Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Video Thread  (Read 1027321 times)

Moebius

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
    • Mobrule deviantart
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Video Thread
« Reply #2175 on: October 19, 2011, 11:24:49 PM »
From Rex:
"I want tagging to look similar to plane-shifting from Fatal Fury, or how classic KOFs had your teammates coming in to save you when stunned."

^Like the tag system in Kizuna encounter?

Some of the Frionnel matches were really fast and aggressive, that's what I love to see in Kof matches.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #2176 on: October 19, 2011, 11:34:32 PM »
Hey, I thought KOF XI was pretty great. I definitely agree on its graphical "flat"-ness, though. But that doesn't mean you couldn't make a KOF game with excellent movement, sound, pacing AND tagging.

I'd also love to see tag return at some point. If it did, I'd prefer to have your teammates standing in the background (a la KOF94-98) rather than simply off-screen. Graphically, I want tagging to look similar to plane-shifting from Fatal Fury, or how classic KOFs had your teammates coming in to save you when stunned. I think this could keep the characters "weighted" and prevent them from looking as "flat" as in XI. (At least, if I understood what you meant by flat.)

Oh, I don't mind them jumping in from off screen that much (though I'd prefer seeing the teammates, just dunno how it'd work)... things in XI were made with the ideas that impacts had to be swift, and easily-shiftable by multiple characters in mind. This brought on soooo many changes, not just to hitstun, but also the amount of time given for moves to linger, the length of sound effects, the flow of combat... what made XI's tag work, were a bunch of features that are cool by themselves (I really liked them in NGBC!) but they're not very KoF. Or should we say, they're not the best of SNK(P).

Pretty much everything that helped in the OP characts of that game, were due to the tag system DEMANDING changes for things like saving shifts and tag combos to work.

Also, I don't think including tagging as an optional feature is a good idea. It would be much more likely to be buggy and unbalanced. Besides, it's much easier to turn a tagging game into a 3v3 format, rather than take a 3v3 game and tack-on tagging. /OT

So, you worry that including Tag... would make it work like XI did anyway, eh? ;) I agree that it's easier to add 3 on 3 to Tag already, but I don't really care, lol. It's not exactly anywho; all the weaker aspects of XI's systems come right into 3 on 3 mode. I'd actually desire to see both done right, really. If they could get it all right, I actually think it'd be a great bonus. Weld be kinda like DoA2, where the tag modes and 1 on 1 fighting both felt like completly acceptable modes to play with everyone.

I'd still like a character that brings a "tag" aspect with them, that doesn't break the game, though. Like the TFADL / TFTP people all working together as 1 or 2 spots on a 3 man team. While it could turn out disasterous (like that guy from Sam-Sho V with the henchmen), it could also turn out very cool and enjoyable (like Doronjo from Tatsu VS Capcom), and that's what I'd be hoping for.

I love this series. Haregoro proves again that Joe is a killing machine. Leona shows off a Takuma-specific 100%. Ralf's HD corner juggle was also really good. I hardly see Ralf use HD, but it seemed really practical. Just qcb+A / AC and qcf+P (A? C?) a lot.

It's the kidna thing I always expect to scare new players away (How long did that combo take? WHY DO I WANT TO PLAY THIS?!?!), but they normally seem to be well understood. I really enjoyed all the "using specials as a form of movement" stuff, it seems like one of the good holdovers from XI (things never recovered this fast in the past!) that I can actually deal with in XIII!

Quote from: Moebius
Some of the Frionnel matches were really fast and aggressive, that's what I love to see in Kof matches.
I know, it makes the game look totally different than watching people who don't know KoF as well play. It's quite enjoyable, and I think it really shows "KoF-ISM" at it's best. There's an agression, mixed with ability to excape (by spending meter) that no other game balances as well.

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: October 20, 2011, 01:24:14 AM »
So, you worry that including Tag... would make it work like XI did anyway, eh? ;)
Ha ha. Well, of course, there's buggy/unbalanced and then there's unplayable. What I meant was that I'd like to see any big system-wide changes thoroughly vetted by months of arcade loke tests before actually getting released. If it's just thrown in as an extra (or based on 2003 :p) it will inevitably be broken.

