Author Topic: Garou: Mark of the Wolves Thread - Everything you need to know  (Read 91628 times)

purplecity

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
    • My Music, have a dance
Re: Garou: Mark of the Wolves Thread - Everything you need to know
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2011, 01:08:48 AM »
Thanks for answering.
I realised shoryuken is updating shortly after posting, at the time of writing i was just getting strange "compression failure" errors on loading the pages. Hopefully soon i can get back to sifting through the 90ish pages on the GetReadySurvive! thread before asking other questions that have probably been answered...

The trouble i have with the Motion Stored Guard Cancels is the speed of reacting to an attack/ stopping when there was no attack to JD, is it really possible to "confirm" the JD before committing to the cancel, if that makes sense ? To make it a safe attack.
For example, if both players are landing at the same time from an air clash or something similar and i anticipate an attack on landing, I could buffer in a special then JD as i fall and land, then GC to counter, but i don't feel like there is enough time between the JD and the GC to wait and see if the JD connects before i commit to the counterattack, (7 frames??) so at the moment im just committing either way... If they actually just land and block, i have just committed to the action and thrown out a move, which is liable to serious punishment.

Do i just need sharp reflexes to only continue when i see the JD, and not persue otherwise? Or do you need to "know" before you do it. I watch many high level matches and i can't figure if the players are all psychic, or have insane fast reactions when it comes to these situations.

many thanks :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 01:10:58 AM by purplecity »

Nocturnal

• Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2011, 09:30:06 AM »
Thanks for answering.
I realised shoryuken is updating shortly after posting, at the time of writing i was just getting strange "compression failure" errors on loading the pages. Hopefully soon i can get back to sifting through the 90ish pages on the GetReadySurvive! thread before asking other questions that have probably been answered...

The trouble i have with the Motion Stored Guard Cancels is the speed of reacting to an attack/ stopping when there was no attack to JD, is it really possible to "confirm" the JD before committing to the cancel, if that makes sense ? To make it a safe attack.
For example, if both players are landing at the same time from an air clash or something similar and i anticipate an attack on landing, I could buffer in a special then JD as i fall and land, then GC to counter, but i don't feel like there is enough time between the JD and the GC to wait and see if the JD connects before i commit to the counterattack, (7 frames??) so at the moment im just committing either way... If they actually just land and block, i have just committed to the action and thrown out a move, which is liable to serious punishment.

Do i just need sharp reflexes to only continue when i see the JD, and not persue otherwise? Or do you need to "know" before you do it. I watch many high level matches and i can't figure if the players are all psychic, or have insane fast reactions when it comes to these situations.

many thanks :)

You need to just look at the situation you are in and decide what is the best option really. It just depends on how the opponent reacts to what you do in certain situations. Your reaction also factors into the situation as well. If you do the motion store option select and he doesn't do anything you can still just use the any button into ;d to continue pressure etc. That way you wont get any accidental specials/supers to come out from storing the motion. You also have to realize that there are also options the opponent can use to counter your GC option select as well. It can get pretty technical though because there are so many otions you can usually do after a air to air trade and you both are landing next to each other. It depends whether you have meter or not. Also depends on the character you are using. Each character has different options during a wake up or after landing from a trade hit. So just test things out and see what works for you. Best thing to do is look at match videos and see what people tend to use in certain situations.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:47:45 AM by Nocturnal »
http://youtube.com/profile?user=JaimeDL = Garou MOTW Videos

http://www.twitch.tv/jaimedl = Garou MOTW streaming from time to time.

purplecity

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
    • My Music, have a dance
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2011, 11:35:04 PM »
Iv seen alot from your channel, and also the Aerendir Giby and yourself 4hour video was really helpful, especially in seeing a Hotaru player tear it up at the howard arena. it gives me hope when i get buried by Kevin / Jenet players.

If you do the motion store option select and he doesn't do anything you can still just use the any button into d; to continue pressure etc. That way you wont get any accidental specials/supers to come out from storing the motion

This is what i needed to hear.. back to the lab !

Nocturnal

• Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2011, 08:48:03 PM »
Iv seen alot from your channel, and also the Aerendir Giby and yourself 4hour video was really helpful, especially in seeing a Hotaru player tear it up at the howard arena. it gives me hope when i get buried by Kevin / Jenet players.

If you do the motion store option select and he doesn't do anything you can still just use the any button into d; to continue pressure etc. That way you wont get any accidental specials/supers to come out from storing the motion

This is what i needed to hear.. back to the lab !

As long as you understand what the other characters options are the match ups become less of a pain really. It's all from the experience you get playing the game. Hotaru has the tools to give even the higher tier characters problems. I'm glad I could help though.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2011, 03:29:09 PM »
I've played Garou VERY casually since I bought it for my Dreamcast in early 2002. Thanks to the info in this thread, it's pretty much the only fighter I've played in the past 2 weeks. I'm really enjoying it now that I have a much deeper understanding of the systems at play.

I've tried out the whole cast and found Dong Hwa to be the character I click with. I'm also working on Rock as a project since I find the character interesting. I'm having the hardest time mastering the vacuum toss command grab. Any words of wisdom on how to best perform this move?

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2011, 05:18:33 PM »
I'm having the hardest time mastering the vacuum toss command grab. Any words of wisdom on how to best perform this move?

You don't have to do the whole 360 motion, you can just do HCF+up or up forward and then punch. You can also use his AB overhead to kara cancel into it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:20:53 PM by Diavle »

Nocturnal

• Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2011, 08:51:23 PM »
You can actually kara into any of his normals or even his ;dn + ;a + ;b so you stay grounded. Like Diavle already mentioned you just need to do  ;bk ;db ;dn ;df ;fd, ;up/ ;uf + ;c and not a full 360 motion.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:53:56 PM by Nocturnal »

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2011, 09:39:12 PM »
Thanks! I'm pretty consistent with the vacuum toss and am working on the Brake follow up.

