Author Topic: Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 General Discussion  (Read 33566 times)

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
Re: Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 General Discussion
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »
I don't necessarily feel tick throws are necessary but a standard throw command as opposed to the traditional  ;fd / ;bk + ;c would be nice. I find I use throws more often when I have a dedicated button or even two buttons to do this with and it seems like it gives the player easier setups and options for it. Tick throws to me feel a little...I dunno, like they can sometimes take away from the game? But then again, I'm coming from the SF approach and I see how tick throws work and usually the really fast characters become more over-powered with them like Vega in ST/HDR, especially since throws do so much damage in that game. I literally tick threw a guy an entire match and made him ragequit. Maybe I just need to see tick throwing implemented in other fighters?

In regards to reblancing? I'm 100% in favor of that. As Musolini pointed out, many of characters feel watered down. Then we have instances where if you added something like a tick throw, you have Bob and Rick being even more dominating and a potential ban could happen. I would hate to see Rick or Bob go the way of Akuma in ST/HDR, so I'd rather their infinites be removed at the very least and do some other tweaking. In writing up character threads on this forum, I have come to find that Billy is a shining example of a character who feels like he really didn't get much attention. They watered him down a little and then just left him alone. Now he has a very hard time keeping up in mid-high level gameplay. For beginners, he seems godly. When you get to a higher level of gameplay, Billy just can't keep up. That should never happen in a fighting game imo, even the lowest tier character should be able to keep up in high-level play.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2011, 07:51:22 PM »
I think a separate throw button or a 2 button throw command would be a terrible idea. It'll be like SF4 where you're constantly hitting them. Yeck. Would be better if throws just worked like they do in Garou. Only thing I'd change in RB2 besides that, is add a throw whiff/start-up animation to command grabs in the game. And maybe change the way meter works in the game, especially Supers.

As for Billy, isn't he among the mid tiers? He's very Anti-Kim. I used to play a few good Billy players in the past and their tactics with Billy effectively shut down Kim's rushdown. Kim can get a free S-Power if he's willing to try jumping Billy's Fire Wheel S-Power, and his P-Power hitbox is so big, he can actually hit Billy inside his Fire Wheel with it if timed right. Billy does a good job with keepaway though, and he has some pretty good hitboxes on many of his normals that are hard to beat out.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:10:53 AM by Running Wild »

Zabel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2011, 10:20:14 PM »
Anyone down to play today? Just chillin in the lobby for Supercade and don't have much to do today.

AM2

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2011, 03:49:25 AM »
To me, tick throws are just another mid/high-level Fighting Game technique. If a game doesn't have the mechanics that allow tick throws to happen, I'm fine with that. RB2 not having them is fine, but some of the characters not being able to compete in mid/high-level play is interesting to hear. Is it possible to get an alright connection for online play if you only have wi-fi?

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2011, 06:35:09 PM »
To me, tick throws are just another mid/high-level Fighting Game technique. If a game doesn't have the mechanics that allow tick throws to happen, I'm fine with that. RB2 not having them is fine, but some of the characters not being able to compete in mid/high-level play is interesting to hear. Is it possible to get an alright connection for online play if you only have wi-fi?

Keep in mind that the current opinions on characters is based on the high level players in America. Its all we really have to go on at the moment but the Japanese and Koreans may have different opinions. Probably not, but its still worth remembering that every region of the world has its own tier listing (At least, they should). My opinion on Billy is more or less from examining him and having discussions with God 2.0 about him.

As for WiFi? I used to play and get decent connections over WiFi but unfortunately it will lag more than a wired connections. Usually when people lag or have connection issues? WiFi is the first thing people say get rid of as it causes problems. Great for things like iPods or whatever but not too good for p2p gaming. Get an extremely long Ethernet cable if you can.

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2011, 11:45:21 AM »
Just an FYI to anyone who may click any old links from SRK: SRK has recently changed a lot of their site structure and forums. All old threads still EXIST, but the previous links for them are now invalid. You have to search for them via the advanced search option which can be tedious. I highly recommend no one post any links to SRK that are too old, or just paste the info directly to DC. Even links to other posts/topics that someone else has posted on the SRK forums ITSELF (like the first post for the old RB2 thread) are all invalid now and must be found by doing an advanced search. This is all the more reason to put all of the RB2/KoF/etc info now onto Dreamcancel.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2011, 09:55:02 PM »

its not fine, anybody that has played this game seriously at a high enough level will tell you the same. the game either needs tick throws or guard break, prefferably both actually. this game would have been one of the best fighters ever if it had these 2 things in it.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

AM2

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2011, 01:43:00 AM »

its not fine, anybody that has played this game seriously at a high enough level will tell you the same. the game either needs tick throws or guard break, prefferably both actually. this game would have been one of the best fighters ever if it had these 2 things in it.

