Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Video Thread  (Read 1027460 times)

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Video Thread
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2010, 02:25:52 PM »
Thanks for the play and vids guys, really appreciated.

Holy shit at that Raiden combo. That had to be one of the, if not the, fastest and easiest looking 97% damage combos I have ever seen. That drop kick is going to give a lot of ppl nightmares.

And I love watching Mr. Kof rebound of the wall into that combo with Robert, the whole thing meshes so well that I feel like I'm watching an action scene from an anime.

Looks like if you space your pokes right then you can go into a demon flip and crossup with the dive kick into a combo, showcased really well by Reynald.

Any more vids gonna be posted or is that it, Kane? Gotta see that Chin of yours. I was also hoping to see some Kensou action courtesy of the Answer.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:29:57 PM by Diavle »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2010, 02:38:54 PM »
Thanks for the play and vids guys, really appreciated.

Holy shit at that Raiden combo. That had to be one of the, if not the, fastest and easiest looking 97% damage combos I have ever seen. That drop kick is going to give a lot of ppl nightmares.

And I love watching Mr. Kof rebound of the wall into that combo with Robert, the whole thing meshes so well that I feel like I'm watching an action scene from an anime.

Looks like if you space your pokes right then you can go into a demon flip and crossup with the dive kick into a combo, showcased really well by Reynald.

Any more vids gonna be posted or is that it, Kane? Gotta see that Chin of yours. I was also hoping to see some Kensou action courtesy of the Answer.

In due time, there's at least 6 more matches for the top 8, and if he posts the whole tourney there's a lot more.  There's also at least 5-6 matches he hasn't uploaded that were from the original casual batch.  He's a busy man and unfortunately he has the HD at his house to upload... =(

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2010, 03:31:20 PM »
In due time, there's at least 6 more matches for the top 8, and if he posts the whole tourney there's a lot more.  There's also at least 5-6 matches he hasn't uploaded that were from the original casual batch.  He's a busy man and unfortunately he has the HD at his house to upload... =(

Awesome, can't wait.

Being the only one to upload direct feed HD vids the man can take all the time he needs lol.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:07:54 PM by Diavle »

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
That drop kick is going to give a lot of ppl nightmares.

Tell me about it =( (you will see why in the vids soon)
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Shiranui_ninja

« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2010, 04:55:31 PM »
Oh my...
this combo should cost some meter bar... no Ex, neither Drive Cancel is needed to do it... and take a lot of damage...

¿How soon will we see it? Hungry for more vids! :D

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2010, 06:39:08 PM »
he ends the move with the nm, 3 bars and full hd meter gone. all in all from the vids ive seen, the level of you guys playing tourney level is pretty damn good. not jpn or china level good, but still awesome. mr kof did well imo.

1 thing that i didnt really see was people not taking all the chances they had. for instance theres a couple times where the opponent is his in hit the air or after a combo where you could juggle on, but this never hapened (something the jpn players really capitalized hard on). and some rounds could have been finished quicker by just sacrificing 1 drive bar to take maybe 30%+ extra damage off your opponent health. which def would have been worth it imo for sacrifcing 1 drive bar for.

and 1 last thing, in the andy vs andy round. im curious, doesnt andy's nm go through fireballs? reynald might have had a few chances to really punish mr kof with that nm in their final battle of andy vs andy. maybe he though the damage wouldnt be worth it? also shame on those hd combos not connecting (allwith andy?).

good match, awaiting next batch.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Chlorophylle

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2010, 07:10:50 PM »
Game41 matches :
http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm11888330

( i can't find their youtube channel, don't know why, i'm sure they have one )

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:08:57 PM by Kane317 »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2010, 10:08:46 PM »
Game41 matches :
http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm11888330

( i can't find their youtube channel, don't know why, i'm sure they have one )

NICE gameplay.  Loved seeing a good Ash player finally!

