Author Topic: Garou: Mark of the Wolves Thread - Everything you need to know  (Read 90923 times)

Nocturnal

• Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
Re: Garou: Mark of the Wolves Thread - Everything you need to know
« Reply #150 on: December 19, 2011, 10:36:44 PM »
Is there some kind of good recovery from a bad normal jump attack? I always ended up getting thrown before I can punish when the opponent is about to land.

Sorry for the late response been pretty busy this month. Are you talking about if you do an early jump attack and hit them? or just a normal jump attack whiffing before landing? It really depends. If the opponent lands before you then he will have the advantage since you are still recovering from the jump and land. If you both are landing at the same time then you have a few options. You can try backdashing as soon as you land, reversal with a good priority special/super (risky though), you can try going for a tech if think a throw is coming. Best thing I think would be doing an option select throw + motion store. So lets say if you are Terry and you both are landing. You can do 623, tap 1 then hold it while pressing B+D right as you land. What will happen here is if they do nothing you get a down + B then you can follow up with another down + B+D into kick super. If they go for a throw you will tech because you inputed B+D together which counts as both inputs. D will let you tech throws as well not just C. If they lets say they do a reversal super then you have 2 options from it: you will JD the first hit then you can GC into dp + B/D if you just press B/D. You can also just press B/D to get a reversal B/D then break (A+B) if you think they might just block. So you get a few options just from doing the motion store input technique.

I hope that answers your question. If not just let me know your exact situation and I can give you a better break down of options to go for. Also the same tecnique applies to all the characters but you have to make sure the special you want to motion store has good priority first.
http://youtube.com/profile?user=JaimeDL = Garou MOTW Videos

http://www.twitch.tv/jaimedl = Garou MOTW streaming from time to time.

djdelly

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 26, 2011, 11:10:33 PM »
love me some garou... getting better with the whole cast since I've last played anyone. 

Nocturnal

• Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »
I know it's been dead here but for those still interested in the game. Total Eclipse is happening this weekend. Can check the website here: http://www.classic-evo.net/~eclipse/. There isn't anymore word on a stream yet but stay tuned I'll keep you all posted.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2012, 11:19:37 PM »
A Hotaru player won it last year right?

Nocturnal

• Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2012, 01:15:48 PM »
A Hotaru player won it last year right?
Yes Gonchan won it last year with Hotaru. Hayato won it this year with Gato.

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2012, 10:20:57 PM »
Not completely dead, just bought it. I'd already played MOTW, on emus. Man it's been too long. Best 10 bucks in a long while though. I'm amazed how different this game is from kof, alot more than i remember. guess i never payed attention to the fine details of FGs till recently.
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^

Potable Potpourri

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2012, 06:46:36 AM »
Considering all the Shoryuken links are dead, wouldn't it be a good idea to add a Garou section to the Dream Cancel wiki?

Nocturnal

• Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »
Considering all the Shoryuken links are dead, wouldn't it be a good idea to add a Garou section to the Dream Cancel wiki?

That would be a good idea but will take sometime. I still haven't finished working on the Shoryuken wiki though -_-.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 29, 2012, 05:54:43 PM »
Playing a bit of CVS2 (i'm not any good at it though) made me try to play Garou again. I mained Gato for the longest time but I'm starting to enjoy using Rock again. I know Nocturnal insists that Gato has the best AA game there is but I don't see it unless he means Guard Cancelling his QCB+B into B move.

I know Rock is considered low but he has some interesting tech. I like his counter a lot. A big problem I had was dealing with jump in pressure/mixup and Rock kinda' makes them think twice about doing that, or at least makes them try to set it up differently as his counter will whiff certain moves. I'm trying to get down his 360 without using his qcb+D move because I like using a character who has actual tick throws and isn't Kevin. I like the fact that you can use his counter on their wakeup. That's one of the big problems I have with Garou is being grabbed on wakeup. That and empty jump and grab is just not an option unless you have a command grab.

He's a good jack of all trades character and if it weren't for negative edge he'd be a little more viable. It's much harder then it should to land crB into either of his Kick Supers.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #159 on: October 29, 2012, 06:40:24 PM »
Alot of old school fighters let you wake up into a throw if you are right next to your opponent.

Empty Jump into throws is definitely an option in Garou. If you do an empty jump and your opponent tries to block a jump-in that doesn't happen, it's a free throw attempt for you most of the time. If they try to anti-air you in any way, you can Just Defend. Or you can do an early jump attack and then throw soon as you land in front of your opponent if they didn't do anything. It's weird. I dunno. On the other hand, throw teching is usually pretty lenient in this game, it's not messed up like KOF is.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:26:07 PM by Running Wild »

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 29, 2012, 07:53:34 PM »
I've tried doing that many times and for some reason empty jump throw never works. I can literally jump in and hold a direction, push them for a few seconds and I still couldn't grab them.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2012, 06:07:14 AM »
I wanna get an opinion from you guys who managed to play both MOW and NGBC. I main Rock in NGBC, and I actually want to learn him in MOW (been maining Gato, Marco, and Grant for the longest). How good (or bad) is Rock in MOW compared to his other counterpart???

Also, would the translation from NGBC Rock to MOW Rock be easy or rather intermediate to difficult???

Mazinkaiser

• Strongest Tiger
  • Debiru Mashin
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 07, 2012, 10:22:49 AM »
Still loves for Garou... Nocturnal what do you think abount dong? is him worth or i have to switch to someone else.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #163 on: December 25, 2012, 04:22:12 AM »
I've tried doing that many times and for some reason empty jump throw never works. I can literally jump in and hold a direction, push them for a few seconds and I still couldn't grab them.

I know when I throw I can't hold a direction when I do it... It's like a directional tap + C and then I get it... Plus, I think the timing changes because of the recovery from jumping, but with that I'm not sure...

I'm not really about tiers, and not to sound hypocritical when asking, but do you guys feel that Tizoc is still "viable" even though the throw glitch hurts him alot??? Just wanna hear your guys' opinion...

Also, I'm not sure if I asked this yet or at all, but what makes Kevin so friggin' top??? I have yet to see solid play from one, but when I look up Gato or B.Jenet, there's always some solid high level play on vids to watch... Is it that rare to see him in high level action???

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #164 on: December 25, 2012, 07:00:50 AM »
I think Tizoc is very viable, he has alot of really good pokes in my opinion, and even with the throw bug, it's not like he can't still use tick throw setups to be offensive and mix it up. It's just when Tizoc is on the defensive, his punishment tools are really lackluster compared to anybody else. Being able to Just Defend and Guard Cancel consistently are probably requirements to make the most of Tizoc. Plus his damage is insanely good when he nets it.

As for Kevin, reason why he's so top... he can build meter extremely quickly, he can chain multiple DM's together, his break move hits low and is very safe, if he scores any random counter hit, that's easily half a life bar or more, he's got good evasive moves, his normals are all very strong. Everything about him is good.

I'll admit though, it is kinda rare that I ever see high level gameplay from Kevin in most tournaments, I see way more Gato, Jenet or the Kim Bros.