Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 547962 times)

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1065 on: November 28, 2010, 08:28:31 AM »
Back from the ratio tournament at Shinjuku Carnival, though I didn't actually get to enter because I came late (got distracted talking a cute girl in a band :P). It was pretty cool, two of the three cabinets were used for the tournament, the last one was for casuals. Almost all the characters got used. There were lots of Yuri, Ryo, Clark, Kim and Vice players but no one picked Daimon or Takuma. Matches for the top 4 were recorded, so I'm guessing they'll be online soon.

I wish I didn't work on Saturdays. :(

Thanks for the write-up. And by the way, I've been meaning to tell you that your Little Charo avatar is fucking badass.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: November 28, 2010, 09:13:21 AM »
id rather see yamazaki than anybody else.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Shinra Shiranui

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: November 28, 2010, 10:22:23 AM »
I really wanted Billy or Yamazaki to be a DLC character but im more concerned about the outcome of the game netcode. Other than that i'd say this game is just about solid.
KOF XIII: EX Kyo,Mai,Saiki

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: November 28, 2010, 11:03:27 AM »
Back from the ratio tournament at Shinjuku Carnival, though I didn't actually get to enter because I came late (got distracted talking a cute girl in a band :P). It was pretty cool, two of the three cabinets were used for the tournament, the last one was for casuals. Almost all the characters got used. There were lots of Yuri, Ryo, Clark, Kim and Vice players but no one picked Daimon or Takuma. Matches for the top 4 were recorded, so I'm guessing they'll be online soon.

Awesome Rakukojin, good representing!

From the front page and The Professor from mmcafe:
Carnival Arcade had its ratio tournament for KOFXIII today and it was pretty interesting. There were a total of 25 participants; Oz, Cap, and Nagihe were there. The tournament ran in double-elimination.

The matches were played on two cabinets and one of them was hooked to a DVD-HDD recorder. Those matches are scheduled to go up on Nico Video.

The tournament commentator was also a participant- whatever video that runs without commentaries will be his matches. He lost in the loser's bracket though.

The tournament ran under this ratio chart.

Max 4 points
4- K', Raiden
3- Andy, Shen, Kyo, Iori, Kula, Elisabeth, Takuma
2- Leona, Ash, Benimaru, Yuri, Kim, Duolon, Chin
1- Goro, Terry, Kensou, Mature, Maxima, Joe, Robert, King, Hwa, Ralf
0- Mai, Athena, Clark, Ryo, Vice

The game actually felt really well balanced with this Ratio implementation. 3-1-0 and 2-2-0 were the most popular combinations. i think there were only 2 or 3 players doing 4-0-0.

Most of the characters in the game seemed to be used by people, including Ralf despite that he's in Ratio 1. The Ratio 0s were pretty popular except for Mai, who I've only seen being used by one player.

Players seem to have figured out how to get the best out of Ryo and do some damaging combos.

I can't recall seeing Takuma and Goro being used by anyone. I don't recall seeing Elisabeth either. K' and Raiden were rarely seen.

The matches were mixed-- some players were really good, some felt like casuals, some players seemed a bit ambitious and whiffed big time on combos.

Here's a few example of matchups that were were seen.

Clark-Robert-Shen vs Ralf-Clark-Yuri
Athena-King-Kula vs Duolon-Ryo-Ash
Mai-Athena-Kula vs Duolon-Clark-Kim
Kim-Ryo-Yuri vs Ash-Clark-Yuri
Yuri-Leona-Vice vs Clark-Raiden-Ryo
Athena-Vice-Yuri vs Hwa-Iori-Vice
Mai-Athena-Kula vs Kim-Kyo-Chin
Ryo-Kyo-Maxima vs King-Robert-Leona
Robert-Shen-Clark vs Clark-Vice-Shen
Clark-Ralf-Yuri vs Vice-Kyo-Maxima
Joe-Ryo-Shen vs Duolon-Clark-Kim
K-Ryo-Vice vs Terry-Ryo-Iori
Kensou-King-Ash vs Athena-Ash-Benimaru

fiol

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: November 28, 2010, 11:16:27 AM »
i'd really like to watch those matches..

KOF XIII: billy, ralf, clark
KOF XII: ralf,kyo,ryo

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: November 28, 2010, 11:36:54 AM »
Same here. I can't wait for these.