JTSNOW6

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2010, 10:19:48 PM »
DAMN IT FEELS GOOD TO BE A KoF XIII FAN!!!!!!  The flurry of vids (AI Tourney vids FTW!!!!) and the latest blog entry was OFF THE CHAIN!!!!!!  Time to watch this latest one...  THANKS, EVERYONE!!!!!!

the_judge

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2010, 10:22:57 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AYqSKREd7m8?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AYqSKREd7m8?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

So I've been trying to do some deep analyzing of these matches lately, so I'll drop on the table what I've noticed tactics wise. Rather than the combo mumbo jumbo you've been reading.

0:25 - 1:50
Mr.KOF seems to playing some Street Fighter-esque fireball/anti-air zoning. This is probably one of the more effective options he could have went with against Kyo, who has well established himself as one of the strongest chars in the game while taking the offensive. Kyo can play a similar zoning game considering he has ranged normals (far.B, far.D), 2 great anti-air options (dp+P, cr.C), and some very fast ambiguous aerials. Robert is very full char, but it would be difficult dealing with the bulk of Kyo's options if Pepe utilizes all of them. Now, the superiority of the strategy isn't very large anymore. Since special attacks no longer build meter unless they make contact with the enemy char, it's not so beneficial to play such a way except for the space it gives you. The only real time I recommend going with such a playstyle unless it is the beginning of the match, or your enemy is heavily understocked on meter.

1:55 - 3:45
Raiden is officially a stupid char. He can easily even out a matchup by merely fishing for a drop kick (Krauser much?). Raiden will literally force you play a poking game, or a poking char. Which is why they are correct saying Duolon can be an essential counterpick. But you are almost not permitted to rushdown with hops. Either runback and spam fireballs if you possess them, or play a poking game while only attempting crossups. I am not aware of how his ground normals fair out in the spacing game, but you need to consider not eating a random spit, or EX grabs.

4:55 - 5:20
Now this time Pepe takes the helms and takes advantage of Kyo's very strong offense. He chooses not sit back and eat the inevitable fireball spam (where Kyo's fireball does not compare as well). Pepe displayed a good understanding of how to break his zoning with rush. Now at 5:10 Mr.KOF makes a mistake. He blocks Kyo's df+D from a range, and punishes with a sweep. Where he makes a mistake is by attempting to throw fireballs with his back to the corner. Problem with this is that it is inevitable that Kyo would move forward quickly and finish him off. At this time Robert could have moved forward to establish some form of momentum and get him out of the corner. Considering Kyo is also sitting on 2 bars does not make the situation any lighter. But Mr.KOF could have moved forward giving him more space to toy with, possibly bait something and counter with a BnB. Which would properly set him up to zone with fireballs more. Even if he were to lose Robert at that point, he could have taken a lot of life off of Kyo for his next char.

5:34 - 7:40
Mr.KOF now has Raiden in again. Notice how Mr.KOF is constantly backdashing, and seems to be running away. This only compliments that he can literally win a match with dropkicks. By running away in such a way he can set up his dropkick easily if Kyo either gets too happy trying to hop forward, or throws a fireball, which you will see Mr.KOF punish. Also notice he is throwing aerials on some of his jumps. This is moreso a tool to slow you down if you try to move forward towards him while he's jumping (which I highly recommend against Raiden). Pepe gets some good damage on Raiden with Kyo only to lose Kyo. Next comes Duolon. Duolon has very strong pokes and can deal with a lot of Raiden's runaway tactics, but considering a bulk of Duolon's pressure comes with being in close range, Mr.KOF attempts an EX grab DM. And considering the enhanced range, this is a very strong tactic against Duolon. Mr.KOF eventually loses Raiden to Pepe's Elizabeth. Not much can be said there.

