Other Fighting Games > Classic King of Fighters

The NeoEmpire podcast opinions

(1/2) > >>

solidshark:
Listened to the NeoEmpire podcast recently where the topic was "Where the hell is XIII (console version)?"
It was a good discussion, and very opinionated; a thurough reminder of the polarization of the community, between those who think, '98/UM, '02/UM, XI or any other is the best. I heard that mostly out of Kusogaki. While he noted several things I agree with, some things he had to say about XIII just made me go "what?" (and a few other words). It's a little scary to think some expert to think that XIII might get treated like S/SFIV/AE - the current game of the franchise that brings the community together but is also considered inferior. Opinions vary, but I don't really think inferior when I see XIII. And maybe I'm taking Kusogaki's take on XIII a bit rough, but for those who've heard the podcast and played both XIII and 2k2/UM in particular, what do y'all think?

Rex Dart:
Perhaps this is a good place for an all-purpose Podcast thread?

Anyway, if you haven't listened to it, Kane317 summarizes the pro-KOF XIII side quite nicely in Orochinagi's recent podcast:

http://orochinagi.com/2011/04/the-on-show-podcast-01

I was also a bit surprised by the negativity in the NeoEmpire podcast, but realize that "the best KOF" is always an enormously subjective thing. However, KOF XIII is, unquestionably, the KOF with the most mainstream appeal.

desmond_kof:

--- Quote from: Rex Dart on April 14, 2011, 07:43:17 PM ---Perhaps this is a good place for an all-purpose Podcast thread?

--- End quote ---

There is a podcast thread made by myself that is constantly updated with new shows, and a discussion thread made by Dark Geese in the KOF section:

http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?board=20.0

Shiranui_ninja:

--- Quote from: Rex Dart on April 14, 2011, 07:43:17 PM ---Perhaps this is a good place for an all-purpose Podcast thread?

Anyway, if you haven't listened to it, Kane317 summarizes the pro-KOF XIII side quite nicely in Orochinagi's recent podcast:

http://orochinagi.com/2011/04/the-on-show-podcast-01

I was also a bit surprised by the negativity in the NeoEmpire podcast, but realize that "the best KOF" is always an enormously subjective thing. However, KOF XIII is, unquestionably, the KOF with the most mainstream appeal.

--- End quote ---

It's a pretty interesting and entertaining podcast to hear.
For me, is not about 'the best kof'. Every kof has its own good things and its own personality. I think it's about future. Maybe 2002Um is better than XIII, but ignore XIII and just play 2002UM is like live in the past. Is like 'ok, snkp can disappear if they want, I don't care, I have all what I want, kof2002Um'. Kof XIII is the brand new instalment of the franchise, and if players want a future for KoF they have to support it. KOFXIII is just the beginning, but it can grow and be improved if there's a future. Look '94 and look '98. This is why I feel interested in KoFXIII because I want kof re-birth. Even with that low tier Mai, I will deal with it or just wait to they improve her in next title, giving my impressions in forums, but not quitting of XIII.

KusoGaki:

--- Quote from: solidshark on April 14, 2011, 07:32:24 PM ---Listened to the NeoEmpire podcast recently where the topic was "Where the hell is XIII (console version)?"
It was a good discussion, and very opinionated; a thurough reminder of the polarization of the community, between those who think, '98/UM, '02/UM, XI or any other is the best. I heard that mostly out of Kusogaki. While he noted several things I agree with, some things he had to say about XIII just made me go "what?" (and a few other words). It's a little scary to think some expert to think that XIII might get treated like S/SFIV/AE - the current game of the franchise that brings the community together but is also considered inferior. Opinions vary, but I don't really think inferior when I see XIII. And maybe I'm taking Kusogaki's take on XIII a bit rough, but for those who've heard the podcast and played both XIII and 2k2/UM in particular, what do y'all think?

--- End quote ---

Which parts made you 'what'? lol. :)

I'm not sure if you've read it but i have previously written my first impressions of XIII on my blog (here), and a short blurb about the podcast (here).

Of course as i have not had a great deal of time with XIII also (maybe 20 or so games total) it is difficult to form a solid opinion about the game.

From what i have played so far it is a good game spoiled by some things (for the most part glitches, Raiden, etc...). I actually quite like some parts of the system, it's the direction i had hoped the game would go after XII.

For the most part the problem with myself personally comparing the two games (preferences between the two), is that 02UM is accessable now and is familiar enough for me to understand (for the most part) what is going on.

I don't think that XIII has gone to the extreme of some of the newer fighting games (come back systems, etc) but when you look at the perspective of difficulty in terms of high damage combos (or landing them) i think 02UM had it right and that XIII veers in between the fine line of whether some combos might be a bit too easy.

When the game comes out and i get more access to learning it of course my opinion of it may change, but for now out of the two my preference is with 02UM.

Also the thing with 02UM is there is so much to learn within that game i think that i could play it for a long time to come.

As for the game overall i think (and hope) that it will do well in the West, i have heard people are playing 02UM over XIII in Asia, but i think XIII has a lot more 'appeal' compared to the older games.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version