Poll

Which would you rather have Capcom do?

More Versus Titles
1 (12.5%)
More Revived Franchises/New IPs
7 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Capcom - To Versus or not to Versus  (Read 9885 times)

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
Re: Capcom - To Versus or not to Versus
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 04:03:06 AM »
If there was a new crossover between SNK and Capcom, I want it to be Garou vs. Street Fighter. Ken vs. Terry, Ryu vs. Andy, Mai vs. Chun Li, Lee brothers vs. Kim brothers, Hugo vs. Griffon... It's just so hard for me to ignore.

But yeah. They have to be balanced. B|

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 04:22:08 AM »
My vote would be for Capcom to stop making fighting games. They've been in decline since Street Fighter Alpha 2. SFIV is awful and MvC3 is possibly worse.

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 05:20:07 AM »
What about SF III ? (and with that i mean 3S). It's not my cup of tea, but is regarded as the best fighting game EVUR by a lot of people.

SFA2 was released in 1996, and Capcom made made some good fighting games since.
By the way i'm not saying all of their FG since 96~97 were good.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:22:57 AM by Delta »

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 06:11:41 AM »
What about SF III ? (and with that i mean 3S). It's not my cup of tea, but is regarded as the best fighting game EVUR by a lot of people.

The SFIII series (especially 3S) was Capcom's fighting high point for me too. Progression in several points. Alpha/Zero 2 was just as much a Gem as these. But I do agree, some presentation aestetics aside, if things like MVC3 and S/SFIV/AE are the best Capcom can give us, they're kind of done for me.

Sad thing is, as good as Capcom could potentially be, I'm always hyped when any other company handles Capcom characters. NamcoXCapcom, SVC:C, and I can wait to see TvSF; external interpretations and choices of characters always seem to show potential.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Nagare_Ryouma

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 07:22:11 AM »
I don´t think Capcom is what it used to be, at least in terms of fighting games.
Not so long ago, they would still develop their classic 2D fighters, even in the next gen era, they were still on business.
Street Fighter Zero, the Marvel and then Marvel vs games, JoJo, etc.
They were a company producing bit hits with newer technology like Bio Hazard and many other games, but still keep their fighting divission games classic and pure.
Somewhere along the way, they decided to stop doing quality stuff and just go for the pure mainstream bullshit.
I would actually like for SNK and Capcom to have, once again, that classic battle for the reign of the fighting genre.
Capcom might get all the money, but, at least to me, they don´t have the prestige anymore.
So to me, Versus games,  new/old franchise games, are the same now. Capcom games are all shit to me now.
I didn´t like Marvel Vs Capcom 2, I wasn´t a fan of 100% of their games, but I have been a Capcom supporter for a long time, not anymore.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 03:06:09 PM »

I don't like SFIII. While there are some pretty good characters, the gameplay always felt really slow to me. When you look at the SF series, it strived for speed and aggression. The speed part dies out after the Alpha series and A2 felt better to me than A3.

Garou is like the better version of the SFIII series.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 05:12:10 PM »
I would just want Capcom to do what I want all developers to do: make good games.  Whether they're new IP or crossovers doesn't matter as much to me.  However, seeing as the only times they've really tried anything different from the old formula is when they had new IP (like Darkstalkers, JJBA, X-Men:COTA), I guess I would lean towards new IP just for the sake of having a game that isn't a completely defensive turtle-fest.  Plus, their history of crossovers doesn't exactly beam of effort, aside from MvC3 having so much evidence of being deliberately stupid.
Old man/bad player

Nagare_Ryouma

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »

I don't like SFIII. While there are some pretty good characters, the gameplay always felt really slow to me. When you look at the SF series, it strived for speed and aggression. The speed part dies out after the Alpha series and A2 felt better to me than A3.

Street Fighter Zero 2 is clearly the best of the series.
Zero 3 had a lot of nice things in the art department (new characters, new animations, Dan's new fighting pose, etc) but the gameplay suffered.
They added a guard gauge, wich is great, but the throw was performed with one or two buttons. EPIC FAIL. THIS IS WRONG.
Plus, they asked you to select if you wanted to do the supers, the custom, counters, etc; while on Zero 2 you had everything from the getgo!!! Ridiculous.
Zero 3 also had a couple of broken stuff, Zero 2, while not perfect, was more balanced.
Many people want the Vampire Saviour series to return. Those people should keep in mind that if the series return, it will have the same treatment as SF4....no thanks.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 03:16:34 AM »
For some reason, it pisses me off that the Darkstalkers series gets good representation in MvC3 (3 characters), but they're all women. Makes me think they just did it for fanservice and not because they actually care about that series.

jedpossum

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 04:42:05 AM »
Well there is a few types of Vampire fans.

1. Those who know the games and can play them at decent level.

2. People that can draw and know about animation.

3. Random scrubs that don't know nothing about the series that think it would be sf4 with cooler characters. This can also apply to this group. People that don't like the magic series chains even though this series has it.

In Marvel 2 there was a lot of Darkstalkers characters only 3 were really competitive, 2 were decent, and the other was a joke.

Darkstalkers in order of effectiveness in mvc2
Anak
Ruby Heart
BB Hood
Morrigan
Amingo
Felicia
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:45:35 AM by jedpossum »

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 05:08:22 AM »
Ruby Heart is not a Darkstalkers character. x:
I don't think Amingo was either.

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 05:35:29 AM »
He wasn't , he and Ruby Heart were 2 original characters made for MvC2. A shame that's their only fighting game appareance  :(.

jedpossum

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 07:16:41 AM »
There was a Darkstalkers 4 slated to be released around 2000 for the cps3 ,but got pushed back due to Capcom adopting the Naomi as their main hardware instead of the cps3. After the hardware change the teams became separated to do ports or the versus series so the original Darkstalkers 4 died out due to them not getting success out of their fighting games anymore.

And guess which characters are there for cross promotion like Anita was going to be for MSH.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:28:46 AM by jedpossum »

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »

3S (or the whole SF3 series) is slow due to the parry system. If it were any faster, it would be like trying to parry in CvS2, which is horrible. Strangely enough, its easier to Just Defend in K groove though...

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 07:32:17 PM »
fuck crossing over, id rather have a new RB3 and a new HD 2d SS game.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!