Author Topic: Request for community questions  (Read 3548 times)

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
Request for community questions
« on: May 12, 2011, 03:28:17 AM »
We're recording episode 2 of Drive Cancel Radio this upcoming Sunday. Our guests will be there to discuss traveling to improve one's game versus playing online. We'll also discuss the state of the SNK community in the U.S. and what can be done to improve it. If you have any questions, post them in this thread.

Giby

• Strongest Tiger
  • Man Chest
    • View Profile
    • snk-capcom dot com
Re: Request for community questions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 02:30:19 AM »
Online: How can one judge another's play by playing them from across the country? GGPO may have good code, but anytime I play someone with higher than 60 ping it goes to hell and my combos drop more than half the time. I understand that some may not have competition in their region, but what's stopping them from traveling? Money would be the only thing that comes to mind, especially when school's aren't in session.

Offline: Traveling is great, but going around playing many different styles is better than traveling to one place. There is no one in the US who really travels for SNK games, those who do travel tend to go to one spot. How can one bash ggpo players who show impressive skill by claiming the GGPO players use program pads/macros? There are ways to prove GGPO players are/are not using macros via replays, and although there are players who use them, many of the big names do not. Why not hop on GGPO to play casuals, if one feel its a joke it won't matter if one wins or loses.

Both: Do Ash's pants make my butt look big?

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 03:01:47 AM »
What does Offline competition bring to ones skills besides learning to deal with the crowd pressure and hearing another person button inputs?

I say this because if the game has good online (for example: BlazBlue), you can learn a lot more from playing online than from offline. Specially if you don't have the top players of the game 2 to 3 hrs from you or a scene of the game you want to learn and compete.

krazykone123

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »
Questions for tourney players

What motivates you to play/get better, fame/fortune/fun, hookers+blow? no vague one line answers please, go in-depth.

In terms of skill/execution where do you place yourself on the scale? I'm so bad I ain't even MAD level? Intermediate with some bad habits thrown in the mix? tournament level who can bump heads with other high level cats? top player who know's the game in & out and is prone to read people before they even think of throwing out that 623 motion? top player with that USA execution? or "top of the PSN/XBLA leaderboard swag" level?

What do you think of people who play fighting games through tiers? low-tier pride/Top Tier whore

If you hate people who play fighting games through tiers, how would you go about telling these people to kick rocks?

How do you feel about other fighting game communities as opposed to your own?

Continued Below...

krazykone123

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »
Do you think versatility is important in terms of publicity i.e putting on a good show for a stream? I know most (or some) people who play XIII are quick to flock to K'/Raiden which fine because they want to maximise their chances of winning, but do you think it's fair/un-fair that the audience and the stream monsters have to watch the same characters fight over and over again, does it matter? or is it the exact opposite and makes the game look bad?

When your not up next and just watching other people go at it, are you the kind player that watches waiting to see some cool combo, or do you pick the match apart (looking for mistakes like missing easy chain normals, whiffing special attacks, lack of punishing, no throw teching) etcetera?

Do you have any special gimmicks you would like to share?

Online/Offline, both?

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 07:15:17 AM »
Regarding the US community issue:

Do you think having so many versions of KOF has affected the entry for non SNK/KOF fan?

Ash Riot

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:51:56 PM »
Do you think there should be a stream for snk games where top players from other communities interact with each other could help boost the popularity for the snk scene tournaments. Like here is an example jwong and floe from marvel and street fighter playing mortal kombat
and holding their own against top players from mortal kombat like tom brady and reo. My point is that there should be more crossover communities on stream where people are watching that can help both communities. Sorry for the long post.

This was posted on the DC Facebook page, by someone else.  Just in case you guys missed it, I wanted to post it here, since I thought it was a really good one.  Hopefully something like this happens for the XIII tournament at ReveLAtions, wink wink.  ;)