Author Topic: FATAL FURY SPECIAL (餓狼伝説SPECIAL)  (Read 20238 times)

Anakron

FATAL FURY SPECIAL (餓狼伝説SPECIAL)
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:34:54 PM »
Fatal Fury Special (餓狼伝説SPECIAL, Garō Densetsu Special?, "Legend of the Wild Wolf Special") is 1993 head-to-head fighting game produced by SNK originally released for the Neo Geo arcade and home platforms. It is an updated version of Fatal Fury 2, introducing several changes to the gameplay system while expanding the available character roster

If you like Street Fighter 2, Samurai Shodown, Fighter's History Dynamite or any 'old school' 2D fighting game, why the hell aren't you playing this game?!!! It's even emulated on GGPO perfectly!

What's so great about it? Well, it has a really good balance of defense/offense. With lane switching, you can count on not being dominated by fireballs. The game has tick throws but they aren't crazy like ST. It also has a simple but meaningful combo system. It also has a cool cast with interesting move sets. It also contains some of the most beautiful stages in fighting games ever.

Plane shifting is simple and can be done by pressing the :snka:+:snkb: buttons. When you are on a different plane, each normal attack you do will instead be a plane shift attack, which attacks your opponent on the other plane.
Blow back attack (similar to KOF's) is done by pressing C+D

ANDY BOGARD
Zen Eiken [1]6+P - shoulder charge forward. Good for 2-in-1s and keeping pressure.
Shoryu Dan 236+P - dragon punch without dragon punch motion
Kuhadan 19+K - pinball rainbow kick. AA's I guess
Hishoken 214+P - cool fireball attack
Cho Reppa Dan [2]3+B+D,6 - pinball kick super

AXEL HAWK
Hell Bomber 6+D - mash throw
Electric attack 4+D - mash throw
Rolling buster 9+D - OH MY GOD THE DAMAGE THEY BETTER MASH OUT OF THIS
Tornado upper 236+P - pretty big torndao projectile
Smash bomber [1]6+P - charge forward punch
Axel Dance ~A~ - mash attack like Hyper Hands, use in combos
Axel Rush 463219+BC - dashing charge super

BIG BEAR
Power Bomb 6+C
Back Drop 4+C
Lariot Drop 3+C
Lift Up Throw    3+D
Neck Hang    6+D
Head Butt    4+D
Bear Hug     2+D
Giant Bomb [1]6+P - shoulder charge forward that has inv on start up or something
Super Drop Kick [D] for 5 seconds - yes, this move actually comes out
Bear Bomber    6428+P - the command grab, although his other ones might be better, this one is comboable I think?
Fire Breath  63216+BC - zangief fire breath

Billy Kane
Ippon Tsuri Nage - (cl.) 6+C: grabs them with the pole and flips them over his shoulder, opponent lands on opposite side
Jigoku Otoshi - (cl.) 6+D: Billy chokes them with the pole, can be mashed out
San Setsu Kon Chu Dan Uchi - [4]6+P: Pole stretches forward, C version stretches farther
Suzume Otoshi - [1]9+P: Pole stretches upward, C version stretches farther
Senpu Kon - mash A: Billy makes the pole spin around him
Kyou Shuu Hishou Kon - 1236+K: Billy launches himself into the air to descend onto the opponent, the start-up is kinda slow, the C version goes farther
Cho Kaen Senpu Kon (DM) - 23632147+AC: Billy spins the pole around to create a circular flame then launches it at the opponent

Cheng Sinzan
Aiki Nage - (cl.) 6+C: over the shoulder throw, opponent lands on the opposite side
Zutsuki Satsu - (cl.) 6+D: grabs them and headbutts them, mash throw
Kirai Ho - 236+P: throws a energy ball, A version goes about halfway then hits the ground while the C version goes almost full screen
Dai Taikobara Uchi - [2]8+P: similar to Blanka's up ball, A version can be navigated  
Hagan Geki - [4]6+K: a forward Blanka ball, D version has a slower start-up
Bakurai Hoh (DM) - [1]236+BC: A more powerful version of Kirai Ho