7:50 - 8:58
Mr.KOF's prized Andy is now in the game. Andy can be defined in this game as pure solid. Mr.KOF jumps with Andy using j.CD a lot. This move is very reminiscent of Chris' j.CD though with weaker arc, and not so much frame advantage, nonetheless, a very strong universal aerial. Andy's sweep is among one of the best in the game. Has a very large hitbox which allows it to be used in ground spacing, and even as an anti-air which you will see. I notice Pepe not using really any of Elizabeth's ground normals. In the end I highly doubt they could compare to Andy's cr.B and cr.D. So Pepe is almost completely relying on Liz's j.D, which is one of her only fast moves with the range to compete with Andy. But on the ground, Mr.KOF with Andy show clear dominance, to the point where Andy's j.CD would either beat or clash with Liz's anti-airs. Considering a clash with Andy's j.CD would result in Pepe being knocked down, he could not follow up with a DM. Which isn't complimented with the fact that Pepe holds very little meter in this match being he is not landing special attacks, and very few aerials. Mr.KOF beats Pepe after Pepe tries to jump out of the corner. Andy is a very full char, and probably one of the strongest Anchors in the game. One would need to strictly outplay a strong Andy player to win in such a position.

I made your video playable. -nilcam
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:32:00 PM by nilcam »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2010, 11:16:36 PM »
Nice write up.

I want to add that Pepe is an American stick player, and he's told me numerous times he has great difficulty pulling off DP (of all things) on the Japanese controllers (he even showed me in training mode lol).  So he's missing out on a great deal of punishing options, I've seen him play in the older kofs with his stick and he's much more proficient, having said all this, he didn't do too bad (I would refuse to play on anything other than my comfortable stick, the Japanese one so kudos to him).

Raiden is officially a stupid char. He can easily even out a matchup by merely fishing for a drop kick (Krauser much?)...Either runback and spam fireballs if you possess them, or play a poking game while only attempting crossups.

Raiden's level 4 (and even 3 maybe) dropkick goes thru fireballs, so you can't spam them against him.  So far the counter strategies we've come up with are as follow:  Watch the clock, give or take 12-16 seconds is when you have to really change your offense, in the meantime rush him down.  Remember he cannot tech roll or AB roll so throwing him a lot helps a great deal.  Also, unblockable moves such as Shen's fully charged qcf+C, spaced correctly in the corner is a nightmare of Raiden since he can't roll and it's hard for the big guy to jump over.  The rest is trying to bait the drop kick.  If you have a character that can SC fireballs, trying throwing one and SCing it (empty cancel) into a super, I dunno what's going to happen but if anything you'll both miss and danger has been adverted (I'll sacrifice a stock to rid him of his dropkicks).  Lastly, keep your distance which is harder said than done.  Goro seems to shut him down pretty good so far due to him command grabs and normals (he also doesn't have many punishable moves).

EDIT:
1:25:  I just realized what Pepe was trying to do, he was trying to counter Robert in case he did a HSKK (flyng kick) after his projectile which he often does.  Good attempt.

On an ending note, I can see why you're doing what you're doing, however I don't know if it's a little pre-mature; I'll explain.  If there is a re-occuring strategy being used over several weeks of gameplay, I can see how analyzing the weakness/mistake is useful to improve one's game.  However, if this is just sheer, tourney nerves, or a bad day, then it's easy to chalk up mistakes since hindsight is always 20/20.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:25:35 PM by Kane317 »

the_judge

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2010, 12:31:33 AM »
Raiden's level 4 (and even 3 maybe) dropkick goes thru fireballs, so you can't spam them against him.  So far the counter strategies we've come up with are as follow:  Watch the clock, give or take 12-16 seconds is when you have to really change your offense, in the meantime rush him down.  Remember he cannot tech roll or AB roll so throwing him a lot helps a great deal.  Also, unblockable moves such as Shen's fully charged qcf+C, spaced correctly in the corner is a nightmare of Raiden since he can't roll and it's hard for the big guy to jump over.  The rest is trying to bait the drop kick.  If you have a character that can SC fireballs, trying throwing one and SCing it (empty cancel) into a super, I dunno what's going to happen but if anything you'll both miss and danger has been adverted (I'll sacrifice a stock to rid him of his dropkicks).  Lastly, keep your distance which is harder said than done.  Goro seems to shut him down pretty good so far due to him command grabs and normals (he also doesn't have many punishable moves).

