Poll

Which defensive system do you like better?

Deflection from LB2
0 (0%)
Just Defend from Garou
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: April 04, 2011, 04:24:27 AM

Author Topic: Deflection vs Just Defend  (Read 8834 times)

solidshark

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Deflection vs Just Defend
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 03:30:56 AM »
One of these days we'll have to play again. Last Blade 2 this time I hope. I was so off balance on LB1 that I can barely recall anything about the matches. Might fire up LB2 on the MVS soon.

I look forward to matching against you again. Circumstances now might make it a while before we can, but can't wait either way. I forget if it was you or Jinx who used Okina, but I know how dangerous he'd be again.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 02:39:17 PM »
Just Defend has almost no risk. It's like a dumbed down parry without nearly as much risk which makes it more friendly to casuals.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 11:44:59 PM »
True, but it serves a purpose in making fights more cerebral. You can't mail home a win in MOTW with tactics like throwing fireballs when opponents have no health, or using predictable moves just to get guard damage. It makes you think about what to throw out there. No health lead ever feels safe with 2 good players. T.O.P. Gauge + JD = Lots of Comebacks.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 09:17:06 PM »
If you're fighting a good Gato who knows how to qcb+B~A+B and JD, expect a ridiculously tough match, whether you're at a health lead or not...

One of these days we'll have to play again. Last Blade 2 this time I hope. I was so off balance on LB1 that I can barely recall anything about the matches. Might fire up LB2 on the MVS soon.

I look forward to matching against you again. Circumstances now might make it a while before we can, but can't wait either way. I forget if it was you or Jinx who used Okina, but I know how dangerous he'd be again.

Both Yeti and myself used Okina, but his was more deadly imo, especially considering he knew the best options at all ranges, and had deflect combos... That mixup was ridiculous also...

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 02:08:34 AM »
Just Defend has almost no risk. It's like a dumbed down parry without nearly as much risk which makes it more friendly to casuals.

The difficult part with Just Defend is utilizing the Guard Cancels. If you GC too early or GC into a move with too much start-up or no Invulnerability frames, you'll get snuffed or trade. Ideally you'll want to GC into a Super.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »

The difficult part with Just Defend is utilizing the Guard Cancels. If you GC too early or GC into a move with too much start-up or no Invulnerability frames, you'll get snuffed or trade. Ideally you'll want to GC into a Super.

Even still, it's still generally better than Deflecting/Repelling... I mean with Repelling, there's the possibility to do more damage, but it's still riskier than JD...

I thought each character had a specific move that they would do when Guard Cancelling, kinda like JJBA... Is there some type of Renda trick, or can you just do any input after Guard Canceling???

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 08:18:10 PM »
MOTW has a a pretty long buffer window, it's made even easier if you JD multi-hit attacks.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 09:40:09 PM »
I don't remember, but do the majority of supers have some sort of invincibility window, or is it like XIII where some do and some don't???

I'm lookin' to get back into this and Vsav alot more...

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 10:06:34 PM »
Some do and some don't, it also differs depending whether it's level 1 or level 2.

keobas

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
AS Nocturnal said, both mechanics works well int heir respective game. Its pretty difficult to compare them as both game have different in nature. One has influences on the user(Just defend) and the other has influences on the opponent. ( Repel). Main distsinction between the two is one is in controlled environment and other is not.

Just defend is versatile while granting these things, nullifying any damage, life/power gain, and less gaurd stun, also allowing Air block and guard cancel. But even with all these benefits, Just defend is just an enhance blocking method that can be exploited by the opponent if respond accordingly.

While Repel/deflect rewards are guarantee a momentum switch on the opponent that can't be alter in any way if done successfully. Theirs even guard cancel that I think guarantees an vulnerable opponent as well and some invincibility. Though a none successful  repel can be risky and costly, not to mention repel is limited to physical base attacks.

In the end JD has less risk and versatile in usage, but it'l only mitigate the defensive situations of the user at with limits base on the user resources. While Repel has clear distinction who has the advantage as the user has complete control while the opponent is vulnerable for set period of time.

Personally I'm fan of repel considering these.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:01:17 PM by keobas »