Duck King
Rolling Neck Throw - (cl.) 6+C: over the shoulder throw, opponent lands on other side
Reverse Breaker - (cl. air) 2+C: grabs opponent in the air then slams them to the ground
Headspin Attack - [4]6+P: A Blanka ball, C version comes out really fast
Break Storm - 2369+K: looks like a DP except with kicks, C version comes out faster
Dancing Dive - 214+K: a Tiger Knee, C version goes higher/farther
Beat Rush - 646+C: Duck does a combo finishing with a punch, seems very exploitable in combos
Needle Low - 3+D: a slide, smilar to King's slide in KOF/AOF
Break Spiral (DM) - (cl.) 4123692+BC: Tosses the opponent into the air then kicks them around whilst dancing

Geese Howard
Katate Nage - (cl.) 6+C: over the shoulder throw, opponent lands on opposite side
Shinku Nage - (cl.) 3+C: ground throw, picks opponent up then slams them landing on the other side
Kosatsu Sho - (cl.) 6+D: Grabs opponent and hold them into the air and chokes them, mash throw
Reppuuken - 236+A: ground projectile
Double Reppuuken - 236+C: ground projectile except bigger and faster, slower start-up as well
Shippuuken - (air) 214+P: air projectile, causes Geese to float for a bit making it kinda unsafe
Atemi Nage - (counter) 412369+K: standard counter against normals, it can counter Raging Storm (and other DM's?) as well
Raging Storm (DM) - 1632143+BC: His trademark special move, can be comboed into

Joe Higashi
Thai Kick - (cl.) 6+C: Joe does Frankensteiner, opponent lands on opposite side
Hiza Jigoku - (cl.) 6+D: Joe repeatedly knees the opponent in the stomach, mash throw
Slash Kick - [1]9+K: Joe does a kick and fly's across the screen, D version goes full screen
TNT Punch - mash P: same as Honda's one hand slap
Tiger Kick - 2369+K: Tiger Knee, C version goes higher/farther
Hurrican Upper - 41236+P: A tornado projectile that goes full screen, C version comes out faster
Screw Upper (DM) - 641236+BC: A much larger flaming Hurricane Upper, moves a very short range

Jubei Yamada
Ippon Seoi - (cl.) 6+C: over the shoulder throw (literally), opponent lands on opposite side
Kumo Koroshi - (cl.) 9+C: Looks like Blanka's head bite throw from SF2, mash throw
Tawara Nage - (cl.) 3+C: another over the shoulder throw, opponent lands on opposite side
Benkei Nakashi (cl.) 6+D: Jubei grapples the opponent and kicks them, mash throw
Tomoe Nage - (cl.) 4+D: yet another over the shoulder throw, opponent lands on opposite side, similar to Ken's HK throw in SF2
Jumping Izuna Otoshi (cl. air) 2+D: grabs them does a from flip then slams  
Nihon Seoi Dash - [4]6+K: over the shoulder throw except instead of being close he runs toward the opponent to grab them
Ooizuna Otoshi - (cl.) [2]8+P: Picks up opponent and launches into then slams them
Senbei-Shuriken - [4]6+P: Sonic Boom, C version is faster
Neko Jarashi - (cl.) 63214+C: Grabs opponent does a front flip then slams them
Dynamite Izuna Otoshi (DM) - (cl.) [1]23+BC: A more powerful version of Ooizuna Otoshi

Kim Kaphwan
Sakkyaku Nage - (cl.) 6+C: over the shoulder throw, opponent lands on opposite side
Hi En Zan - [2]8+K: Kim's flash kick, D version goes higher
Han Getsu Zan - 214+K: Kim does a front flip to a split kicking the opponent, D version goes full screen
Hishou Kyaku - (in air) 2+K: Descends on opponent repeatedly kicking them, there doesn't seem to be a difference between the B or D version
Houou Kyaku (DM) - 2141236+BD: Kim does a kick combo ending with Hi En Zan