Although I personally feel like 4 ratio limit was perhaps a bit strict. I don't think 5 would have hurt the character variety much. In fact, it could have helped it.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: November 28, 2010, 01:03:52 PM »
i wouldnt mind some rebalancing so that i wouldnt even be bothered by seeing k or raiden (or lizzy or kula).
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

TYRANNICAL

• Strongest Tiger
  • Beast of Prey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: November 28, 2010, 01:55:04 PM »
If they rebalance the game it's whatever.  I guess people will finally stop crying so much. You'll get the variety you crave so much.  I can understand.  Unless you got offline comp for these recent KOFs like 02UM and XIII, you're left looking like a fool for banking on unreliable netcode.  So all you're left with is uploaded matches.  Playing laggy matches and VS CPU can only last so long.

If you got offline comp(like the AI peeps/other players), you're lucky as Hell.  As for me, looks like I might have yet another (SNKP)title sitting in my collection gathering dust.  I guess that's why I don't even care.  It doesn't have any effect on me at all.  The ratio system and rebalancing?  Doesn't mean a damn thing without competition.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:56:37 PM by TYRANNICAL »
KOF XIII:
-K'/EX Kyo/EX Iori
-K'/Andy/Kyo
-Benimaru(Duo Lon)/Robert/Takuma(Iori)

Might controls everything.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #1073 on: November 28, 2010, 05:07:11 PM »
If they rebalance the game it's whatever.  I guess people will finally stop crying so much. You'll get the variety you crave so much.  I can understand.  Unless you got offline comp for these recent KOFs like 02UM and XIII, you're left looking like a fool for banking on unreliable netcode.  So all you're left with is uploaded matches.  Playing laggy matches and VS CPU can only last so long.

If you got offline comp(like the AI peeps/other players), you're lucky as Hell.  As for me, looks like I might have yet another (SNKP)title sitting in my collection gathering dust.  I guess that's why I don't even care.  It doesn't have any effect on me at all.  The ratio system and rebalancing?  Doesn't mean a damn thing without competition.

Do you have any SSF4 players in your area?
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

TYRANNICAL

• Strongest Tiger
  • Beast of Prey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: November 28, 2010, 10:56:36 PM »
Yeah, I got SSFIV players in my area.  But last I checked they laughed when I asked if they played KOF. 
KOF XIII:
-K'/EX Kyo/EX Iori
-K'/Andy/Kyo

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: November 28, 2010, 11:48:37 PM »
Why not bring it to a session for them to try out? And if they continue to laugh without trying it out, what about any BlazBlue players, etc?

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: November 28, 2010, 11:52:03 PM »
Yeah, I got SSFIV players in my area.  But last I checked they laughed when I asked if they played KOF.  

This is all too common. Most SSFIV players are SSFIV players and not fighting game players. My local scene is made up of about 17 people. Of those, there are 5 fighting game players, me included. We go to meet ups and generally play KoF, NGBC or other games at our own station. It's nice to have some local competition but it's disheartening when most SSFIV players won't even bother to try out other games.

Shinra Shiranui

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: November 28, 2010, 11:53:08 PM »
Yeah, I got SSFIV players in my area.  But last I checked they laughed when I asked if they played KOF. 

There is literally no KOF life in Florida. But there is a lan center where we go to play BB and SSF4(Zero Ping). Most likely the guys there will start a XIII scene when its released on console.
KOF XIII: EX Kyo,Mai,Saiki

TYRANNICAL

• Strongest Tiger
  • Beast of Prey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: November 29, 2010, 01:06:34 AM »
They are the BB players.  Or they were last I heard.

There is literally no KOF life in Florida. But there is a lan center where we go to play BB and SSF4(Zero Ping). Most likely the guys there will start a XIII scene when its released on console.
I know about Zero Ping.  It's not too far from me but I don't have a car.  I used to play there with Ben and some other GG people a ways back.  We parted ways and I don't keep in touch with them anymore.  I figured you may or may not be too far from me when I saw your location.
KOF XIII:
-K'/EX Kyo/EX Iori
-K'/Andy/Kyo

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: November 29, 2010, 01:15:56 AM »
Yeah, y'all two should plan a time to play in the future since you're from the same area of the state! :)