Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 547681 times)

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/user/smoai

17 new vids uploaded, first posted by SAB-CA in the vid thread. Imo the level of play in these vids is the highest seen yet.

Seems these guys clearly think that Neo Maxes and HD are a waste of meter. Almost all their combos are drive cancel based, usually ending in a normal super. And what combos they are, so much BS going on. Liz and Iori taking over 50% of life with just one drive cancel and super.

Love how Kim new  dash kick B&B combos look.

Takuma is definitely borked thanks to his meterless EX kick, tons of BS ensues after it lands. If its blocked then he's safe.

K' yeah, he's gonna be this game's 3S Ken by the looks of it.

Raiden's drop kick shinanigans are BS, all he needs is to jab you once in the air and you can wave goodbye to a huge chunk of your bar.

Kyo had crappy showing in the vids but its clear they know that QCF+K is not safe on block and they do not use it. One guy that did got stuffed by Kula's regular dp+A after the first kick.

Chin looks to have some crazy juggles, but we already knew that thanks to Kane. Seems there is an opportunity to hit/throw him during his overhead kick. His combos/juggles look very cool I think.

Ppl pick Mature ONLY for her infinity.

Oh and HD mode lasts way too long, you can take a huge chunk of life with just it, no need for super bars. This is the way these guys use it too, not for flash into supers and Neo Maxes.

If they fix the balance I think SNK may have created the best fighter yet, the play and flow in these vids was so friggin sweet.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:22:11 PM by Diavle »

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2010, 12:35:09 AM »
dude, if everything's broken, then everything's balanced.
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2010, 12:40:45 AM »
HECK YEAH.  I can finally learn (visually vs BBS theory) off someone's Chin.  I took some notes :)

XI

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2010, 03:15:18 AM »
It is just me or people rarely use Kyo's hcf+A/C move? All I see is people only use basic punch/kick and little variation with kick movelist (rdp+K or hcf+K)

SHwoKing

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2010, 08:49:25 AM »
It is just me or people rarely use Kyo's hcf+A/C move? All I see is people only use basic punch/kick and little variation with kick movelist (rdp+K or hcf+K)
Kyo doesn't have a hcf+A/C in KOF XIII. He does have a qcf+A/C Fireball though.

EDIT : and i agree with venusandeve . If lots of things are powerful (aka broken for others point of view) then the game is kinda cruel but still fair if all the characters have their powerful stuffs. And it seems that many characters has. It remember me GGXX where lors of character have abusable yet different tactics but was fair cause everyone has something overpowered to compete.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 11:47:23 AM by SHwoKing »

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2010, 01:40:55 PM »
dude, if everything's broken, then everything's balanced.

EDIT : and i agree with venusandeve . If lots of things are powerful (aka broken for others point of view) then the game is kinda cruel but still fair if all the characters have their powerful stuffs. And it seems that many characters has. It remember me GGXX where lors of character have abusable yet different tactics but was fair cause everyone has something overpowered to compete.

Thought of this as well but it would have to be more like 3rd Strike than MVC2 borked. No amount of borked will make Mature's, very much abusable, infinite balanced. In 3S a lot of characters are good just thanks to something specific, like Yun with his combo super and Urien with his Aegis traps. Like if you watch RX he often gets raped but once he has meter he rapes his opponent so hard. And this is what makes the game fun for people it seems since I read somewhere that Capcom fixed the Aegis thing in one of the versions but the fans didn't like that at all so they put it back. And it will have to be very lucky because 3S failed initially.

For this to work well a lot of characters will have to have something 'borked' about them, or we'll see the same few characters over and over going for one or two setups, which will make things very boring. As it stands, a lot of the cast was being ignored in those vids.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:03:33 PM by Diavle »

XI

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2010, 02:43:10 PM »

Well, yeah..I am talking about the fireball..It seems that qcf+A/C is extremely unpopular for Kyo to use..what gives?

