Author Topic: Toronto/Southern Ontario KOF (including XIII!)  (Read 30467 times)

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
Toronto/Southern Ontario KOF (including XIII!)
« on: June 01, 2011, 11:55:54 PM »
Hey all.  For those who don't know, Lovegety has a KOF XIII machine now (ver. 1.1)!  Game felt pretty good from the little bit of time I've spent on it so far, but the button settings are kind of screwy.  SO, EVEN IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO POST IN THIS TOPIC, PAY ATTENTION TO THE FOLLOWING PART IF YOU'RE THINKING OF PLAYING ON THIS MACHINE:

The "L"-shape button setting (B,C,D top/ A,_,_ bottom) gives you:

;a ;b ;c
 ;d

The square button setting (A,C,_ top / B,D,_ bottom) gives you:

;b ;a ;c
(nothing on bottom)

DO NOT USE THE SQUARE BUTTON SETTING IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A  ;d BUTTON!

For those who haven't been to Lovegety before, the address is:

505 Highway 7 (between Bayview and Leslie)
Thornhill, ON L3T 7P6

The game cost 2 tokens (25 cents each) to play.  Don't pay attention to the label saying "25 x 2" on it.  Quarters don't work.

If you see some white guy playing (for now) Duo Lon, Elizabeth, Shen Woo in purple colors, that's probably me *laughs* .  Hope to see some people there!  :)

@t3h mAsTarOth...!: For this sunday, is there any chance you can get to the Shepard/Dufferin TTC station instead of Finch?  Or Rutherford GO station?  I'm not 100% clear on if I can go yet (should know by friday), but if I can, those would be much easier for me to get you from.  I could do Finch otherwise, but it's just a little more out of the way.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:59:36 PM by omegaryuji »
Old man/bad player

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto/Southern Ontario KOF (including XIII!)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 03:49:55 PM »
ya i'll be there for sure... i'm trying to get 1 of my friend to come with me too... but that's a 50/50... the button layout is a bit strange... i would rather prefer any of the following...

BCD  or  AC
A             BD

but anyways... ya ANY subway station is fine with me... it's just after the TTC, the non-TO buses suck... so i'll be able to go to any station that you prefer... give me a time for when you think you'll be going also... btw awesome slash mode Galford avatar...

EDIT: if anyone wants to contact me, i can be reached at 647-773-2074
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:21:03 PM by t3h mAsTarOth...! »
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 04:03:59 PM »
I think Kane has mentioned that:

A  B  C
D

... is the default setup in Hong Kong. I may be misremembering though. It's definitely bizarre. Have you thought about asking the staff, or owner, about changing it? I would hope that a local arcade would be interested in catering to its customers (reasonable) requests.

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »
i'll for sure ask the owners about it when i go there on sunday... that layout just makes C+D hard... and it is used often... where as with my preferred layout A+D is never used in kof and thus to me that's the better layout...

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 05:27:13 PM »
I would also prefer either of the default settings myself.  Every simultaneous press located intuitively that way (well, except for EXs on the "L", I guess, but I'm still just relearning how to play KOF in general right now).  Plus with the "L", it's more similar to the layout of GG :) (as if I even really play GG these days *laughs* ).  We can try talking to the boss when we're there.  Really, I think the issue of one of the options not giving you a damned D button is important enough to warrant a change.

Hope your friend can come too, since more people is always better.  I should be good to go, but want to settle it for sure before giving a definite thumbs up.  Anyway, I know there're one or two days a week that Lovegety opens at 4:30 instead of 11 am, and I think sunday is one of them, so probably I'd be heading out around 5.
Old man/bad player

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 06:39:31 PM »
I think Kane has mentioned that:
 A  B  C
 D

... is the default setup in Hong Kong. I may be misremembering though. It's definitely bizarre. Have you thought about asking the staff, or owner, about changing it? I would hope that a local arcade would be interested in catering to its customers (reasonable) requests.

That's default Hong Kong layout alright.   Seeing how it's Toronto we're talking about that's not surprising either; tons of Cantonese people immigrated there.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 08:26:22 PM »
I don't mind the HK default too much, in and of itself.  Sure, it'd take a little getting used to, but the main issue I have is that there's a 50/50 chance of missing a D button if you don't know how the machine is set up.  However, if addressing that can also give us a B,C,D/A setting, all the better ;)

It might be interesting to find out how the machines in BC are set up, since a lot of immigrants arrived there around the time when Hong Kong changed from being part of England to China.
Old man/bad player

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 01:55:09 AM »
Doublepost of doom, just to say that sunday looks clear for me.  Yay *laughs* .  Also, I'm a bit of a fool...Finch station is actually probably more en route for me than any other subway stop *laughs* .  Preliminary plan is to pick you (and hopefully your friend) up from Finch around 5 pm, stay at gety for a while (probably no later than 9...need to wake up early for work on weekdays, so I can't stay out too late :(), then drop you off at Finch before going home to beat myself up over how awful I am at KOF now.  Sound good?

