Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Video Thread  (Read 1037668 times)

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Video Thread
« Reply #1560 on: June 28, 2011, 06:29:46 AM »

I like how DDTC mentions that there's even more combo potential Kim has than what he's shown, and Kim has had the longest video so far I think. Can't wait for his Hwa Jai.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: June 28, 2011, 06:40:09 AM »

4 days late but... I know we got a bunch of videos in one day, so I assume nobody caught these matches as it was another nail biting end.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: June 28, 2011, 06:56:13 AM »
nice, shame he didnt show any combos going from EX hangetsuzan into  ;fd ;fd ;a in corner or something like NM catch afterwards just to show the posibilety. awesome vid none the less though.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #1563 on: June 28, 2011, 07:07:31 AM »
Yeah, Kim was really nice; It's amazing how much he gets out of a fairly simple moveset. This video does a great job at showing how much the addition of EX moves added to the KoF cast; It's like getting a mix of the various properties / variations they've had for their moves over the years, plus fresh, new ideas.

I wonder if Kim has any crazy links into his Far D?

Edit: Yeah, forgot to mention the  ;fd  ;fd  ;a (Why is it A? why not a kick button?). It's a great thing to see Kim take such advantage of air-to-air counter hits + juggling blows with. It's a unique addition, and I think it's great that it opens up his air versatility and use so much.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:16:23 AM by SAB-CA »

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #1564 on: June 28, 2011, 08:02:57 AM »
Not just EX moves but his f,f+A really made a difference too.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: June 28, 2011, 10:50:49 AM »
Edit: Yeah, forgot to mention the  ;fd  ;fd  ;a (Why is it A? why not a kick button?).

Wasn't the same way in 2002UM? IIRC it was the same, but I might be wrong.

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: June 28, 2011, 11:28:11 AM »
Edit: Yeah, forgot to mention the  ;fd  ;fd  ;a (Why is it A? why not a kick button?).

Wasn't the same way in 2002UM? IIRC it was the same, but I might be wrong.
He didn't have the move in 2002UM. To my knowledge, the first appearance of a similar move was in XI, with his f+A,A (during dash). The reason it's a punch is because Kim's so Korean his punches are kicks. :P

But seriously, it's probably because his Neri Chagi (f+B) has seniority, so it couldn't be changed. SNK seems to avoid using C and D as command normals, perhaps to avoid overlap with throws? Anyway, A was the only button left.

Off-topic perhaps, but that sort of thing bothers me too. Kim's NeoMax, for example, is a flurry of kicks. Yet it's input with A+C. Lots of characters have NeoMax inputs like this, in order to avoid overlap with their other moves. I think they should have made all NeoMax inputs be C+D to avoid even MORE overlap and make them all easier to remember.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: June 28, 2011, 02:26:49 PM »
This video does a great job at showing how much the addition of EX moves added to the KoF cast; It's like getting a mix of the various properties / variations they've had for their moves over the years, plus fresh, new ideas.

Systems come and go in KOF but I seriously hope that SNK keeps EX moves and Drive Canceling permanently in the series from now on.

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: June 28, 2011, 04:10:28 PM »
Systems come and go in KOF but I seriously hope that SNK keeps EX moves and Drive Canceling permanently in the series from now on.
I share that feeling that KOF XIII has a great gameplay mechanic. I have no complex in to affirm that is the best gameplay mechanic in KOF ever (it's my opinion, I know some will argue that KOF2002UM or XI gameplays are better). And EX moves and DC system are the pillars of that gameplay, so yes, I would like they keep them in future KOFs. But every KOF is a new and different story in terms of gameplay, so I'm not sure if we can expect that.
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: June 28, 2011, 05:39:51 PM »
This video does a great job at showing how much the addition of EX moves added to the KoF cast; It's like getting a mix of the various properties / variations they've had for their moves over the years, plus fresh, new ideas.

EX moves and DC canceling is something ive been wanting in kof since before kof 96 got released. i knew back then it was the future for kof, too bad snk/p only realized it just now. i doubt theyd be stupid enough to change EX moves or DC cancelling in the future. its what kof should have been YEARS ago.

