters like Kitana or Nightwolf EX has so many uses, meter managment gets really important for them.

Balance is in my opinion better than ssf4, that may not mean much but honestly balance is not an issue in mk9. Only reason i can see for any confusions regarding that is the relative learning curves of some characters like Kung who has now been taken down and out of a lot of peoples interests while still being very good.

Character design is yet again, in my opinion better than the sf4 series. Some like the style, others don't but it has stayed true to the early games so you should know what to expect and thus it really isn't an issue.

Input detection is good if you are consistent and precise. The game does however use negative edge so if you mash things out randomly, random things will happen. Buffering works, however you cannot hold a direction for more than a second and then proceed to do the rest of a motion for a special move, so if that is your issue, just learn to deal with it.

Control customization is good for casual play, but competitively it is a failure.

The game can be played at whatever level you want to play it at, if you don't want to see the possibilities you probably won't. It is not a perfect game but you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

Remzi

There is no crossup game bro. Crossups mean nothing in MK because of the block button, which is by itself really stupid.
Oh god, the meter system. It's seriously dumb that there isn't more use to it aside from EX / Breaker / xray. No defensive options to kill blockstun which provides an advantage or free damage, and no uses for meter to get out of most frametraps. I prefer using meter to break free, or to have some temporary invincibility to punish anything.
Balance being better than SF4? wat. MK9 is far worse balanced, and SF4 is terribly balanced by itself.
SF4 has limited character design. It's not my standards at all. Characters in the SF series are generally terribly designed, they had their peak at SF3.
Input detection is terrible.  Negative edge isn't a bad thing in it's own aspect, but the inputs themselves don't go through the way you inputted them.
Control customization is a failure in all aspects.
The game shouldn't be played at a level above casual, same as SF4. They both feature too many things directed at casuals (option selects, block button [mk], etc).
It's far from good, let alone even being in the range of perfect.

Zabel

The very fact you say their is no cross-up game shows just how little you know.

Xxenace

remzi could you explain how having a block button makes it a casual game?

Remzi

Zabel, how can you say there is a cross-up game when you only have to hold a button while standing? It's not like you have to anticipate which direction they'll be, which is what cross-ups are primarily for.

Xxenace, block button removes crossup game, it allows a bullshit gap to use for inputting whatever you want, etc. Instead of having to input a move quickly between frametraps, you can instead input it DURING the blocking phase which, in most games, would open you up. I'm fine with shields, parries, and other things, because normally those are tight to a certain range of frames and they're generally baitable and unsafe. Block buttons, on the other hand, are completely safe in every manner. It reduces the amount of thought that any fighter should have to be treated as competitive, and therefor it is intended for a casual level. Same as option selects. They cover multiple things at once, with only one input. Don't give me the "o u hav 2 kno da optun seleks 2 be gud wid dem". Lol, no. You memorize two buttons. That's not hard at all considering it takes the thought out of grab / attack mixups that used to be important to SF.

sibarraz

I will throw a challenge to anyone

Say to any Virtua Fighter Fan in the face that block buttons makes a game a casual and count how many seconds take him to start laughing

Waifu Material