Author Topic: Where are fighters at, age-wise?  (Read 20341 times)

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Where are fighters at, age-wise?
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2012, 10:56:23 AM »
To go a little OT from what Stone Drum is saying, I think even when the current 20-something crowd was playing and learning SF or whatever in the arcades, besides competition pushing us to learn, there were a lot of teachers back then, just like there can be now. Yeah there's more resources for learning things yourself now online, but having a part of the community teach someone about the game, even if just showing how to throw a fireball helps a lot more. Like I found with younger players, training them makes them feel included. Wish I could remember the name of the 13 year old kid that was trained by a pro-player in SF4 and did well at tournaments, but that's one of the best examples to date. If we can get more teachers in their 20's to show the ropes, we'd have a bigger bridge to work with.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Maker

• New Challenger
  • Train Hard, Fight Easy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2012, 08:15:41 PM »
Saw your reply shark and agan a little off topic but it sorta fits in with the older guys here. I may be a KoF rookie but im always down for teaching anyone anything i can to help them in a way it motivates me to become better at what i do so the people i train or assist dont hang their heads when i play.

Getting new blood to the scene is absolutely mandatory for our contnuance we just have to find people who are gonna be as dedicated as we are. Without the arcade most of my finding semi locals has gone down hill. No excuses i guess...
Always improve.

Ion317

• New Challenger
  • Heavy Handed
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2012, 01:17:33 PM »
I'm 28.  My first fighter was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:  Tournament Fighters.  My cousin came down from NY (I'm from SC, originally) and beat me down on it, saying that it was like Street Fighter.  He later took me down to arcade at the corner store and sat me down at SFII and Samurai Shodown, and I've been with fighters ever since.

Most of my family and friends that play fighters (pre '09-ers) range from the mid-20s to mid 30s.   I have some little cousins that have started up with the anime fighters in the last couple of years, but they seem to be intimidated by the amount of practice and effort required by real fighters to give them a honest shot, and would rather play FPSs and Skyrim instead..... :(

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2012, 03:25:03 PM »
Most of my family and friends that play fighters (pre '09-ers) range from the mid-20s to mid 30s.   I have some little cousins that have started up with the anime fighters in the last couple of years, but they seem to be intimidated by the amount of practice and effort required by real fighters to give them a honest shot, and would rather play FPSs and Skyrim instead..... :(

I'm 28.  My first fighter was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:  Tournament Fighters.  My cousin came down from NY (I'm from SC, originally) and beat me down on it, saying that it was like Street Fighter.  He later took me down to arcade at the corner store and sat me down at SFII and Samurai Shodown, and I've been with fighters ever since.

I think it's time for you to take up the teaching torch sir, if you can. If I have some young apprentices to teach in the future, it's probably going to be based on the game they want to play first.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Ion317

• New Challenger
  • Heavy Handed
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »

Just kidding.  ;)

When I get back home, I really do want to show everyone how fun these games can be.  I'm just stumped trying to figure out how to help build their motivation to practice and improve themselves.  

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2012, 11:42:42 AM »

Just kidding.  ;)

When I get back home, I really do want to show everyone how fun these games can be.  I'm just stumped trying to figure out how to help build their motivation to practice and improve themselves.  

Just step-by-step. From normal and all their properties to HD combos (if at all). Let them experiment a little as well, but be there to teach them for the most part. If the game itself doesn't draw them in after you show them a lot, I might not push it much.

What was the pic supposed to be btw?
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Ion317

• New Challenger
  • Heavy Handed
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2012, 12:30:14 PM »
Haha just saying that I'm still learning myself, so it's hard to teach anyone else.

DarkCoffin

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2012, 08:42:04 PM »
22. First fighting game was MK on SNES. Awesome.

Oh man and I remember my mom getting pissed when she found out about the blood in MK2 when me and my brother got her to rent it for us. Good times lol.

I don't think I played a KoF until 2000 or 2001 when my elementary used to hold events at this skating rink. Unfortunately the arcade scene here was dying down before I hit high school so I never really got to play all that much after Jr. High (not that I got to go to the arcades all that much either way).
PSN: Sushi-maru

calibur753

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
MK 1 and SF 2 was my first fighting games at 5 years old, I got into KOF after CVS 1, KOF 99 was my first one.
I'm a O.G. of Fighting Games and always looking for a good fight. think you can beat me ? hit me up on xbox live. my gamer tag is, CALIBUR753

Eckertmania

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2012, 01:07:08 AM »
28. I started at 7 years old with SF2 in my local arcade. My first KOF was '99 Evo on the Dreamcast, and the first game I started to take seriously enough to want to actually learn the ins and outs of and want to play at a competitive level was SF4.

zerotrigger

• New Challenger
  • PSN:jt-exceed twitch:irregular_2x(coming soon)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2012, 08:35:31 AM »
I'm 27, started my career with Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter II at 8, was no good at either of them(never really cared for MK) and swore never to play another fighter. I broke my words at 12 when Capcom's vs. series as well as Street Fighter III were gaining steam at that time I wanted to do more than just a Hadou-Ken or mash buttons. I first encountered KOF in 2000 and admit was intrigued but knew of no one who played SNK fighters when I lived in Brooklyn.Fast forward to almost a year ago when I found some tourney footage from Japan on youtube and plus the fact that I don't like the direction SF was going caused me to come over to further my knowledge of the KOF games. Learning the nuts and bolts of these games(starting with XIII)is hard but I don't quit easily.   
It's a long road to become the King Of Fighters, but Zero is willing to walk it.

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2012, 02:28:51 AM »
I'm 34 now. Started with fighting. Probably in 1987 with Mat Mania. Saw my sister's friend do a command move where he was in the ring and the opponent was outside he ran and fell on top of him. Simple to nowadays but I was hooked since.

SF II WW was where I saw real competition for the first time. 42 year olds playing the 10 year olds all trying to figure out this amazing game. Nowadays it seems everybody can do a qcf motion, but back then to see someone pull a fireball out was amazing.

I was very active in the local community for years. Supporting SNK, Capcom, and Namco mostly, but I did play other titles. It's aways been an uphill battle for fighters once you get into the mid 90's the wow factor wore off and you would constantly see people look for the next game to shock them. Whether it be Tekken 3 and above, Soul Calibur 2 with the console exclusive characters like Link, and Heihachi (nobody I knew really cared about Spawn), or more realistic fighters like Bushido Blade, the crowds constantly moves towards something else that could amaze them.  The hardcore group could be found, but as we all know WE don't have the final say.

Nowadays this new generation IMO gravitates either toward the easier to get into fighters like Smash Bros. , or recognizable games like Naruto, Dragon Ball, etc. Street Fighter IV was kinda a fluke cause of people knowing all those animes saying "Hey I know Ryu!". Copuled with 3d graphics that the new generation wants to see.  Similar. IMO is Mortal Kombat with all the media surrounding it The new generation can identify a bit to the story from the movies and tv shows. KOF just didn't have much susccess in the media market except for Fatal Fury which IMO is why Terry Bogard is so popular.

I have brought a system or 2 to an anime convention. It seems most would either want to play Smash Bros or Marvel vs Capcom. It's kinda sad but if the kids don't  already know your product, then there is a hesistancy to pick something new up.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

maddcheddah

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2012, 06:57:34 AM »
I'm 27 years old and I have always played fighters casually because I always beat my friends, but never made friends who were good at fighters. I started out playing MK and Samurai Shodown at the local liquor store because everyone hogged the SF2 machine.