Poll

How many points total should each team consist?

6 (27.3%)
11 (50%)
2 (9.1%)
2 (9.1%)
other (please write below)
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: SoCal KoF  (Read 277922 times)

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: SoCal KoF
« Reply #270 on: October 22, 2010, 11:30:28 AM »
not really relative to the running conversation, but i'll be at AI a bit tomorrow afternoon till whenever depending on the crowd. i want to try out some other characters just to see how that pans out.

also, i'm probably pushing my schedule by heading out there on saturday, though i probably won't participate.

It's all good, we were getting OT as usual anyways.  You really should participate, but if you're not, at least stop by and show your support :)  (Heck it's only $8 entrance fee, $3 of which goes to AI by default)

Played John 1v1 for awhile today, come to think of it I haven't played him like that in awhile and it's always a humbling experience as he straights you constantly.  I don't really say this enough, but Mr. Kof is damn good.  GG John. =)

damn it, yuhang. stop tempting me lol i'll consider it, if only to rep more vice and king. i'll let you have leona for the meantime (3rd pending).

i hope i'm able to play as often as i have been (once or twice every other week). i've been getting to get to know a few of the regular players and it's been pretty inspiring and a great experience to say the least. i hope you guys continue to build the scene to grow even stronger, though i wont be around to see it next year. i've been noticing a lot of ssf4 players stopping to watch a few matches, and i've been tempted every once in a while to introduce them or at least talk to them about the game. unfortunately, i'm not a very good draw since spectators constantly see me on the losing end lol

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 22, 2010, 01:02:15 PM »
damn it, yuhang. stop tempting me lol i'll consider it, if only to rep more vice and king. i'll let you have leona for the meantime (3rd pending).

Heh...you know you want too...why say no when yes feel so right!

i hope i'm able to play as often as i have been (once or twice every other week). i've been getting to get to know a few of the regular players and it's been pretty inspiring and a great experience to say the least.

That's how it all begins, I remember when, Abe and I were strangers, Oscar and I were strangers, Cali-Mexicans, John, RJ, Duc etc...but that's how it all begins.

i hope you guys continue to build the scene to grow even stronger, though i wont be around to see it next year.

I must have missed it, why won't you be here?  I think you explained it to me but AI is too loud so it's hard to hear.

i've been noticing a lot of ssf4 players stopping to watch a few matches, and i've been tempted every once in a while to introduce them or at least talk to them about the game. unfortunately, i'm not a very good draw since spectators constantly see me on the losing end lol

Nah keep at it, Abe used to lose every game in the beginning, but thru persistence and hard work he persevered (even some more experienced players quit along the way) and kept going.  I still lose the majority of the games to the regulars as well but it's always fun.  I also like the challenge to improve one's game so I keep at it.

Mr.KOF

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 22, 2010, 02:15:36 PM »
It's always a good game with you YuhengYuhang (haha I think everytime you've spelled my name wrong). Straighting someone isn't always fun...but i'd like to do it once in a while just to remind you of how serious i can play. If i can't OCV every player that i play...then that means the opponent is doing something right =)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:56:40 AM by Kane317 »

eLive.pro|Mr.KOF

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 22, 2010, 07:24:34 PM »
I think a lot of how we list the point system has a bias on what characters we have the most trouble playing against. I'm sure the point system will change a lot once we figure out the weakness of each character rather than focusing on what the strengths of each characters are.

For example if you play a character and you know what your character's weakness is, you will rank it lower. However opponents may not realize and exploit those weakness, therefore still rank your character higher.

Pretty sure in time every character will converge to a closer rating to each other, but since there's a high demand of variety of characters in videos we'll partake in this point-based tournament.

davidkong07

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 22, 2010, 08:36:49 PM »
ARGHGHHG school has prevented me from going to AI on multiple occasions in the past two months, and i've been investing more time into SSF4 recently in preparation for major tournaments and whatnot, so it looks like i've fallen wayy wayyyyyy behind. keep on doing what you're doing, and hopefully once this game hits consoles i can catch up!
In it to win it!

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 23, 2010, 07:05:15 AM »
I think a lot of how we list the point system has a bias on what characters we have the most trouble playing against. I'm sure the point system will change a lot once we figure out the weakness of each character rather than focusing on what the strengths of each characters are.

For example if you play a character and you know what your character's weakness is, you will rank it lower. However opponents may not realize and exploit those weakness, therefore still rank your character higher.

Pretty sure in time every character will converge to a closer rating to each other, but since there's a high demand of variety of characters in videos we'll partake in this point-based tournament.

Agreed, of course our lists have our biases.  Need I remind you out of the SBO 22 qualifiers in Japan (that listed their team here) , 18 of them had K' on their teams, perhaps suggesting that whatever weakness they felt K' had, it wasn't big enough to stop them having him on the team--better yet, whatever weakness they felt K' had, it wasn't as bad as the weaknesses that Raiden, Liz, Kyo etc have...hence the picks (Then next popular were Kyo: 8 Elisabeth: 7 Kula: 7 Raiden: 6). You should take that as a compliment, we all find K' hard to deal with :)  On with our tournament (T-minus...)

-----------------

GOOD GAMES EVERYONE who came out to the tournament. The results are....