Aion

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2010, 02:43:46 PM »
The problem I see is that some of these overpowered combo's are either:

A) Too long
B) Too easy
C) Both

fiol

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2010, 03:57:38 PM »
The problem I see is that some of these overpowered combo's are either:

A) Too long
B) Too easy
C) Both

that!
i agree with Aion...
I watched all those vids and i'm really impressed by the level of play, they were awesome! Loved how Chin and Kim turned out..
the pros (till now,imho):
-balanced (at least for the characters that ve been used)
-"""easy""" combos
the cons:
-Beth's combo is brainless
-Takuma (Tengu mask) is a beast and the followed up combo after the  ;db ;fd ;d is tremendus, more difficult than beth's but still too fucking damaging

KOF XIII: billy, ralf, clark
KOF XII: ralf,kyo,ryo

JTSNOW6

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2010, 07:10:28 PM »

Well, yeah..I am talking about the fireball..It seems that qcf+A/C is extremely unpopular for Kyo to use..what gives?

As a Kyo player myself all I can tell you is that it's too small and low to the ground to be of that much use except maaaybe to bait an occasional roll/jump

Also I can attest to the post earlier that not many people play with Ryo at AI... I partly have that to thank for my Ryo being a bit tough to deal with at times.  I just think there hasn't been a lot of practice against him.  BTW, ;fd ;a overhead shenanigans FOR LIFE!!!!!! :D

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2010, 08:19:15 PM »
A thought that keeps coming to me: we were all very impressed with EXcommand throw range when looking at the tech refs, but this seems to be one of the most under-exploited properties of EX moves in the game. As a matter of fact, throws in general seem to be overlooked almost 100% of the time.

I can understand the lack of Vice play, due to the Splash bug, but you rarely even seen Clarks or Maximas land throws, and even Raiden seems to have shown up for the purpose of other gimmicks, rather than grappling. Comically, I've seen Elisabeth and Benimaru make better use of throws than any of the grapplers. Even Goro seems to depend more on pokes and zoning, than actual Throw usage.

For those that have played, what's your reasoning on this? Are HD combos and EX Ranbu supers too much of a draw to waste meter on EX Throws? Do they not do enough damage, compared to the amount of corner float that certain EX moves cause? Or are people just sleeping on this option, since the game is still quite new?

bubblanAB7

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2010, 11:03:54 PM »
I haven't been that much into KoF but it seems to me that the grapplers never really want to grapple, at least not like a SF-grappler would.

The only problem with this game is that all the characters look too powerful. One moment you think that Liz is cheap and the next thing you see is Chin just crushing everybody with his crazy combos and overhead

Flowtaro

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2010, 11:13:43 PM »
A thought that keeps coming to me: we were all very impressed with EXcommand throw range when looking at the tech refs, but this seems to be one of the most under-exploited properties of EX moves in the game. As a matter of fact, throws in general seem to be overlooked almost 100% of the time.

I can understand the lack of Vice play, due to the Splash bug, but you rarely even seen Clarks or Maximas land throws, and even Raiden seems to have shown up for the purpose of other gimmicks, rather than grappling. Comically, I've seen Elisabeth and Benimaru make better use of throws than any of the grapplers. Even Goro seems to depend more on pokes and zoning, than actual Throw usage.

I have yet to play, but honestly i think you're getting the wrong impression. We have yet to see any actual high-level clark play, and in both the Raiden footage and Goro footage, they are throwing fools left and right.

I haven't been that much into KoF but it seems to me that the grapplers never really want to grapple, at least not like a SF-grappler would.

The only problem with this game is that all the characters look too powerful. One moment you think that Liz is cheap and the next thing you see is Chin just crushing everybody with his crazy combos and overhead

that sounds like the perfect game. i'm really disappointed that someone wouldn't want that kind of game.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2010, 12:04:28 AM »

I think that is great! Also the Arcade timer is set to 60 seconds, the damage done is proper to the time you have to beat someone else with full health. If the console version does have Damage Changer (you know, how much a attack will cause damage) and you can set the timer to 99, then we might have longer fights. Hopefully this is something that tournaments could take into consideration if they want longer matches.

bubblanAB7

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2010, 12:41:51 AM »
I meant to be sarcastic but there aren't any smileys here so it kinda got lost.

I think it's great that all of the characters are looking strong so far but I'm also a bit worried that everybody will have combos like Liz that doesn't require much meter and are easy to setup.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:46:04 AM by bubblanAB7 »