Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 547885 times)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2220 on: June 03, 2011, 06:39:11 PM »
This conversation is regarding Shen, Liz and how tier lists can change over time I brought it over from the vid thread.

I will disagree that Shen is lower than Liz, good example we've seen that the Japanese players are not afraid to tier whore and in the videos we've seen them use Shen A LOT more than Liz. I feel like it was the hype of the first few months but once people started figuring out characters like Shen she dropped. I see Liz lower or the highest at Shens level but not a bit higher.

Changes in tiers list happen in every game a perfect example is MvC2 8 years ago Cable was ranked #1 than people figured out Magneto and they dropped Cable, than Sentinel and they dropped Cable even more and just last year they ranked Iron Man higher than Cable. Cable is now ranked #5 IIRC.

Let's actually hear some reasoning other than usage.  Otherwise if we all start using Goro in SoCal, does that mean Goro becomes High Tier?

To me, tiers have always been about the math, it's not emotional (which why I find it funny how ppl get scared to discuss tiers) it's about how many options one character has and most importantly it can be quantitative like frame data and damage.
e.g.   Raiden can do more damage than any character in more ways that most can starting from multiple scenarios  while using less stocks and [DC].  My verbage could be even more precise, but you get the point.

e.g.  According to Dune, he feels Kyo's really up up there to do his 1-frame Ex DM.

I do agree, tiers can change.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 09:48:50 AM by Kane317 »

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: June 03, 2011, 07:03:19 PM »
nah doesnt make sense imo, your right in that tiers can change, i agree. and ill say this, in some of the latest vids you see more shen than k, kula, lizzy or raiden, this does however not mean hes higher tiered than any of them. shen has to work for his damage, lizzy doesnt, same for k, kula & raiden. not to mention he needs to spend more bar for damage, again the tops gain a lot of bar by spending a little, not true for shen.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #2222 on: June 04, 2011, 05:39:52 AM »
To me, tiers have always been about the math, it's not emotional (which why I find it funny how ppl get scared to discuss tiers) it's about how many options one character has and most importantly it can be quantitative like frame data and damage.

e.g.   Raiden can do more damage than any character in more ways that most can starting from multiple scenarios  while using less stocks and [DC].  My verbage could be even more precise, but you get the point.

e.g.  According to Dune, he feels Kyo's really up up there to do his 1-frame Ex DM.

I do agree, tiers can change.

Well, as you know, people hate talking about tiers, because, to some, it invalidates the rest of the cast, and sets a pre-programed "this is who you should be playing!" to many of the gamers out there. The only REAL change I'd say happens in (percieved) "tiers" is the adjustment of how players utalisze their tools.

I agree that Elisabeth is much better, tool wise, than Shen. If tiers are judge on "how strong they are, and how often they have a chance to use those strengths", she wins easily.

The awesome thing about THIS game though, is that most characters can look REALLY strong when used right. With proper application, everyone looks like they have certain overpowered details. So yeah, if we just go by "who is being used well, and often", then tiers would change every few weeks.

I rather like the general Ratio list this game has going for it, though. I'd say those shift a bit too, depending on who is playing the characters, but I think they're a great judgement of "How good are these characters, VS the rest of the cast, in a variety of situations".
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 09:49:49 AM by Kane317 »

a11111357

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile

PureYeti

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: June 06, 2011, 06:02:49 PM »
Isn't it pretty late?

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: June 06, 2011, 07:49:47 PM »
http://orochinagi.com/2011/06/kof-europe-evo

This is amazing!!! It's never too late guys let all help in this great cause, I did my part and donated. Even if it's just a little it will make a difference. I really want to see the best of Europe in KOF no matter which title. Looks like EVO is going to be amazing weather we have 13 or not.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: June 06, 2011, 07:58:47 PM »
http://orochinagi.com/2011/06/kof-europe-evo

This is amazing!!! It's never too late guys let all help in this great cause, I did my part and donated. Even if it's just a little it will make a difference. I really want to see the best of Europe in KOF no matter which title. Looks like EVO is going to be amazing weather we have 13 or not.

Damn I was going to post this today at work, beat me to the punch.  It is a great cause and before anyone says, "Why do I care about Europe, I'm in the US?"  Just read the link.

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: June 06, 2011, 08:34:34 PM »
As european, I'm really glad with this thing. Even I'm not going to participate in that paris tourney :D But I like to see some european KOF comunity hyped for KOF13 and supporting it. Orochinagi is doing an amazing job :)
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

Mr. Soulstar

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: June 07, 2011, 02:25:48 AM »
Hey guys, I just got some hands on time with KOF 13 for the first time since NCR 2010 yesterday and i have a few questions.

Im lovin takuma. Even though i miss having the QCB A/C counter punch move. But i didnt get a chance to try out the hsien loops in the corner. Are those hard to do? Also is there an easier way to do the f,b,f A/C move because i kept getting fireball super when i was doing it

Also, how is joe? Im considering picking him up too
Stand back, and watch me get loose

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #2229 on: June 07, 2011, 04:51:22 AM »
Random thought, to all those keeping up with E3... it's actually extremly likely that SNKP will work out some kinda PS3 to PSVita support for KoF XIII console release at this point.

They seem to love the PSP enough already, and that'd be a good way to extend the games userbase a bit.

Doesn't matter to ME (as I'll be getting it 360!), but I'd love to see their home port and online be able to get a bit more breathing room thanks to more ways for people to continue playing it.

Mr. Soulstar, I can't give any XIII specific advice, but I can tell you that the best way I had to keep from doing Hao sho kou ken when trying to do a Zanretsuken, for me, was just to make the motion very pronounced (making sure not to do it too fast), and to let the stick go back to neutral before starting the motion, and sticking the last "forward" at the end. That tends to work for me on all the older games, so maybe it'll help you here?

And Joe, he looks pretty good in XIII, doesn't use meter much to do great corner damage combos, has pretty safe movement options, solid projectiles, good normals for comboing easily, and solid DMs. Tiger Kick isn't as stupid-invincible in this game as it was in XII though, and that seems to keep people from playing him as much?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:54:01 AM by SAB-CA »