...wait for the videos. All joking aside, we all decided it'll be more enjoyable if people watched the videos without knowing the results beforehand. :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 09:01:02 AM by Kane317 »

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 25, 2010, 04:14:29 PM »
Great tournament guys, I had fun even thou I got blown up. Congrats to the winner. I think I need to start playing more characters since I was mixing and matching through out the tournament and couldn't get a solid team going.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

4leaf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 25, 2010, 04:49:07 PM »
We're not going to use the ratio system for future tourneys are we? No limitations next time around. It's not like we were lacking variety prior to this shenanegan in the first place.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 25, 2010, 04:59:27 PM »
We're not going to use the ratio system for future tourneys are we? No limitations next time around. It's not like we were lacking variety prior to this shenanegan in the first place.

That's an odd request coming from the guy who insisted on two randoms.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:05:37 PM by Kane317 »

4leaf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 25, 2010, 07:13:23 PM »
How so? I played on my own terms and so should everyone else when it comes to tourneys (bosses excluded).

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 25, 2010, 09:15:05 PM »
How so? I played on my own terms and so should everyone else when it comes to tourneys (bosses excluded).

Very good point I guess it was okay to PLEASE the people here on the forums that want variety, however I do feel like it was somewhat unfair for some people who can not affort to go to AI more than once a week and practice with other characters. As a matter of fact I would like to request for my matches to NOT be uploaded since my performance was shameful.
and yes moving forward we should forget about this point system "shenanegans" maybe a year after the console version comes out we can consider doing this again.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:48:25 PM by THE ANSWER »
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 25, 2010, 09:35:20 PM »
As a matter of fact I would like to request for my matches to NOT be uploaded since my performance was shameful. 

at first, i also wanted to request this (if in fact the matches did get recorded). then i realized it would be good to see where things went wrong, and that 2nd set went horribly wrong lol. i feel bad for not GGing realkim. i was pretty disappointed by how easily i collapsed during the first match of the set. coming off my first loss set with kane, i was pretty anxious to play again after the long stretch of time inbetween (i get hardcore tourney nerves). anyway, i didn't mean to be disrespectful at all. gotta start picking up my game a whole lot more if i want to be on par with everyone else. unfortunately, i can't come as often as i'd like to.

4leaf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 25, 2010, 09:40:56 PM »
and yes moving forward we should forget about this point system "shenanegans" maybe a year after the console version comes out we can consider doing this again.

Agreed. Time (and money in this case) is needed if we want to pick up new characters and be comfortable enough to put them in the lineup.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 25, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »
As a matter of fact I would like to request for my matches to NOT be uploaded since my performance was shameful. 

at first, i also wanted to request this (if in fact the matches did get recorded). then i realized it would be good to see where things went wrong, and that 2nd set went horribly wrong lol. i feel bad for not GGing realkim. i was pretty disappointed by how easily i collapsed during the first match of the set. coming off my first loss set with kane, i was pretty anxious to play again after the long stretch of time inbetween (i get hardcore tourney nerves). anyway, i didn't mean to be disrespectful at all. gotta start picking up my game a whole lot more if i want to be on par with everyone else. unfortunately, i can't come as often as i'd like to.

I see what you mean but I already know what the problem is in my case, I don't know how use any other characters besides K', Kula, Elizabeth and my Kensou is just too rusty. I haven't had the TIME or MONEY to do so and I hope my request is respected.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 25, 2010, 10:36:21 PM »

So how did that affect you, you were going to play two randoms ANYWAYS.  Or are you saying that your competition wasn't good enough?

Very good point I guess it was okay to PLEASE the people here on the forums that want variety, however I do feel like it was somewhat unfair for some people who can not affort to go to AI more than once a week and practice with other characters. As a matter of fact I would like to request for my matches to NOT be uploaded since my performance was shameful.

WOW.  

Please the forums?  You got this all wrong, I never went into this to please the forums.  You know, the ratio system was OPTIONAL and you could have chosen your normal characters, EVERYBODY could.  I asked you, are you in for the ratio system, you said "I'm down." EDIT: (Found your quote and placed it at the bottom) Now I'm hearing complaints...too funny.  So you didn't play as well as you thought, (we all didn't) I still upload matches that I lose all the time.  From the first tourney there were a couple of upsets (Duc), their matches still got uploaded, they didn't complain.  Should I not upload my matches until I win a major tournament?

If you had won with your characters, you wouldn't be complaining.

Agreed. Time (and money in this case) is needed if we want to pick up new characters and be comfortable enough to put them in the lineup.

Urm, then choose your characters RJ.   I think this is a huge COP-OUT coming from the guy who chose two randoms and now feels like it was a bad idea.  You could have participating the "regular way".

I see what you mean but I already know what the problem is in my case, I don't know how use any other characters besides K', Kula, Elizabeth and my Kensou is just too rusty. I haven't had the TIME or MONEY to do so and I hope my request is respected.

Then choose your regular characters, nobody was stopping you.  I'm actually rather disappointed in the both of you, not in your performance, but your complaints like sore losers.  To me, it's more shameful that you're complaining like this than your actual performance.

I'm down for anything (no homo)

I'll add you to the list. Btw, I'm going today and most likely the last time before the tournament. EDIT: Revised my list.

Furthermore, we said it already, the ratio system is unofficial, nobody HAS TO participate--if you feel that ratio system does not serve you well you can still join the tourney and choose any character.  

---

Going back to WHY we did the tournament, if we just focus on the positive instead of the negative, we can watch they tourney and think to ourselves, "hmm this character is pretty interesting, or that character is pretty interesting--I should pick them up."  I think the secondary affects of the tournament is harder to see, but down the line I'm sure it'll spark the interest of picking up new characters.  If we did our videos to "please" the internet then we would have failed simply because anyone can see the KCE videos have higher quality matches than we do.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:43:12 PM by Kane317 »