Laurence Blood
Poncho Throw - (cl.) 6+C: a regular throw
Poncho Breaker - (cl.) 6+D: Wraps the capote (dress cape) around the opponent and squeezes them, mash throw
Flying Buster - (cl. air) 2+C: Grabs opponent in the air and descends to the ground doing a back breaker
Bloody Saber - 41236+C: Takes out his saber and lunges at the opponent, C version goes farther
Bloody Spin - [4]6+K: similar to psycho crusher, both versions go full screen and the D version is faster
Bloody Cutter - [2]8+C: Looks like Dictator's Devil Reverse from SF2 except it's really fast
Bloody Flash (DM) - 34123616+BD

Mai Shiranui
Leg Throw - (cl.) 6+C: Mai grabs them with her legs and slams them, opponent lands on opposite side
Yumezakura - (cl. air) 2+D: grabs opponent in the air then slams them to the ground
Ryu En Bu - 214+P: swings part of dress (that's on now fire) and hits the opponent, can be comboed into and the C version is more powerful
Hissatsu Shinobibachi - 41236+K: Mai does a rolling shoulder tackle, D version goes father but isn't all that safe so be careful, can be comboed into
Ka Cho Sen - 236+P: a fan projectile, C version goes a lot faster, can be comboed into
Musasabi no Mai - (Mai's Stage only) [2]8+P: Mai jumps onto one of the poles in her stage then divebombs towards her opponent hitting them, can be used even if they're in the background and can be comboed into as well, it's a really good move but sadly it's exclusive to her stage :(
Cho Hisatsu Shinobobachi (DM) - 616+BC: It's Hissatsu Shinobibachi except with more fire! can be comboed into but you can also be knocked out of it during the start-up so watch out

Terry Bogard
Buster Throw - (cl.) 6+C: grabs opponent and slams them, opponent lands on opposite side
Burn Knuckle - 214+P: Terry does a punch and fly's across the screen, C version goes full screen and has a slower start-up despite being faster, can be comboed into
Rising Tackle - [2]8+P: An upward barrage of kicks, C version goes higher and has a slightly faster start-up, can be comboed into
Crack Shot - 2147+K: Terry does a flip kick towards the opponent, C version goes full screen, can be comboed into
Power Wave - 236+P: Terry's ground projectile, both version go full screen, C version is faster, can be comboed into
Power Geyser (DM) - 21416+BC: A much larger and more powerful version of Power Wave, it's has the same properties as Joe's Screw Upper except it has a slight wider hitbox and doesn't go anywhere lol, can be comboed into

Tung Fu Rue
Ressen Shou - (cl.) 6+C: Tung does a barrage of punches to the opponent
Senshippo - 214+P: A punch that lunges towards the opponent, C version goes father, can be comboed into
Gekihou - mash C: Tung makes a large muscular image above himself, a good AA I suppose, can be comboed into?
Ressen Kyaku - [1]9+K: A barrage of kicks, D version does more hits, can be comboed into?
Shou Ha - [1]6+P: A projectile that doesn't leave Tung's palm, has a lot of range and the C version goes even farther, can be comboed into
Senpuu Gouken (DM) - 6328+BC: Tung spins around whilst making a bigger image of himself hitting the opponent, can be comboed into?

Wolfgang Krauser
Knee Smasher - (cl.) 6+C: roll over the knee throw, opponent lands on opposite side
Lift Up Blow - (cl.) 3+C:
Neck Hang Blow - (cl.) 6+D: Holds them up in the air and repeatedly punches them in the gut, mash throw
High Blitz Ball - 214+P: a standard fireball that goes full screen, C version isn't that much faster, can be comboed into
Low Blitz Ball - 214+K: same as above except it comes out lower to the ground, C version isn't that much faster, can be comboed into
Leg Tomahawk - 236+K: A rolling kick, C version goes a bit higher, can be comboed into
Atemi Nage - (counter) 412369+P: Krauser counters their attack then throws them, the C version they get thrown farther for more damage, can probably counter DM's as well
Kaiser Wave (DM) - [4]9+AC: Krauser charges then throws a wave across the screen, can be comboed into

