Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 548034 times)

Flowtaro

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2010, 07:55:23 PM »
yeah, because it's not like we ever saw any max mode combos in 2002...

oh wait

the HD gauge doesn't take that long to build up; it's not like you can't use both effectively

Gramas

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2010, 08:12:53 PM »
just 1 power stock(but you can go metereless for almost 80%)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOkEYXbrMEo

impractical?Lol

JeremyH

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2010, 08:44:29 PM »
I'm excited to see all the players that only fish for maxmode combos and wonder why they keep losing

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2010, 11:08:53 PM »
you can't just wait to do it... yes if you have the bar for it then sure go ahead... but if you don't have the right character or enough stock to do your big ass almost full life combo... then just punish the best you can without unnecessary usage of your meter...
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 10, 2010, 12:18:47 AM »
Fighting Game Knowledge Quiz Time!!!!!

Since I notice there are so many of you with so much knowledge about fighting games I would like your opinion on a general fighting game scenario about any fighting game and your are playing against I don't know J. Wong, Daigo, Ogosho, Daku, RF, Valle you pick.

Q: If you had the opportunity to inflict 20%-30% more damage on your opponent by using one of your "resources", would you do it?

Or if you knew that if you save this "resource" and NOT punish your opponent for MAX damage when you have the opportunity and let him go HOPING that in the "future" you MIGHT land a combo that will do even more damage. What would you do?

again remember who your opponent is and discuss...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:23:00 AM by THE ANSWER »
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

SkatanMilla

• New Challenger
  • Bakyuun~
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 10, 2010, 12:41:24 AM »
That's too vague of a question since everything depends on how much health they have before/after the combo i.e. how much impact that combo has on the round.
If it's to close out the round or to bring them close to 0% health then any means necessary to pay for that combo is worth it.
But if they're going to end up with 30-40%~ health left and you're entirely out of resources after then I would prefer to save them up so I'd be able to close them out in one swipe. You don't want to put yourself in a situation where your options are much more limited than your opponents.

Learning to weigh out when to use meter and when to not use it comes with experience, matchup knowledge and player knowledge all put together.
Say I'm playing against someone who I know crumbles easily when low on health I'd never hesitate to put them in that situation, but if I'd play against someone like Daigo who is very good at clutching it out when low on health I'd definitely want to close out the round entirely rather than leave him with low health.
So what I mean to say is that you can't really say there's a universal way of thinking when it comes to meter management, it's something that has to be decided on a case-by-case basis.
- Beasting or just regular beastiality? -

Gramas

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2010, 12:48:57 AM »
Fighting Game Knowledge Quiz Time!!!!!

Since I notice there are so many of you with so much knowledge about fighting games I would like your opinion on a general fighting game scenario about any fighting game and your are playing against I don't know J. Wong, Daigo, Ogosho, Daku, RF, Valle you pick.

Q: If you had the opportunity to inflict 20%-30% more damage on your opponent by using one of your "resources", would you do it?

Or if you knew that if you save this "resource" and NOT punish your opponent for MAX damage when you have the opportunity and let him go HOPING that in the "future" you MIGHT land a combo that will do even more damage. What would you do?

again remember who your opponent is and discuss...
I Think this is obvious but we were talking about an opportunity to use an HD mode,we werent talking about "DC vs HD mode"

anyway your question is realy stupid,at least in sf4 its realy common during high level of play save meter or sacrifice damage in favor of an untechable knockdown,especialy if your character can bait a throw using an invincible AND safe special(coz the meter,obv)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:51:09 AM by Gramas »

davidkong07

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2010, 12:55:31 AM »
any of you guys go to AI? if so, you and the answer should settle this in person on the cabinet hahahah
In it to win it!

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2010, 12:57:05 AM »
it really depends on the character in kof... say you are playing XI, using Adelheid vs. Gato... each are the last character... both at full life... and you just landed a b&b... and you have 3 stocks... and Gato has 4...

now it would be wise to spend upto only 2 bars... and saving that 1 more bar, rather than wasting it for maybe 10% more damage... why?

would you leave him with about 50% life and 1 DM stock stored to not only have the chance to do ANOTHER strong b&b... but to HELP you get out of random block string > FREE damage from his LDM... and ALSO giving you Anti-Air defense... >>> "OPTIONS" <<<

or would you leave him with 40% life... and NO stock... so that Gato can freely pressure you to death... and land back to back blocked > free 25%... oh AND building 1 MORE LDM in the process... while you have no reversals left... "...???"

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

Phoenixazure

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 10, 2010, 01:04:14 AM »
Well Answer and Kane are 2 of the AI regulars (EDIT: 4leaf and Ash as well -Kane317)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:37:03 AM by Kane317 »

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 10, 2010, 02:03:15 AM »
While watching some matches from smoai channel, I saw Elizabeth building meter by whiffing her qcf+P.

IIRC in the blog they say that you can't build meter by whiffing moves, ex: If you throw a fireball and your opponent roll or jump over it, the character who threw the projectile will not gain meter, unless the projectile hits or gets blocked.

So would this be considerate a glitch for Elizabeth?

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 10, 2010, 02:10:47 AM »
but every kof game that was the case... specials built meter no mater what...

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #177 on: August 10, 2010, 02:12:33 AM »
While watching some matches from smoai channel, I saw Elizabeth building meter by whiffing her qcf+P.

IIRC in the blog they say that you can't build meter by whiffing moves, ex: If you throw a fireball and your opponent roll or jump over it, the character who threw the projectile will not gain meter, unless the projectile hits or gets blocked.

So would this be considerate a glitch for Elizabeth?

I actually thought this too. But I believe the blog just meant "Fireballs don't build meter if they don't hit someone."

I actually like this though.

You'll also notice that Shen Woo builds meter by CANCELING SHEN WOO PUNCH!! This kinda suprised me.

So all fireballs in the game apparently build no meter, if they don't touch an opponent in some way. Yet other normals will actually build meter if whiffed. So, what does Ryo's Haoh Ken count as? Can Takuma get meter from his :b button fireball-like move, and not his ;a button fireballs? Could grapplers gain meter by whiffing command throws?

Yeah, this needs more research!

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 10, 2010, 02:23:14 AM »
HD won't build on whif, normal meter will. that's the theory of it anyway.
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^

4leaf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 10, 2010, 02:25:41 AM »
Shen can also build meter by canceling his charged qcf+C.
edit: SAB beat me to it

As for the HD deal. Take the 2nd match of AI's first vid (shen vs terry). All I was thinking most of that round was how to land an HD combo and nearly lost the match. I've even seen Mr.KOF almost lose a few games just so he can do an HD combo. It's all good for show but it wouldn't be the first thing in my mind during tourney play.