Author Topic: Would it be possible to fit the KOF13 software into a Neo Geo cab?  (Read 4614 times)

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
I have an opportunity to buy a Neo Geo cabinet and if I do buy it, I may gut it and build a supergun just to save space. However, I don't know if I would want to get rid of the cab and was thinking if it's possible to fit the KOF13 software into the cab itself? Now, I have no idea what the software and hardware(minus cab) for 13 looks like so this is just an idea.

Would this be possible? Do they even sell the 13 unit by itself along with the software or does it need to be in a specific cab? If they do sell it minus the cab, how much is it?

Giby

• Strongest Tiger
  • Man Chest
    • View Profile
    • snk-capcom dot com
Re: Would it be possible to fit the KOF13 software into a Neo Geo cab?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 03:36:08 AM »
You would have to have a Taito Type X2 board (hardware) and the XIII HD + USB key (software). You will be able to fit it into some Neo cabs, but you might have to do a bit of modifications to it. The board is about the size of a PC (it is a pc), and there's a very good chance it won't fit inside of a big red. Let me know which cab you're using.

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:54:15 PM »
It would be a SNK MVS 4 slot candy cab. How much is the board and software alone? I'd imagine somehwere in the $3000 range for both.

Giby

• Strongest Tiger
  • Man Chest
    • View Profile
    • snk-capcom dot com
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 01:36:04 AM »
There are several different Neo Candy Cabs, it should say on the side which cab it is. There's a good chance the board will fit in most of the larger Neo cabs (29+), but some might require a bit of modification to get them in. You can also pop open the back to slide in boards that don't fit through the main door.

The XIII kit usually goes for $2000-$3000 used. If you really want to get one, I would suggest trying to find one with the latest software update. If you decide to get a new kit it could run you $4000, and there's no guarantee it will be an updated board (most new boards out there have the original buggy version of the game).

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:28:40 PM »
On a bit of an update, I was at a recent meet of players near Philly/NJ to play Garou with the guys there and one of the players told me it would be better to acquire an Atomiswave candy cab because of the monitors 14hz refresh rate and he also informed me that the board should fit in perfectly fine with just some minor mods or none at all. . So imma be on the look out for one of those.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:56:34 PM »
I strongly recommend swapping the CRT monitor for an LCD monitor in the cab you get, the CRT monitors don't do any justice to the game. The cab I have the game in is pretty much a Jamma cabinet with a monitor swap which should be about the same as a neo candy wiring wise so it should be fairly easy to hook up the board.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Giby

• Strongest Tiger
  • Man Chest
    • View Profile
    • snk-capcom dot com
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 04:54:33 AM »
Take The Answers advice. Playing it on a CRT is fine, but if you want to fully enjoy the game, get a good HD panel and be sure to do some research to find out if they have any lag/delay when gaming.

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 06:23:44 AM »
oh trust me, I have played the game in all it's glorious HD. It would be a sin to not play it on an HD display.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »
Hey Cibernetico you gotta jump on this if you want to have a KOF setup this will be perfect for you, and the price it's amazing.

http://shoryuken.com/f226/wts-brand-new-arcade-32-lcd-sit-down-cabinet-272161/
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 11:12:50 PM »
Hey Cibernetico you gotta jump on this if you want to have a KOF setup this will be perfect for you, and the price it's amazing.

http://shoryuken.com/f226/wts-brand-new-arcade-32-lcd-sit-down-cabinet-272161/

Answer, how easily would it be to get the actual arcade games and hook them up to this? And would it be possible to access Nesica stuff via some type of ethernet connection?

Giby

• Strongest Tiger
  • Man Chest
    • View Profile
    • snk-capcom dot com
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 11:17:12 PM »
Nesica can only be accessed in Japan at the moment. Getting a hold of the game itself isn't too hard, you just have to find a copy of 1.1, and buy it with the hardware.