Kim | - 6 4 5 5 8 7 7 8 7 7 7 6 7 7 | 91 +27
Mai | 4 - 5 5 7 4 5 5 6 5 5 6 7 6 7 | 77 + 7
Billy | 6 5 - 6 4 4 6 4 7 3 5 5 6 8 7 | 76 + 6
Joe | 5 5 4 - 6 6 4 6 6 6 5 4 6 6 5 | 74 + 4
Terry | 5 3 6 4 - 5 5 5 5 6 7 5 5 7 5 | 73 + 3
Bear | 2 6 6 4 5 - 6 4 4 6 7 6 5 6 4 | 71 + 1
Axel | 3 5 4 6 5 4 - 5 7 5 5 4 5 6 7 | 71 + 1
Geese | 3 5 6 4 5 6 5 - 5 5 5 6 4 4 7 | 70 -+0
Jubei | 2 4 3 4 5 6 3 5 - 7 5 7 6 4 7 | 68 - 2
Krauser | 3 5 7 4 4 4 5 5 3 - 5 7 4 6 6 | 68 - 2
Andy | 3 5 5 5 3 3 5 5 5 5 - 6 5 6 5 | 66 - 4
Laurence | 3 4 5 6 5 4 6 4 3 3 4 - 6 5 6 | 64 - 6
Duck | 4 3 4 4 5 5 5 6 4 6 5 4 - 5 4 | 64 - 6
Cheng | 3 4 2 4 3 4 4 6 6 4 4 5 5 - 5 | 59 -11
Tung | 3 3 3 5 5 6 3 3 3 4 5 4 6 5 - | 58 -12

Joe | - 3 5 5 6 8 7 6 7 7 7 7 7 8 8 | 91 +21
Kim | 7 - 6 6 3 6 6 7 7 7 7 7 7 6 7 | 89 +19
Mai | 5 4 - 5 6 6 5 6 6 6 7 7 7 7 8 | 85 +15
Andy | 5 4 5 - 5 7 5 5 6 7 6 7 8 6 7 | 83 +13
Billy | 4 7 4 5 - 6 4 6 5 6 7 7 8 7 7 | 83 +13
Jubei | 2 4 4 3 4 - 3 6 7 6 7 8 7 9 9 | 79 + 9
Geese | 3 4 5 5 6 7 - 5 4 6 6 6 7 7 6 | 77 + 7
Terry | 4 3 4 5 4 4 5 - 6 6 6 5 6 4 5 | 67 - 3
Krauser | 3 3 4 4 5 3 6 4 - 7 4 3 7 6 7 | 66 - 4
Axel | 3 3 4 3 4 4 4 4 3 - 6 7 7 6 5 | 63 - 7
Cheng | 3 3 3 4 3 3 4 4 6 4 - 5 6 7 4 | 59 -11
Duck | 3 3 3 3 3 2 4 5 7 3 5 - 2 6 8 | 57 -13
Tung | 3 3 3 2 2 3 3 4 3 3 4 8 - 7 6 | 54 -16
Bear | 2 4 3 4 3 1 3 6 4 4 3 4 3 - 5 | 49 -21
Laurence | 2 3 2 4 3 1 4 5 3 5 6 2 4 5 - | 49 -21

Here's Soh85's FFS playlist that contains a lot of good (albeit old) matches

http://www.youtube.com/user/Soh85#grid/user/B1244776933926A3

Axel Combos -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIdj9kkWoto
Cheng Combos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kct5mVVqpr0
Duck Combos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5orP2WnPtk
Geese Combos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlK2bYOhh2k

General notes (WIP)

Pretty much every attack can be canceled except most far attacks
eg: Terry far D can't be canceled but close D can even though these moves share the same animation

Plane shift:
A and C  and B and D have the same animations. The lighter attacks travel faster although any strength will home in on the opponent.
Up to jump, down to roll. If you are in the foreground, you cannot jump and up will cause you to roll.
There aren't many uses for it and it can be easily punished by the opponent so this is why you don't see high level players using this all the time.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 08:26:22 PM by Anakron »

Nocturnal

• Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
Re: FATAL FURY SPECIAL (餓狼伝説SPECIAL)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:48:31 PM »
Great post.
http://youtube.com/profile?user=JaimeDL = Garou MOTW Videos

http://www.twitch.tv/jaimedl = Garou MOTW streaming from time to time.

