Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 547713 times)

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1560 on: March 10, 2011, 07:47:21 PM »
which games you think will last longer and have a more stronger competitive scene? 98UM, 2002UM or XIII?

I'd like to say and hope all of the above, but probably a tie between 98UM and 02UM. Console-wise, I hope XIII will be as loved as XI was. If we never see a XIV, then XIII will be around; it'll be third place compared to the dream matches, but I hope I'm wrong.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: March 10, 2011, 09:57:02 PM »
which games you think will last longer and have a more stronger competitive scene? 98UM, 2002UM or XIII?

There's just too much history between 98UM and 2K2UM to compete with XIII.  If, and if we're playing the if game, XIII came out way back in '98 when ppl still went to arcades, when you couldn't play games online, that would be an interesting question but we'll never know.

Another challenge we have today besides from the obvious dying arcade/increase in online play is the lack of new blood, young gamers.  The group of us in AI are relatively older, we're in our 30s, Oscar is getting close, and John and Reynald are a few years behind Oscar.  I think Ivan's 25 or so, and our youngest one is Abe at 22 or so but he's only just started this year.  In comparison, at 22 years old I already have played KOF for 6 years.   We're an old bunch now, where's the new blood?  There just doesn't seem to be that fighting spirit, that tenacity that we had growing up, at least they're not playing KOF =(

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: March 10, 2011, 10:05:52 PM »
well, like you said, the arcades are dying, only hope to see a fighting game suceed is his console port

Waifu Material

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: March 11, 2011, 05:14:36 AM »
Here's my main concern with XIII:

Will I be decent at it if I was good at the other KOF games? Or will I have to learn something entirely new here that wasn't in the other games?

FataCon

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: March 11, 2011, 05:31:12 AM »

Will I be decent at it if I was good at the other KOF games? Or will I have to learn something entirely new here that wasn't in the other games?

General fundamentals will help you a lot, but it can only get you so far. You'll have to learn how to take advantage of the drive system in place to really get the most out of your characters. That said, keep in mind that your mainstays may have changed quite a bit, especially the grapplers or Mai. Overall, I feel that the general flow of matches is something that you'll be used to, although with higher emphasis on hitconfirming since combos are pretty integral in this game moreso than in previous iterations. Just my opinion though, but I'm not too great either so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Gravelneed

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: March 11, 2011, 02:58:39 PM »
Yeah, a lot of characters overall have gotten changed significantly. It's definitely gonna affect me

My old main in 98UM/2k2UM: Chin. I doubt I'll have any idea what to do with him anymore. Vice I think I can handle.

My main in 2003/XI: Ash. A lot of his normals have been changed and i'll have to get used to no regular command grab and drive canceling with him. Still I look forward to playing as him a lot.

My other XI main Liz was just buffed all around. I'm very happy with that. But so many others are as well. All those people who never even played as her once in XI are abusing the shit outta her now. But I guess that's to be expected though.

I just wanna play XIII. I'm hoping that console port rumor is true.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:46:09 PM by Gravelneed »

Shinra Shiranui

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: March 11, 2011, 07:37:53 PM »
After watching some matches i just realized something..does anyone use Kensou? or even tried him out?
KOF XIII: EX Kyo,Mai,Saiki

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: March 11, 2011, 08:13:21 PM »
After watching some matches i just realized something..does anyone use Kensou? or even tried him out?

Some have. I not sure why Kensou and capabale mid-tier characters aren't picked more often. Picking the most dominating characters in the game seems way too common-place. But then again, most of what we see are probably tournament videos and the like, where people use whatever is at their disposal to stay on the machine. I'd like more videos on players improving their skills with the unusual suspects; huge reason why I miss AI and their vids.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: March 11, 2011, 09:12:09 PM »

Some have. I not sure why Kensou and capabale mid-tier characters aren't picked more often. Picking the most dominating characters in the game seems way too common-place. But then again, most of what we see are probably tournament videos and the like, where people use whatever is at their disposal to stay on the machine. I'd like more videos on players improving their skills with the unusual suspects; huge reason why I miss AI and their vids.

The Answer uses Kensou. Me and a couple others play him every once in a while as well for fun, but we all each have our own set of characters we prefer to stick with.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: March 12, 2011, 12:28:01 AM »

I used Kensou in XII so I haven't quite figured out why I haven't picked him up in XIII (although that's kinda the same with Iori XII too).  I think it's moreso that we find other characters more interesting and not coz he's incapable of holding his own.

There's the natural and expected learning curve when playing a new kof, but you should feel right at home after awhile.  From the jumps, to the speed, to the canceling system it's really a bit of different iterations, as long as you've played the older ones you should pick it up relatively quick and even if you haven't, we have people like metaphysics who picked it up just fine without playing any of the others.

My old main in 98UM/2k2UM: Chin. I doubt I'll have any idea what to do with him anymore.

DO IT!  I used Chin over the years too, but never this exclusively until starting last year (but really this one).  He's so much more refreshing and although his 2k2UM version was really fun and has some interesting cancels--this is irrefutably Chin's best iteration.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:34:18 AM by Kane317 »

HaxMurderer

• Strongest Tiger
  • aka NegroNinja aka Biki aka HotPockets
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: March 12, 2011, 02:05:12 AM »
Kensou's a main, and his damage output be low. I think a lot of people avoid low damage characters for now. I personally enjoy picking people apart though.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: March 14, 2011, 05:57:20 AM »
Here's to learning Iori all over again!

At least Kim and Kula seem to be the same as always...

(That's my team right there)

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: March 14, 2011, 08:27:32 AM »
I was thinking the other day that Kula has been high tier in every single KOF that she's been in. Does anybody else feel the same way? I mean didn't she have an infinite the first year she was a playable character?
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: March 14, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
I was thinking the other day that Kula has been high tier in every single KOF that she's been in. Does anybody else feel the same way? I mean didn't she have an infinite the first year she was a playable character?

She started out as a mid boss, 'nuff said.  In case it wasn't clear, yes =)

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: March 14, 2011, 08:29:59 PM »

Kyo is pretty similar too

She started out as a mid boss, 'nuff said.  In case it wasn't clear, yes =)

Yeah she started out as a mid boss, but that doesn't have anything to do with her being near or top tier every year she's in it. Look at the other bosses/mid bosses, some were were really and some were just ok. probably missing some but:

Goenitz
O. Yashiro
O. Shermie
O. Chris
Chizuru
Saisyu
Kula
Shion
Adelheid
Silver
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:29:10 PM by Ash »