Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 547793 times)

Kusanagi-Style

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2010, 12:00:24 PM »
From what I've been reading on Japanese BBS site's is that Clark has a lot of good shenanigans with his gatling attack and his command hop.
KOF XIII: Iori/King/Yuri

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2010, 12:39:20 PM »
His hop always seemed pretty nice in XII, it really gave him unique moevment that people didn't expect.

Does anyone know if he can drive cancel out of moves into hop, especially when in HD mode? (;df ;a,  ;fd ;b ;d) looped a few times, was a solid CC with him in XII. Would like to do something similiar with HD mode, maybe ending in EX Vulcan into throw of your choice.

I agree with the Frankensteiner bit. It's why I still wish he had something derived off hop. Woulda loved a Hop into anti-crouch Shining Wizard with, say,  ;fd;b, anti-stand 'Steiner with  ;fd;d.

I find that tier list rather interesting, too. The only person who seems to get really really elevated by their glitch/bug moves is Mature. Otherwise, even powerhouse Betty is still only seen as A+, rather than S. Takuma does LOADS of hits, but his damage scaling also seems a bit more reasonable, to me, except in the longest possible combos.

I always felt that Iori, back in XII, was only really as strong as the person playing him. I still get that feeling here. As if he's really not special UNLESS you're very on point, and using him moves precisely right. Same feeling I get for Maxima in this game; Neither of these 2 look like people you'll just win with, due to being flat-out superior, it feels like you'll still have to work for it.

And to me, that's the sign of a well-made upper-tier character.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:41:23 PM by SAB-CA »

Kusanagi-Style

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2010, 01:44:56 PM »
You might be able to do an EX SAB after the command hop cause from looks of it Clarks EX SAB might be a 1 frame grab like Giefs EX SPD.
KOF XIII: Iori/King/Yuri

Crédo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2010, 02:04:53 PM »
Oh, man, this site is sweet and this thread even sweeter, I am glad to be a member of this community (sorry if I just seem kinda wasting the website's database, lol).

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2010, 02:20:37 PM »
HD combos are not practical, there I said it

You can activite HD in the midst of a combo or after an overhead and take over half a life bar without using any power stocks. Sounds practical to me.

SkatanMilla

• New Challenger
  • Bakyuun~
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2010, 02:42:45 PM »
I have to say that I'm surprised that Elisabeth isn't considered top this early on.
I get the feeling that the several characters from B-tier will make their way up into A, that group seems too big right now.
I just hope players experiment more with the characters in the B-tier so we get to find out what they're really capable of.
- Beasting or just regular beastiality? -

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2010, 03:40:17 PM »
lol at tier list... love how apparently C tier Ralf has 100% combos... people should stop with the mature infinite shit... cause without that she's more like B tier...

tier list & infinites aside, every character is solid as hell... everyone has huge comeback capabilities... and suffers from nothing retarded like gief vs. seth or tager vs. v-13... imo, Kof Xiii probably out does even T6's style of everyone being good...

on a note about Clark... it is very hard for me to accept him without dp.K... but besides that he has very good hit hit confirmable combos... and imo in this version whenever he can, it seems best to combo into other things rather than just grab combos... and to leave the grabbing aspect to be done by itself...
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2010, 04:38:23 PM »

You can activite HD in the midst of a combo or after an overhead and take over half a life bar without using any power stocks. Sounds practical to me.

But they are not. I'm not sure if you've seen the last batch of vids from japan, but it was about 17 vids (about 20+ matchs I think) with some of the best level of gameplay out there and there were only two failed attempts at an HD combo.

I would love to hear your opinion on why do you think that is?

I said the same thing 2 weeks ago on the IRC channel and everyone said it was too early to make that statement and that it not true. Is it now? Why are the Japs are not using HD combos? Can a statement from an american only be valid after the Japs confirm it?

But seriously guys, 17 vids almost 20+ matches and only 2 HD combos??? I don't think we need a genious to figure this one out, or do we?

@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2010, 05:00:18 PM »
But they are not. I'm not sure if you've seen the last batch of vids from japan, but it was about 17 vids (about 20+ matchs I think) with some of the best level of gameplay out there and there were only two failed attempts at an HD combo.

I said the same thing 2 weeks ago on the IRC channel and everyone said it was too early to make that statement and that it not true. Is it now? Why are the Japs are not using HD combos? Can a statement from an american only be valid after the Japs confirm it?

But seriously guys, 17 vids almost 20+ matches and only 2 HD combos??? I don't think we need a genious to figure this one out, or do we?

It shouldn't take a genius to figure out that it is a great damage and comeback option and can be triggerred off of a hit confirm (combo or overhead). All you need is the bar.

The next thing you will be saying is that Neo Maxes are usless because they were used only like once in all those vids combined. Lets forget the fact that Neomaxes like Roberts do good damage and have like 1 or 0 frame startup.