Anakron

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:47:56 PM »
Great game.

I mean, it would be much better without some characters Joe, Mai and Kim. I guess Joe requires a lot of work but Mai and Kim can be pretty brain dead at times. The game is definitely balanced though but it's hard for new players to see this outside of Laurence's vortex and Krauser's D grabs or even gimmicks like Duck's tick into DM.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 09:58:26 PM by Anakron »

booty clapper

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 03:45:39 AM »
Still fun to play. When i get the chance i do but I'm still not very good. Grasping it slowly given how much time i can find opponents to actually play it with.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 07:13:11 AM »
Why are you writing with numerical notation when we have this  ;dn ;df ;fd ?

krazykone123

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 07:23:43 AM »
Why are you writing with numerical notation when we have this  ;dn ;df ;fd ?

Because it was just recently copy and pasted from the thread on SRK

http://shoryuken.com/f308/fatal-fury-special-aka-best-game-you-arent-playing-right-now-224067/

once we get situated we'll get around to posting up notations and junk

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 07:26:36 AM »
Oh I see.

Hmmmm well what can I say about FFSP... it's alotta fun, and I'd even agree it is fairly balanced to an extent, although Kim is pretty damn BS in this game. I think Cheng is VERY underrated, I've been surprised by quite a few Cheng players before at their trickery. If I recall right, his DM's hitbox actually lasts while his big fireball dissolves on the ground, so it can still hit an opponent that foolishly walks over it when the think they are safe.

I like to play a little bit of every character in the game, although I have alot of trouble pulling off DM's sometimes, but then not many of them are all that useful. Geese's always gives me the most trouble to perform. I've seen video's where players could combo into it, but I just ain't fast enough to whip out that pretzel. Duck King has the best one I think, I've seen lots of nasty setups into it.

BTW, there is a difference between the weak and strong version of Kim's Hishoukyaku. The weak version travels at a further slope than the strong version. It's also possible to cross-up with the move sometimes.

Also Krauser has the best regular grab in the game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ynZvVoq2A
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 07:45:49 AM by Running Wild »

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »
game is great, on par with ssf2t imo. the only thing that isnt soo hot about this game is what sets it appart. the planeshifts.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 07:04:20 PM »
And  that also the game is slow by the time that was released

Anyway, still one of my favorite fighting games, I will take this over ST anyday

Well, I had problems with juubei, my friend keeps a heavy pressure, between the cookie and his dashing grab, I can't hold a breath

Waifu Material

fiol

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 11:36:17 AM »
i m always looking for players! if u see my session on supercade,pls join..

KOF XIII: billy, ralf, clark
KOF XII: ralf,kyo,ryo

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 04:39:02 AM »
I would love to play FFS with you, if weren't because I can't even had a lag free match with people from my own country in supercade :(

Waifu Material

fiol

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 08:58:27 AM »
where are u from? ^^

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »
Chile, one day we could try though

Nobody here has the game on XBLA? I think that the netcode is better than the garou and kof ones

Waifu Material

fiol

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 06:35:25 PM »
Chile, one day we could try though

Nobody here has the game on XBLA? I think that the netcode is better than the garou and kof ones

oh Chile... quite far from here (Italy lol)
anyway we can try, if it's too laggy we quit ihih

Cronopio

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 11:46:06 PM »
Good game, though it has a few problems. Jumps are looong and floaty, some f + LP moves (Maaai) dumb, and lineshifting bogs the pace of the game down a bit IMO. RB1/2 got it right in different ways.

I read lots of times that lineshifting can be countered pretty hard, but I have never seen anything concrete about that. Anyone here can offer examples?

Also, I've never seen that second matchup list, where does it come from? What makes Joe so powerful, to the point he's considered to be better than Kim?