I agree that the DOA series did it well. I remember so many of my non-gaming friends had a blast doing 4-player tag battles. I can't believe there's not more interest in co-op fighting games like that. Playing a 6-person game of KOF sounds so much fun to me. Maybe I'm the only person who really wants this?

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: October 20, 2011, 10:06:58 AM »
So, you worry that including Tag... would make it work like XI did anyway, eh? ;)
Ha ha. Well, of course, there's buggy/unbalanced and then there's unplayable. What I meant was that I'd like to see any big system-wide changes thoroughly vetted by months of arcade loke tests before actually getting released. If it's just thrown in as an extra (or based on 2003 :p) it will inevitably be broken.

I agree that the DOA series did it well. I remember so many of my non-gaming friends had a blast doing 4-player tag battles. I can't believe there's not more interest in co-op fighting games like that. Playing a 6-person game of KOF sounds so much fun to me. Maybe I'm the only person who really wants this?

You aren't Rex; I've wanted that since 96. And I'm 100% with you on wanting a thuroughly-evaluated and perfected Tag instead of just a thrown-in Tag feature. I wonder if with that mode it's best to enhance or competely change certain characters to get the most out of it.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Para Para Pony

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: October 20, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »
me dos! it was REALLY requested for xiii, but i guess they had to focus on the basics first. everyone i told the mode might be in was really psyched to have it. maybe xiv...

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: October 20, 2011, 01:18:10 PM »
KOFXIII既存キャラ調整2

looks like they changed liz's usual shenanigans a bit

Alucard DX

• Rising Dragon
  • Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: October 20, 2011, 02:04:06 PM »
Nice changes by SNK,Goro changes are godlike. :)

With so many changes the game is looking even better.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: October 20, 2011, 06:02:05 PM »
wow with all the changes this is basically a new game. goro and clark are beasts now, fuck8ng awesome. im fuck8ng loving the changes on goro.

lol if this was capcom the would have done these amount of changes in 5 times, make you pay 7 times and ask money for alt outfits. fucking greedy ass bitch ass fuckers.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:09:27 PM by MUSOLINI »
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: October 20, 2011, 06:22:37 PM »
wow with all the changes this is basically a new game. goro and clark are beasts now, fuck8ng awesome. im fuck8ng loving the changes on goro.

lol if this was capcom the would have done these amount of changes in 5 times, make you pay 7 times and ask money for alt outfits. fucking greedy ass bitch ass fuckers.

Those cum guzzling ass fuckers fooled me into paying just to have Ken get fire on his fierce shoryuken as the only change to my main chr back in the day when Super Turbo I think it was came out. I was/am livid.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:45:27 PM by BioBooster »

bzerk

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: October 22, 2011, 01:49:43 AM »
Why is the video  private?

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #2185 on: October 22, 2011, 02:15:30 AM »
Why is the video  private?

The old video was made private for... some reason. They re-uploaded it soon after.
Here's the new upload. (Everything seems to be the same, so not sure what happened):

KOFXIII既存キャラ調整2

Gravelneed

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 03:49:12 PM by Gravelneed »

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: October 22, 2011, 04:41:59 PM »
Glad to see someone noticed that Mai isn't an extra console version character, even he don't know she can jump off the walls.
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

darkTown2

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: October 22, 2011, 06:31:26 PM »
it was nice to see some gameplay of the lesser used characters in those matches; i've yet to see many ash players.
psn: darkTown2
kof 13: kyo,iori,k'

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #2189 on: October 22, 2011, 09:58:24 PM »
Hello, darkTown2! Make sure to introduce yourself in the Meet & Greet Section![/quote]

it was nice to see some gameplay of the lesser used characters in those matches; i've yet to see many ash players.

It is, I enjoyed watching that Athena myself. Whenever Ash shows up, he seems to have a pretty solid showing, though!