EDIT:
1:25:  I just realized what Pepe was trying to do, he was trying to counter Robert in case he did a HSKK (flyng kick) after his projectile which he often does.  Good attempt.

Well assuming you aren't spamming FB's at the punishable range (which you shouldn't). But at the same time I'm not too knowledgeable about that move. I saw it before, but didn't think it was that powerful. I'm still bamboozled by it. I just hate getting hit with gimmicks, so I'm trying to come up with some kind of answer to it. Will edit my post shortly.

On an ending note, I can see why you're doing what you're doing, however I don't know if it's a little pre-mature; I'll explain.  If there is a re-occuring strategy being used over several weeks of gameplay, I can see how analyzing the weakness/mistake is useful to improve one's game.  However, if this is just sheer, tourney nerves, or a bad day, then it's easy to chalk up mistakes since hindsight is always 20/20.

I do not believe this is pre-mature in any fashion. This is another KOF, unlike XI or XII, which took a fairly large departure from the engine first introduced in 98, it's not difficult to understand considering the mechanics in the game. The bulk of which were already in 2k2.
In this newer age of fg's, I see a lot of knowledge/opinions shared, collected, and archived in other forums. I don't think free speculation on a game not available to everyone is an excuse not to share thoughts. I don't expect everyone to understand me at this moment, but when we look back, we'll have some nice info to bathe in once it reaches consoles and is available to a larger public.
On the mistakes thing, I just don't see Mr.KOF do those things in other KOF's, found that I had to point that out.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2010, 04:09:05 AM »
I guess what I'm trying to say is, that it's hard to tell whether or not we're/he is just making a mistake that he doesn't normally do, or rather his gameplay as a whole needs working on.  What I'm saying is that, overall, everyone played poorly so just trying to dissect all the mistakes is kinda like ("urm, we know.  We mess that one up.")

Either way, as long as you know we're not idiots, I think this is a useful discussion. =)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:05:25 AM by Kane317 »

the_judge

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2010, 06:23:26 AM »
Well, I'll say that this is also my first attempt and doing anything like this.
Considering Mr.KOF won the tourney, there has to be some form of underlying strategies that worked for him. And a few that lost him a char. I'm noting the ones that I've noticed. Also have to consider the guy trying to learn this game and doesn't understand why these guys sometimes look like they're hopping back and forth. Cause under a veil of stereotypes, KOF looks like a bunch of players rushing down with hyperhops.

Everyone makes mistakes obviously. But how nice would it be to have a mistake or bad decision on notice since it was mentioned and even lost a good player like Mr.KOF a char.
Maybe in some kind of rare occurrence, I pointed out something Mr.KOF didn't notice, and he remembers that to only make his game that much stronger.

In the end, it helps others to a degree. And if it makes anyone look like an idiot, it's me. (lol, phat rhymes)
Cause I still haven't played, so I sound like a Theory Fighter f@!#^&.

EDIT: I'm gonna have trouble doing stuff like this with a large cast of chars. Chars like K' almost seem like they're just constantly fishing for stuff, and I even see it in higher level matches (kind of referencing 2k2um K'). So bear with me if I say something downright stupid, or I don't quite understand what the char wants. Just correct me then. Cause no lie, K' to me looks very random at times. To the point where I think he's a stupid char.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:01:34 PM by nilcam »

Phoenixazure

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2010, 07:24:29 AM »
just dropping by and giving u a thumbs up on your efforts. If its consistent enough, it can almost be like a weekly/bi weekly feature that can be on the main site and then featured on other websites to gain hits... Still, its a solid read. Keep it up