Author Topic: 2k2UM Newbie, emigrated from SSF4  (Read 3445 times)

Winterkit

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
2k2UM Newbie, emigrated from SSF4
« on: March 18, 2011, 10:55:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a UK player who's recently just got into KoF. I'm currently learning in 2k2UM, and the team I'm currently trying to learn is Whip/King/Clarke, or occasionally Blue Mary mixed in. Mary's fun, but counters are a lot harder to pull off in this than SF. I've been pampered by Gouken and Karin..
Current XIII team:
1st. Clarke
2nd. King
3rd. Kula (looking to change)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: 2k2UM Newbie, emigrated from SSF4
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 11:08:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a UK player who's recently just got into KoF. I'm currently learning in 2k2UM, and the team I'm currently trying to learn is Whip/King/Clarke, or occasionally Blue Mary mixed in. Mary's fun, but counters are a lot harder to pull off in this than SF. I've been pampered by Gouken and Karin..

Welcome to the world of KOF and DC!  2k2UM is a great game to learn KOF and also one of the most popular titles.  If you don't mind me asking, what drew you towards KOF and way from SF4?

Winterkit

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 12:44:45 AM »
A friend recommended KoF, and I was getting a bit tired of Street Fighter. 4 is a solid game, but I guess I wanted to find something else to learn and sink my teeth into. I'm worried I've joined the KoF community a bit late, though.. It seems like it's not as popular now as it was before, though what I've heard about XIII is promising (if they ever get around to releasing it here..).
Current XIII team:
1st. Clarke
2nd. King

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 12:51:09 AM »
Well, like a lot of people here have said, XIII is a really new game that happens to share a lot with games like 2k2UM and 98UM. So I wouldn't worry about not being able to join right now since a lot of us still have not had a chance to play 13. But I will say though, don't be intimidated by all the extra stuff that KoF presents the player. What I mean by that, is all the different kind of jumps, rolls and extra things you can do with power stocks.

Winterkit

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:00:46 AM »
Well, like a lot of people here have said, XIII is a really new game that happens to share a lot with games like 2k2UM and 98UM. So I wouldn't worry about not being able to join right now since a lot of us still have not had a chance to play 13. But I will say though, don't be intimidated by all the extra stuff that KoF presents the player. What I mean by that, is all the different kind of jumps, rolls and extra things you can do with power stocks.

Hehe, Dandy J's tutorial was a good introduction to stuff like that. I still don't have a clue how to effectively use the MAX gauge, though. But I suspect that will come with time.
Current XIII team:
1st. Clarke
2nd. King

Shinra Shiranui

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 02:21:31 AM »
Welcome to DC, learning how to use MAX mode should be the last thing to learn. Focus on learning their normals, match-ups, and jumping. Also give yamazaki a try, he can counter almost anything even unblockables
KOF XIII: EX Kyo,Mai,Saiki

Winterkit

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 08:55:17 PM »
I suspect it's just the pace of the game I'm not used to in regards to counters. Also the odd way they're grouped with some characters. I'll get the hang of it with time, I'm sure.
Current XIII team:
1st. Clarke
2nd. King

Nagare_Ryouma

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:34:38 PM »
I have always been more of a Capcom guy (still played SNK titles like Fatal Fury), but there was a point where I had to face reality.
KOF is da shit!!!
The reason why, is because it is extrematelly DEEP.
It will take a long time to really master the style, cause there are a lot of things to learn.
You have to learn how to use each tool works, againts others and againts yourself.
I can say I pretty much reached my top level, but still, sometimes I learn a little here and there.
Good thing is if you are new to KOF and you like it so far, it only gets better from now on.

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 10:10:01 AM »
Hey welcome to DC! Also, you should come try RB2 with us sometime as its very deep and a very good game. If you're used to SSFIV, you may feel more at home there and might help your transition into KoF better.

BOT2K

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 05:30:55 PM »
Hey I'm in the uk too. I just start on kof12. PSN BOT2K

Dark Geese

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 06:22:07 PM »
Hi everyone,

Welcome to DC, I am a hardcore 2k2UM Tougeki player and will be more than happy to help you learn the game!!! =) Take a look at the 2k2UM section within the forum and if you cannot find anything to your heart's content please feel free to ask!!!! =)

-DG