Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 547744 times)

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #915 on: November 03, 2010, 04:47:18 PM »
Exatly how far away are they from each other when it comes to these online tournaments though? I'm not trying to say their internet is crap or whatever, but it's from my own experience that you actually get less lag depending on how far away the opponent is.

Good because they have the fastest internet in the world: http://gizmodo.com/5390014/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-the-world-shown-visually

I can't tell you how far apart the players are specifically, since I don't know where they live inside of Japan, but taking a look at the matches and what is taking place in terms of execution, I would say that lag is a non issue for them.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: November 05, 2010, 01:16:57 AM »
Exatly how far away are they from each other when it comes to these online tournaments though? I'm not trying to say their internet is crap or whatever, but it's from my own experience that you actually get less lag depending on how far away the opponent is.

Good because they have the fastest internet in the world: http://gizmodo.com/5390014/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-the-world-shown-visually

I can't tell you how far apart the players are specifically, since I don't know where they live inside of Japan, but taking a look at the matches and what is taking place in terms of execution, I would say that lag is a non issue for them.

I knew Japan and Korea were ahead but didn't know to what extent; that's just disgusting, I'm jealous.

Homies Over Shotos

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 05, 2010, 01:57:55 AM »

I knew Japan and Korea were ahead but didn't know to what extent; that's just disgusting, I'm jealous.

Japan has what we call Super Internet.  They have like 50-100 MBPS and it only costs like 40-50 a month.  However it's a lot cheaper to connect that tiny island then it is the US.  Hell even California is like double to quadruple the size of Japan and look at our stagnant internet.

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 05, 2010, 03:20:39 AM »
In other news, did you guys see the 1st place prize winner for that South Cali tourney this week? Man, I hope someone who actually knows how to play KOF well goes away with that prize!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:53:05 PM by Kane317 »

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 05, 2010, 05:35:23 AM »
Japan has what we call Super Internet.  They have like 50-100 MBPS and it only costs like 40-50 a month.  However it's a lot cheaper to connect that tiny island then it is the US.  Hell even California is like double to quadruple the size of Japan and look at our stagnant internet.

From wikipedia:

Total area of Japan: 145,925 sq mi
Total area of California: 163,696 sq mi

California's certainly bigger, but it's no where near double the size of Japan, let alone quadruple. Size is hardly the only issue here.

In other news, did you guys see the 1st place prize winner for that South Cali tourney this week? Man, I hope someone who actually knows how to play KOF well goes away with that prize!

Yeah, it sounds like an awesome tournament. How many AI folks are going?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:53:18 PM by Kane317 »

Homies Over Shotos

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: November 05, 2010, 06:25:59 AM »
Japan has what we call Super Internet.  They have like 50-100 MBPS and it only costs like 40-50 a month.  However it's a lot cheaper to connect that tiny island then it is the US.  Hell even California is like double to quadruple the size of Japan and look at our stagnant internet.

From wikipedia:

California's certainly bigger, but it's no where near double the size of Japan, let alone quadruple. Size is hardly the only issue here.

In other news, did you guys see the 1st place price winner for that South Cali tourney this week? Man, I hope someone who actually knows how to play KOF well goes away with that prize!

Whoops my bad.  I was quoting the Ignition speech essentially when they were talking to SNKP to fix their interass netcode.  They told them that California alone was bigger then their country, especially in actual land mass as a lot of Japan is there but with huge water spaces and whatnot and the president of SNKP was in actual shock at how big America was when he first told them the netcode for KOF 12 was FINE.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 05, 2010, 12:55:44 PM »

If I was a betting man, it would be one of the AI guys.  I have my money on The Answer, l2slythe (Reynald) or Mr. Kof.

Japan has what we call Super Internet.  They have like 50-100 MBPS and it only costs like 40-50 a month.  However it's a lot cheaper to connect that tiny island then it is the US.  Hell even California is like double to quadruple the size of Japan and look at our stagnant internet.

From wikipedia:

8 of us confirmed, but maybe 12-14.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 05, 2010, 01:40:55 PM »

8 of us confirmed, but maybe 12-14.

Awesome, for a sec there I thought it would be filled with noobs (since there are like what, 2 machines in the whole of US?). Glad there will be ppl there to do the game justice and make it look good.

Any idea how much snk is involved in this outside of prizes (which is already excellent and more than they have done in forever)? Who approached who? You them or they the local scene? Did they provide a game to play or did AI lend their setup?

Hopefully we can get a pic of the custom PS3, curious as to what it looks like.

Will the whole thing be streamed or just the semis and finals? KOF is fast so it shouldn't take them long even if they showed it all.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:43:28 PM by Diavle »

Kusanagi-Style

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 05, 2010, 02:27:52 PM »
Are you guys gonna be recording the whole XIII tourny?
KOF XIII: Iori/King/Yuri

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 05, 2010, 02:46:20 PM »

The tournament will be streamed live.

Kusanagi-Style

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: November 05, 2010, 03:27:38 PM »

The tournament will be streamed live.
They said that the final 4 will be streamed only, so that's why I was asking if they're gonna record the whole tourny.
KOF XIII: Iori/King/Yuri

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 05, 2010, 03:36:33 PM »
They said that the final 4 will be streamed only, so that's why I was asking if they're gonna record the whole tourny.

Misunderstood, my bad.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 05, 2010, 04:43:14 PM »
Awesome, for a sec there I thought it would be filled with noobs (since there are like what, 2 machines in the whole of US?). Glad there will be ppl there to do the game justice and make it look good.

To my understanding, that's how it even came about.  The Answer can elaborate about the story, but basically the-someone-who-knew-someone-who-knew-someone etc., got a hold of SNKP, and basically they asked if they could get a spot in SoCaRegionals and asked specifically if the AI guys could show up.  This isn't to take anything away from the Oni-Con guys, but one would assume, that SNKP wasn't too happen with those matches.   I dunno though, just my humble opinion.

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 05, 2010, 05:14:33 PM »
Whoops my bad.  I was quoting the Ignition speech essentially when they were talking to SNKP to fix their interass netcode.  They told them that California alone was bigger then their country, especially in actual land mass as a lot of Japan is there but with huge water spaces and whatnot and the president of SNKP was in actual shock at how big America was when he first told them the netcode for KOF 12 was FINE.

I'd also have thought that Japan's total area would have been inflated by water, but actually, according to Wikipedia:

Total area of Japan: 145,925 sq mi  w/  0.8% water space
Total area of California: 163,696 sq mi w/  4.7% water space

California's area is more inflated by water than Japan's. Pretty surprising, right?

And yeah, I remember the episode you're referring to. I think actual quote was something like "They were shocked when I told them that you could fit four or five Japans inside California." Even without checking any statistics, I knew that had to be bullshit. I also couldn't believe that someone would publicly mock someone for not knowing a bullshit fact they just made up. Face palm-worthy. (Although I did appreciate they tried to get SNK to patch the netcode.)

Sorry for the OT, I know this isn't geography class. More on-topic, I've heard 2002UM's netcode is a step back from NGBC, but I've also heard that it utilizes roll-back. Did NGBC also do that and I just missed the memo? Is this the first SNK game to use roll-back?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 05:16:54 PM by Rex Dart »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 05, 2010, 05:21:49 PM »
More on-topic, I've heard 2002UM's netcode is a step back from NGBC, but I've also heard that it utilizes roll-back. Did NGBC also do that and I just missed the memo? Is this the first SNK game to use roll-back?

Elaborate on this roll-back please.  Is this a coding term?