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #1570 on: June 28, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »

EX moves and DC canceling is something ive been wanting in kof since before kof 96 got released. i knew back then it was the future for kof, too bad snk/p only realized it just now. i doubt theyd be stupid enough to change EX moves or DC cancelling in the future. its what kof should have been YEARS ago.

But back then, there was also the issue of hardware restrictions. I remember their blog translation about wanting to add Joe's NeoMax, for example, for the longest time but couldn't do it because of said restrictions.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #1571 on: June 28, 2011, 06:07:10 PM »
The reason it's a punch is because Kim's so Korean his punches are kicks. :P

But seriously, it's probably because his Neri Chagi (f+B) has seniority, so it couldn't be changed. SNK seems to avoid using C and D as command normals, perhaps to avoid overlap with throws? Anyway, A was the only button left.

Aye. I think the flying kick was done with f,f D in XII though, so I was kinda supised they changed it. (Standing CD, Flying kick, DM worked nicely). I can appreciate the lack of confusion with Neri Chagi command; for that, it's completly understandable. I like my command normals on weak attacks, too. It suprises me they gave Iori a new com.norm on a strong attack button for that reason (though it's cool they gave him one!)

Off-topic perhaps, but that sort of thing bothers me too. Kim's NeoMax, for example, is a flurry of kicks. Yet it's input with A+C. Lots of characters have NeoMax inputs like this, in order to avoid overlap with their other moves. I think they should have made all NeoMax inputs be C+D to avoid even MORE overlap and make them all easier to remember.

I appreciate the fact that they tried to keep the neomax motions similiar to that of their greatest / most familiar DMs. Universal C+D woulda been nice too, given that the system exist alongside EX moves.

I share that feeling that KOF XIII has a great gameplay mechanic. I have no complex in to affirm that is the best gameplay mechanic in KOF ever (it's my opinion, I know some will argue that KOF2002UM or XI gameplays are better).

I agree, I'd love to see these systems stick around. I feel more like this implementation of Drive and EX's is closer to a series staple (like being able to combo into throws, having command normals combo with normals), than things like tagging, "Extra / Advanced", or 2001's ratio systems.

Mostly because it fits every character so well, now. I was really annoyed with how poorly BC mode seemed to work for some of the cast in 2k2UM. You'd see Nameless and Kyo exploit it to no end, but then you'l look at Blue Mary or Xiangfei, and wonder how you'd ever get that much worth out of it.

But in XIII, cancel-loops seem to have been prioritized when thinking about the character special / EX creation. They gave pretty much everyone a move that causes the float or carry needed to strong together awesome combos. Even people with smaller movesets like King or Mai don't come away empty handed, and grapplers like Clark or Goro even get some play out of it.

Add that on top of the return of super-canceling out of projectiles, and EX moves, and you have a great marriage of ideas that just WORK.

Quote from: Aenthin
But back then, there was also the issue of hardware restrictions. I remember their blog translation about wanting to add Joe's NeoMax, for example, for the longest time but couldn't do it because of said restrictions.

I really like the fact that they got to add so much stuff they've been dreaming of, they mentioned something similiar about Terry's Trinity Geyser.

We heard so much about people leaving the company, but I wonder how many long-time employees are still with them, hoping to try out new ideas with old favorite characters and stuff? These are the kinda guys our hopes for console extras and stuff rest with, and the kinda people who make sure new content is consistent with the games style.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #1572 on: June 28, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
And man, do I wish more people used Ryo's EX Zanretsuken!

i also find that a good move, but its not really fast or safe. great for combos though.

It appears DDTC was listening to us! :)

DDTC Presents: Ryo Sakazaki Zanretsuken Tutorial

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: June 28, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »
We heard so much about people leaving the company, but I wonder how many long-time employees are still with them, hoping to try out new ideas with old favorite characters and stuff? These are the kinda guys our hopes for console extras and stuff rest with, and the kinda people who make sure new content is consistent with the games style.

Well, according to The Professor from MMCafe:

Sibarraz: As far as I understand, SNK still has a team for KOF development.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: June 28, 2011, 09:06:20 PM »
yeah i was actually using them in my practice combos a lot, more than any of his other EX specials. it can even combo into his NM without going into hd mode. if only the game ran at a normal speed, man the console version needs to come out fucking soon.

notice how he uses 95 themes a lot, that that good shit.