Also, I'll try to get another player to come along.  Unlikely to happen, but worth a shot *laughs* . 
Old man/bad player

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 05:16:04 PM »
Doublepost of doom, just to say that sunday looks clear for me.  Yay *laughs* .  Also, I'm a bit of a fool...Finch station is actually probably more en route for me than any other subway stop *laughs* .  Preliminary plan is to pick you (and hopefully your friend) up from Finch around 5 pm, stay at gety for a while (probably no later than 9...need to wake up early for work on weekdays, so I can't stay out too late :(), then drop you off at Finch before going home to beat myself up over how awful I am at KOF now.  Sound good?

Also, I'll try to get another player to come along.  Unlikely to happen, but worth a shot *laughs* . 
hey man... alright 5pm sounds good... do you have a number or something so that i can contact you or something? i posted my number in my first post of this page... meeting up without a number might prove to be difficult...

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »
Yeah, 416-843-9286.  Thought I'd PM'ed it to you, but maybe I hadn't gotten past meaning to *laughs* .  Anyway, give me a call when you're at the station...hopefully I'll be waiting in the pick-up parking lot.
Old man/bad player

TSF

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 09:51:13 PM »
too bad i can't make it on sunday, but i will be there after 11 pm tonight

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 03:45:59 AM »
GGs to mastaroth today.  It was a pretty good time (at least when we weren't playing against people spamming wake-up DPs after every knockdown...even the AI played smarter than that *laughs* ).  Sure, we were both fumbling around for a while (especially myself...at least you put together some nice stuff with Ralf at the end), but it was still fun :).  Think I'm going to stick with using Leona instead of Duo, at least until I can get some training mode time with him.  Need to get more comfortable with timing hit confirms too, but hell, it's like my first extended period of playing any KOF in about eight years, so I guess I can't feel TOO bad about it, right? *laughs*
Old man/bad player

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 04:34:17 PM »
GGs to Omegaryuji... Yesterday was awesome... Finally got to try out XIII and man the game feels good...

A few things about the game feels kinda awkward... On a few characters the canceling feels like they need to be done too quick (like Duo) ...And on some characters (like Shen) buffering feels like they need to be timed just right...

I was using Clark, Ralf, Maxima... Well Ralf is just crazy... Very good normals, pressure, specials... EX DM rules... Best iteration of him in any KOF thus far... Clark has good normals... j.D isn't as OP as XI but it's still pretty good... Overall i see why he is low tier... Maxima is OP with auto-guard... LOL... I auto-guarded Shen's DM, K's shoryu etc...

@ Omegaryuji - ya Duo definitely feels awkward... WTF is up with his cancels... Leona on the other hand seems strong... I think you just gotta go there more often and get used to the controls... Then you'll definitely be able to pull off nasty combos with Liz and Shen...

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Yeah, definitely need to spend more time just getting used to the game.  Don't think I landed one proper juggle with Liz or Shen in a match (maybe not even in training mode *laughs* ).  Got close a couple of times but kept screwing up connecting their DMs (if not earlier *laughs* ).  Probably going to stick with Liz/Leona/Shen for a while...good to have at least one character I'm familiar with from past KOFs, and Liz/Shen can do some good stuff even without really being comfortable with them yet.  Wondering if I should explore Iori more, though, since he might fit in better than Shen (doesn't seem to need as much meter, which means more V-slasher and EX moon slasher for Leona...so nice to actually have a real reversal option with her instead of just tk'ed V-slasher for a change :) ), but they both seem to be about equally good, so might as well commit to one.  Plus Shen has a cooler outfit and SHEN WOO PUNCH and SHEN WOO GOES SSJ are so hype.

And I think it was Shen that kept stuffing your Neomax attempts with Clark, so he deserves some reward for that *laughs*
Old man/bad player

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 07:13:35 PM »
LMAO... ya i will NEVER do Clark's NM ever again... first of all it's a waste of meter... secondly i THOUGHT :( it has invincibility... but NO... it's neither invincible nor it is a grab... so it's terrible... i'm better off doing DC combos with him if i want to spend meter... i rather use b~f+AC which has invincibility... i figure i could do b~f+AC, b~f+C, DC, EX Volcan Punch, b~f+C, DC, EX Volcan Punch, b~f+C, dp+C and it should do about the same or more damage than doing his worthless NM...

and ya Iori and Shen both do low damage without meter, but high damage with meter... but even with no meter or 1 meter Iori has a LOT more options then Shen does... Shen is really scary as an anchor character with tons of meter... but Iori is scary even with just 1 meter...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:23:43 PM by t3h mAsTarOth...! »

SC 1-5 - Astaroth