Giby

• Strongest Tiger
  • Man Chest
    • View Profile
    • snk-capcom dot com
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2011, 10:28:46 PM »
You shouldn't concern yourself with doing the follow up. Depending on where you are and the angle you throw them at, you should follow up with super or  ;dn ;df ;fd;a. If you throw them in the corner, you can follow up with a   ;dn ;db ;bk;a into  ;dn ;df ;fd ;dn ;df ;fd + ;k. If you throw them and they hang over your head for a bit you can follow up with a  ;dn ;df ;fd ;dn ;df ;fd;a\;c. If you throw them across the screen, you can either do  ;dn ;df ;fd;a or, if you have meter,  ;dn ;db ;bk;d followed by  ;dn ;df ;fd ;dn ;df ;fd;k. If you do that right you should teleport and the opponent will be about head level, giving you enough time to pull off super and have all the hits hit.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »
Speaking of Rock, I had a few questions since I haven't been able to test these out recently:

1. Can the opponent tech upon landing after getting Vacuum Tossed???

2. Is the fully charged version the Vacuum Toss break unblockable, guard breakable, or Just Defendable???

3. If the Vacuum Toss break is guard breakable, are there any guaranteed setups from this move or does this leave both opponents at some neutral state because of revocery times???

Also...

Who do you consider to be good Marco players, and what do you normally see them exhibit??? I tend to come across some matches where the player is either learning him, or trying to play him like its SF. I know I need to constantly break ;dp + ;a / ;c and his followups are situational as well, but I tend to play him with a pseudo-zone/counter mindset, doing throw/overhead mixups only on a few characters, and after picking up Grant, and Rock, I feel like when I play with Marco that I'm not using him to his full potential-- that or he's just that simple that he doesn't have anything else to him... Oh yeah, what moves should I avoid if I want to keep charging either ;c or ;d with Marco???

purplecity

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
    • My Music, have a dance
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2011, 05:22:25 PM »
TRF Garou 1 on1 Tournament(7/5/08) on Nocturnal's channel

starts at (3 of 8)...im not sure who the Marco player is but he is pretty nasty.

Nocturnal

• Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2011, 11:24:03 AM »
Speaking of Rock, I had a few questions since I haven't been able to test these out recently:

1. Can the opponent tech upon landing after getting Vacuum Tossed???

2. Is the fully charged version the Vacuum Toss break unblockable, guard breakable, or Just Defendable???

3. If the Vacuum Toss break is guard breakable, are there any guaranteed setups from this move or does this leave both opponents at some neutral state because of revocery times???

Also...

Who do you consider to be good Marco players, and what do you normally see them exhibit??? I tend to come across some matches where the player is either learning him, or trying to play him like its SF. I know I need to constantly break ;dp + ;a / ;c and his followups are situational as well, but I tend to play him with a pseudo-zone/counter mindset, doing throw/overhead mixups only on a few characters, and after picking up Grant, and Rock, I feel like when I play with Marco that I'm not using him to his full potential-- that or he's just that simple that he doesn't have anything else to him... Oh yeah, what moves should I avoid if I want to keep charging either ;c or ;d with Marco???

1. When you are getting tossed you are in a falling state so think of it as if you were knocked down and a getting up from a grab. The same rule would apply here.

2. If you fully charge Rock's ;a + ;b after his 360 grab it is unblockable because they are in a juggle state. It's mainly just used for timing when to hit them as they fall. A lot of the times it can whiff cause it has a strange hitbox. It's better to just to do his break then do a fireball or his TOP attack or his supers for more damage.

3. The only real unblockable setup you can do after his 360 grab is doing Rock's 0 frame setup. The setup is: 360 + ;c, ;a + ;b, then ;dn ;df ;fd + ;c, ;fd, ;df, ;dn ;db ;bk, ;fd + ;a (unblockable). The same rule applies here for a 0 frame setup because you are hitting them out of the air with ;dn, ;df, ;fd + ;c. As they are landing it puts in them in the 0 frame setup.

As for Marco players the best Marco in Japan right now is Tamura. He plays a very aggresive Marco style and has some nice guard crush setups with him. He uses the orange color Marco. He's in a lot of the recent matches I've uploaded recently so you can see how he uses him.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:22:41 PM by Nocturnal »

Dr.Faust

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2011, 06:18:14 AM »
hay how do you play as  kain on ggpo. also at the end of a match should i hit restart so me and my opponet can reselect out characters
KOF Teams
Beni,Leona,???

Nocturnal

• Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2011, 09:44:57 AM »
hay how do you play as  kain on ggpo. also at the end of a match should i hit restart so me and my opponet can reselect out characters

I don't get your first question. Do you mean how do you play Kain on GGPO or are you asking for my ggpo name? On GGPO you pretty much are using him the exact same way really as you would offline. I would say it's harder using Kain online cause a lot of his stuff requires strict timing.

If you and your friend are just picking different characters each time then yea you would have to reset everytime. Unless you guys play all the characters well enough you can always just do roullete to be random.

jt4mtb

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2011, 10:28:59 PM »
Anyone who's around the Philly, PA area and wants to play, I'm having a monthly Garou session next Friday night (6/17). People are free to come by anytime after 7-8pm. I'm located in Glenolden, which is near the airport. Let me know if you're thinking of coming by. Otherwise, I should have a stream running.
--JT