Damn, you're right. Would be cool to guard break someone who constantly blocks or tick throw them. Disregard what I said.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2011, 07:06:23 AM »
no problem.

on the billy note, i think most people that play it already know that hes weak to hops and dashed hops (hyper hops?) and moves that outreach his normals reach and are faster than his specials (andy's fb, yamazakis snake fist). these are just 2 small things and the person playing has an effect on the game as well. just 2 things worth noting when facing a good billy, cause yoy will need it. once you in billy can really just get you off him easily, what he can do is block and possible bait an attack and hpower you. blocking is too strong in this game...

edit: i can tell you right now billy not keeping up high level is not true. hes a beast in the simplest way possible and hes even easy to use).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:08:40 AM by MUSOLINI »

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2011, 08:29:12 AM »
Billy probably has the easiest hit confirm into a super in the game. He's dangerous with any amount of meter.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2011, 10:26:06 AM »
man if only we got this game on neo geo station on psn. none of the games released so far do it for me that id buy them again for the 3rd time, this one does though, especially with good netcode (cause otherwisde it still wouldnt be worth it, got it on neo cd and ps2). especially considering the ps2 and neo cd versions are superior to the arcade version (meaning netcode would be the only reason to get this game on psn). again, this game is jus mad fun.

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2011, 11:12:01 AM »
man if only we got this game on neo geo station on psn. none of the games released so far do it for me that id buy them again for the 3rd time, this one does though, especially with good netcode (cause otherwisde it still wouldnt be worth it, got it on neo cd and ps2). especially considering the ps2 and neo cd versions are superior to the arcade version (meaning netcode would be the only reason to get this game on psn). again, this game is jus mad fun.

KoF 95's netcode is pretty good. Its not the greatest in the world but its the best damn netcode SNK has ever produced which is saying a lot. Its about SFIV quality, maybe higher. But if RB2 has the same netcode, it will be very good. SNKP's goal has been stated several times in the past to put the ENTIRE library onto the NeoGeo Station and they're releasing all the games in order to their respective chronological series. The next games to come will probably be Fatal Fury 2, AoF 2, etc but that means expect to see RB2 eventually. They'll end up releasing FF2, Special, 3, RB, RBS, and then RB2 but its gonna happen and by then the netcode might be even BETTER. So here's looking forward to the future!

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2011, 08:58:58 PM »
^ I'm kinda similarly hopeful about this myself but look how long they are taking in between releases. KOF94 to KOF 95 was a few months KOF96 is no where in sight. Fatal Fury 2 and AOF 2 are no where to be seen. You would think they would speed through these older releases to start getting to the bigger sellers like Fatal Fury Special, Kof 97/98, or Samurai Shodown 2 ,but they seem to be taking the George Lucas route is getting every last penny out of the fans before they release the next title.

Personally I wish they would put a counter up showing how much money they need to make on the previous title before they will release the next title. 
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2011, 09:50:59 PM »
problem is most good snk games all came out later. theres some good old games, for some worth buying for others not soo much (ffs, ss2 & kof95 to name a few). all 3 of these are actually fun, i might personally get ss2 is the netcode is on par wirth 95 (dont know if theres asny comp though). personally i dont plan on buying any kof game but 13 (i love 97&98), i just wanna quit all those old kofs and not play them anymore. there are however some games that still havent got new eps, where the old ones are still great to play. im not saying older kofs aint worth playing, its just that 13 is everything kof should have been and more (if yamazaki is in it) thus making other kofs absolute.

theres still too many good games though, what to get? rb2, rbs, rb, ff3, ill probably only get rb2 (only one worth tournament play imo). LB 1 and 2 are great, though 2 is more competetive so that might be the only one i get (hopefully we get ast's and training this time around,because at least training is in the og games of aes as well).

what will be fun is getting games not released on neo geo cd that ive never owned games like waku waku 7 and kizuna encounter, matrimelee (and rotf, but thats crap). im hoping for shocktroopers as well, game was dope.

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2011, 11:45:58 PM »
I agree where you're coming from. Feeling the same way about KOF95 (good game, but really don't feel like getting serious into learning it all over again) the problem is how long are you either willing to hold out when you see a title that might be fun and is getting a lot of play (like a Fatal Fury 3 rather then waiting for RB2 to com out 2 years later) or lose interest in waiting for a decent title and forget Neo Geo Station even exists? If I knew KOF 96 and up was coming out halfway soon I would probably have never bothered downloading KOF95. Not that it's a bad game, but KOF95 is not something I want to devote time to really.

At the rate their going we'll see RB2 in 3-4 years. By then the PS3 will be obsolete more then likely (PS4 already being talked about coming soon). There is a good chance we'll never see the game thanks to the greediness of Playmore in trying to force the fans into buying the old games no one really wants to play anymore.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"