Author Topic: [NORCAL] KOF XIII Ranking Battles @ Southtown Arcade | July 10th 2011  (Read 12998 times)

tsubasa

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: [NORCAL] KOF XIII Ranking Battles @ Southtown Arcade | July 10th 2011
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 10:20:19 PM »
I guess Demoninja covered it.  To give a simple example, imagine a 4-person single elim bracket.  Mind you, this would never happen cause with 4 people, you'd probably want to round robin, but this is for the sake of an example.  In the first round of eliminations, one guy is eliminated from the top of the bracket and one guy is from the bottom half.  There is no way to determine who gets 3rd and who gets 4th, so you say that they tie for 3rd.  This kind of thing always happens in single/double elim brackets.  There are placings that are always ties: 5th, 7th, 9th, 13th, 17th, 25th, 33rd, etc.  The only time you can determine a clear 1-8 is when you have people play sets to determine ties.  This generally only happens in round robins.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 01:16:56 AM »
The numerical rankings are based on win/lose ratios. How you did in the tournament determines your ranking in the event of a tie. For example, 4leaf had a better record than Fixel so he got 5th instead of 6th. That's why I took notes the entire tournament. I can tell you when you lost and to what character. When the rankings come up, I make comparisons in records to see who actually came in. Although it's completely asthetic, I don't entirely understand the harm in how I have it set up and how it differs from the other ranking battles being run at Southtown.

Do you all feel comfortable that way?

@Demoninja: Phonetically, the way you say your tag makes it into two words, which made me write it the way I believe it was spelled. I'm sorry. However, do you pronounce it DEMO - NINJA or DEMON-INJA or DEMON-NINJA? Just to be sure.

I changed the point standing to reflect the same concept. It makes no sense to say someone is 1st and another is 2nd when they have the same amount of points.

This I'm having trouble understanding is important. Why can't you say someone is tied for first or second? Why do you have to skip numbers? That just makes it very confusing. 

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:26:54 AM by Reiki.Kito »

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 01:44:09 AM »
The numerical rankings are based on win/lose ratios. How you did in the tournament determines your ranking in the event of a tie. For example, 4leaf had a better record than Fixel so he got 5th instead of 6th. That's why I took notes the entire tournament. I can tell you when you lost and to what character. When the rankings come up, I make comparisons in records to see who actually came in. Although it's completely asthetic, I don't entirely understand the harm in how I have it set up and how it differs from the other ranking battles being run at Southtown.

Do you all feel comfortable that way?

The way you're doing it is needlessly difficult and a lot of extra work for yourself. No other tournament does that either. Overall 4leaf and Fixel both won however many and they both lost twice therefore they should be ranked the same.

@Demoninja: Phonetically, the way you say your tag makes it into two words, which made me write it the way I believe it was spelled. I'm sorry. However, do you pronounce it DEMO - NINJA or DEMON-INJA or DEMON-NINJA? Just to be sure.

Dude I have no idea rofl. I'm heard the first two very often and the 3rd one quite a bit as well. However people usually don't call me the 3rd one when they see I have one N in my name.

I changed the point standing to reflect the same concept. It makes no sense to say someone is 1st and another is 2nd when they have the same amount of points.

This I'm having trouble understanding is important. Why can't you say someone is tied for first or second? Why do you have to skip numbers? That just makes it very confusing. 

The way I put it I have them tied for first since they have the same amount of points. Because there are two people tied for first that means there's no 2nd place so I skipped 2nd. One way you can do it is just put however many points people have and arrange it by that. It would bypass all the confusing ways people like to list standings.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 01:48:59 AM »
I'll probably do that. The reason I numbered it was just so that I didn't have a long list of similar variables, the points. I know overall they did about the same, but 4leaf managed to get to the last character while Fixel did not get to the last character. I've recorded that so I can see, without a shadow of a doubt, that 4leaf was 5th and Fixel was 6th. I feel that if I have the ability to do it and I can prove the standing for the tournament, it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

---
EDIT: All results have been posted for today's ranbat and points have been distributed.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:13:03 AM by Kane317 »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 06:13:44 AM »
Good stuff James, I'm glad to see different names up on the rankings as well.

I edited your post to avoid double posting as well.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 08:03:07 AM »
Ah, sorry. I was trying to alert everyone of the recent changes. Did not mean to bump for bump's sake. Thank you for the edit.

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2011, 09:30:01 AM »
Wait, so I lost all my points? Did Haunts put you up to this?! Ouch, James.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 09:33:42 AM »

Sorry, I was redoing the format because of some suggestions other people had made. Normally, I'd have just added names but I had to redo the entire current standings so I might have deleted you by mistake. I'll add you in this very minute.

Giby

• Strongest Tiger
  • Man Chest
    • View Profile
    • snk-capcom dot com
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2011, 11:22:57 AM »
Charex should be in 2nd, Duc in 3rd.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2011, 11:50:52 AM »
Charex should be in 2nd, Duc in 3rd.

Good eye, fixed.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2011, 03:12:53 AM »
Thanks you two!

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2011, 03:50:51 AM »
This maybe a little late, but those who rather watch YouTube versions than streams (especially since you can't use eLive.Pro with twitch.tv), the Ranbats where the SoCal guys went up are finally uploaded to YouTube.

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2011, 01:37:54 AM »
I know it's really late to mention this but rally mode is essentially tourney mode, one player presses start and both sides are auto started with infinite time to choose teams. After that just continue before the win quote screen goes away and the winner is stuck with their team or let it skip through to get a game over screen and then start the next set of people. Now no more test buttoning every time you want to get the next two players on. Other than that good stuff, I'm looking forward to seeing how much you guys improve. Gotta take down So-Cal next time (I say this as a player in So-Cal).

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2011, 09:23:44 AM »
The arcade does not seem to want to do that. I have suggested it, but they feel the way we're doing it now is the best way. I don't mind resetting the machine as I'm in front of it most of the time.

fixelzero

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2011, 10:36:37 AM »

Sorry, I was redoing the format because of some suggestions other people had made. Normally, I'd have just added names but I had to redo the entire current standings so I might have deleted you by mistake. I'll add you in this very minute.

hey James, while you are at it, I think I should have 5 points instead of 4. unless i'm missing something with the format here.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:42:25 AM by fixelzero »