Author Topic: Where are fighters at, age-wise?  (Read 20475 times)

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Where are fighters at, age-wise?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 10:47:14 PM »
I've played the mk demo and when you cross someone up you turn around in the air to kick backwards. It is in no way weird to control, and combos are performed by doing preset button combinations like in most 3d fighters instead of just chaining basic attacks. After the preset combos you are quite free to utilize the juggling system as best you can.

I've also tried throwing scorpions spear twice in a combo, after the second spear the opponent just falls to the ground thus not allowing you to combo further.

I'm 22 btw, i have friends that are between 21 and 25 that are also interested in fighting games, though they are all quite different when it comes to what games they like and why. Some more open than others.

MvC3 is sweet imo, MK9 will be sweet (i'm hyped) kofxiii will be f'in sweet and chaos breaker should be released on ps3. Chaos code looks sort of like guilty gear and thus far seems more interesting than bb. Skull girls and arcana heart don't really interest me, but i could try them if given the chance. 3d games i only really like VF and SC, although i haven't played SC since the gamecube days. That's it for me, for now.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 12:13:44 AM »
Yeah I forgot about Skullgirls... MikeZ and company are really trying to make a fighter that's balanced and is worth people's time to get into...

...So I guess there's some kid who's really good with SF4 Fei Long and is dominating like crazy... Thing is he's only 13 years old... There might be hope after all...

http://shoryuken.com/content/cj-truth-13-year-old-phenomenon-3883/

Now if only there were young cats like that (especially in the states) who could crush in ST, 98, 02, and XIII... That would be inspiration for those up and coming into fighters or SNK fighters in particular...

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 12:47:26 AM »
The only thing I agreed with Aris on was that it is weird to see MK implementing a stance change feature. It makes no damn sense because the game is not 3D and from what I've seen, it's not as if back attacks are something big either defensively or offensively. To tell the truth, I think Ed Boon and the guys just added it to try to differentiate themselves just to have a feature that SF4 doesn't have. I think it's stupid but it's there game.

As for Aris, yeah he did make some other good points but he did whine like a little bitch too much. But I'm not surprised since he can't seem to put two sentences together without cursing or whine about something. Good player though.

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 01:01:08 AM »
I don't know anything about stance change in mk9 but i know that some combos make your character shift from righty to lefty or the other way around, depending on how your standing. It does not affect gameplay at all, it just shows that the characters are in full 3d. You can do this by the push of a button if you want to aswell if you want to.

To further explain, you make your character stand in the same stance, but with either front or back towards the screen.

If there is an actual stance change function it is probably not in the demo.

PureYeti

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 03:44:32 AM »
Its full 3D on a 2D plane. I think the flip button is just preference on which side you want to fight because of different animations from the punch and kick.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 04:17:22 AM »
Seems like they took a hint from VF, except there's no stance-based combos... Its just cosmetic...

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 05:25:41 AM »
...So I guess there's some kid who's really good with SF4 Fei Long and is dominating like crazy... Thing is he's only 13 years old... There might be hope after all...

Now if only there were young cats like that (especially in the states) who could crush in ST, 98, 02, and XIII... That would be inspiration for those up and coming into fighters or SNK fighters in particular...

Yep, someone playing KoF or something SNK as good as CJ does with SSF4, who's under 20 and from the U.S. would probably be a tremendous inspiration; could make a lot of players look bad, but that might help even more by showing accessibility.

I think/hope he's enough of an inspiration to fighters today if his age and skill gets noticed enough. As long as it's known that younger players can get into fighters and not just "Capcom" fighters, things for the genre can begin to look up.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:29:18 AM by solidshark »
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Nagare_Ryouma

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 10:15:12 PM »
I am 28.
Started with Street Fighter II and played a loooooot of fighters from the golden 2D era.
I wasnt very fond of KOF, I played it casually because a friend like it and the gameplay was ok, but I was more of a Capcom guy.
After some time, I ended up realizing that KOF was the most complex thing ever.

Ash Riot

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 07:47:06 AM »

That kid was actually in my pool for Evo 2010.  He's pretty good.  I think what's even cooler is the fact that his parents support him in competitive fighting games, despite how hectic certain people can be.  When I was his age, my parents barely let me leave the house, let alone go to local tournaments. :(

Louiscipher2501

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 10:08:21 AM »
Good players: Late teens into Twenties.

Bad players: Early teens.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 06:48:28 PM »
ive thought fighting games to my li cousins and my lil bros. my lil bros are 26, so their still og.my cousins though, the younger one is like 17 and i dont think many people his age know or played snk fighters. ive been playing them since they where toddlers.

people that dont have cool older cuz's like me ;) of even over 20 dont know the good shit. i think most of the people that know all the good fighters are at least my lil bros age (26) and older like me (up to 35?).
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 01:02:43 AM »
I'm 25, got into them when I was about 20 through emulation. I largely credit Garou and MVC1 for getting me into them. I've loved fighters ever since.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

BiGGDaddyCane

• Strongest Tiger
  • Got Bills?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 06:22:40 AM »
Started playing fighting games about........13 years ago, First game was the first Mortal Kombat on Sega. From then I was hooked on every Fighting Game / Every Competitive Fighting game. From Street Fighter, to Knockout Kings and so on. No matter how bad they were I'd made the best of them for self entertainment / just enjoyed them just because it was another fighter.

Then once I got the Dreamcast I really got into them. Then my first favorite game I played was KOF Dreammatch. I used to think the cover was so sick for how simple it was lol.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 06:30:35 AM »
Well I'm 20, I started just playing around with it back in the SF2 days.  Have early memories of playing things like MK, SF2, I think I have a slight memory of maybe KOF 94, but I'm not entirely sure (my childhood memories are HELLA fuzzy, especially when it comes to FG's for some damn reason).

My earliest memory was getting SFA3 from my brother for the PS1 when it came out (either 98 or 99, still fuzzy) and playing that to death...horribly.  Yeah, thought V-Ism was horrible, should give you a good idea on how much I knew about the game lol...nothing.

Didn't start really getting into them until the rerelease of MvC2 on the Marketplace.  Would've gotten into them earlier if I could actually find a goddamn copy of the game on the PS2 (thing was rare...stupid shortprint).

Anyway, did youtube, watched JWong beast on everyone like only JWong could do in that game, and it began.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

BiGGDaddyCane

• Strongest Tiger
  • Got Bills?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 06:51:25 AM »
Didn't start really getting into them until the rerelease of MvC2 on the Marketplace.  Would've gotten into them earlier if I could actually find a goddamn copy of the game on the PS2 (thing was rare...stupid shortprint).

Yeah, and back in the day on Ebay before they re-released it on XBLA & PSN; a copy of MVC2 for the Xbox, or PS2 went for like 50 to 60 dollars sometimes higher because of how rare they were since they stop making them IIRC. Lol, I still got 2 Original Dreamcast copys of the game, and the first ever MVC2 Prima Strategy Guide. good times.