You can stick with the Japanese if you want but I will definitely try to have a no power stock HD combo or two down for each of my characters. Puts added fear into your opponent.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:03:59 PM by Diavle »

Gramas

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2010, 05:09:22 PM »
the option to have an HD combo WITHOUT any power stock is huge

especialy if you can trigger it from an overhead!(But I doubt you can hitconfirm the hd mode from the overhead)

The bar is there for your,It seems you dont need a  DC everytime...so why you wont use the bar?

SkatanMilla

• New Challenger
  • Bakyuun~
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2010, 05:20:50 PM »
The game has been out less than a month, I'd say it's too early to call weather it's possible to get consistent with HD combos.
In fact I'm willing to call that it will be entirely possible and common further down the line.
- Beasting or just regular beastiality? -

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2010, 05:58:10 PM »
Is it so impossible to believe that there will be different styles of play for this game, based on character played, and player in general?

Using HD Mode for combos can be just as effective as doing combos into EX's or supers. If you have a character who thrives on EX's coming up next, you might wanna sacrifice the HD in order to keep the Super Bar for the next chara. Or you might want to use 2 out of 5 Super meters, rather than using and cancels/HD mode, in order to keep a particularly useful Neomax lock and loaded.

Is HP gain after victory determined by the time remaining in this game, as it was in XII? If so, I could see another reason to choose to do a long, elaborate HD combo when losing anyway, rather than burning Super meters.

I don't think HD's fit every style of play, and I could see many choosing to forego such combos all together, but I think the practicality of HD will vary, depending on how apt the character you're playing is to doing damaging combos without HD mode, and on how far you are into your 3-man lineup.

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2010, 07:11:57 PM »
say for my main team. i would line them up like Ralf, Takuma, Maxima. look at it strategy wise.

first if i'm using Ralf then on the first round i would just turtle, poke, play safe and build meter. and his new style lets him do that far better than older versions. if i get him to later rounds i would mostly do 1/2 stock combos with no more than 1 DC. he doesn't really need HD mode.

this way most likely i'll have a full HD bar for Takuma and at least 1 stock. and anytime i connect with a command grab or jump-in, i can do a 70% HD combo. i would also try not to waste too many stocks, and keep my combos to a maximum of 2 stocks. Takuma has the best use for HD mode in my team.

now most likely Maxima will have a few stocks to work with. a minimum of 1 stock grants me big combos (ex qcb.P) or invincibility (ex dp.K). and the more meter i have the more devastating he becomes. Maxima has the best use for meter in my team.

IMO any character with hit confirmable & damaging meterless HD combos should go for it...
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

JTSNOW6

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2010, 07:48:31 PM »

Mr. KOF would like a word with you...

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2010, 07:51:44 PM »

It shouldn't take a genius to figure out that it is a great damage and comeback option and can be triggerred off of a hit confirm (combo or overhead). All you need is the bar.

The next thing you will be saying is that Neo Maxes are usless because they were used only like once in all those vids combined. Lets forget the fact that Neomaxes like Roberts do good damage and have like 1 or 0 frame startup.

You can stick with the Japanese if you want but I will definitely try to have a no power stock HD combo or two down for each of my characters. Puts added fear into your opponent.

Still in denial, that's fine.
say for my main team. i would line them up like Ralf, Takuma, Maxima. look at it strategy wise.

first if i'm using Ralf then on the first round i would just turtle, poke, play safe and build meter. and his new style lets him do that far better than older versions. if i get him to later rounds i would mostly do 1/2 stock combos with no more than 1 DC. he doesn't really need HD mode.

1. Good point, there.

this way most likely i'll have a full HD bar for Takuma and at least 1 stock. and anytime i connect with a command grab or jump-in, i can do a 70% HD combo. i would also try not to waste too many stocks, and keep my combos to a maximum of 2 stocks. Takuma has the best use for HD mode in my team.

2. Here is very situational, in order for you to START with 90%-100 HD meter on your second character I'm guessing and probably very sure that you WON the first round without using a single HD combo and did OK in your second again without using a SINGLE HD combo not even ONE. Now that you mentioned Takuma his actually got a really good use for DC, specially canceling into the command grab so I dont think you would want to save your meter. d.B,d.B, EX flying kick is probably what you wanna base your strategy around. If you are going to base your game around HOPING to land a solid standing C or a jumping hit, I dont think you are not going get many if any wins a against good players.

now most likely Maxima will have a few stocks to work with. a minimum of 1 stock grants me big combos (ex qcb.P) or invincibility (ex dp.K). and the more meter i have the more devastating he becomes. Maxima has the best use for meter in my team.

3. Also Maxima has a MONSTROUS combo out of one stock and one drive which IMO should be used anytime you have the opportunity.

IMO any character with hit confirmable & damaging meterless HD combos should go for it...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:56:23 PM by THE ANSWER »
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof