The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/Vice
Vice is a intended to be primarily a grappler, with added solid hit confirms and poking tools. Ironically, she can stand her ground and play neutral very well, but struggles to get in and apply pressure to make full use of her command grabs.
- Easy low confirm to special (cr.B[x3], qcb+A, qcf+A)
- 1f command grab and slower invul command grab
- Super long pokes with good hitboxes and hurtboxes (st.B, st.C, st.CD, hcf+K)
- Good overhead option lets her mix up and win whole rounds without ever grabbing
- No reversal against wakeup jumpins
- Situational anti airs, no one move solution
- Very floaty jump hurts her pressure game
- All of her normals are negative on block, weakening her ability to do staggered re jump and re run offense
Changes from Previous Versions
98 to 98UM
- Hitbox on second hit of cl.D has been buffed, it now hits tiny crouchers and Chris's guarding stance
- qcb+K now has longer recovery, but you can cancel it at any time by pressing ABCD
- hcf+P now does less damage
- qcb+P now has longer startup invincibility
- qcb+C now has 2 frames less startup and 2 frames more recovery
- Added qcfx2+K, an anti-air grab DM
98UM to 98UMFE
- j.C's active frames have been lengthened from 4 to 8
- j.D's active frames have been lengthened from 5 to 8
- qcfx2+K now has invincibility until just after the throw hitbox appears
- cl.A: Same as st.A.
- cl.B: Chainable and cancelable.
- cl.C: Has relatively poor reach and lots of pushback, making it difficult to use in BnBs. Cancelable.
- cl.D: Two-hitting normal, making it very easy to hit-confirm into anything by itself. Can also be used as a makeshift anti-air. Cancelable on the second hit only.
- st.A: Good speed and reach. Nice anti-air against hops. Chainable and cancelable.
- st.B: Longer-range poke.
- st.C: Another long-ranged poke. Preferred over st.B because of its better hitstun, startup, and damage.
- st.D: Can used as an anti-air poke, but it's a little slow.
- cr.A: Chainable and cancelable on hit, block, and whiff.
- cr.B: Standard low combo starter. Chainable and cancelable on hit, block, and whiff.
- cr.C: Moderately good anti-air if used early enough. Cancelable on hit, block, and whiff. Can also be kara-canceled.
- cr.D: Sweeps the opponent. Cancelable on hit, block, and whiff. Can also be kara-canceled.
- j.A: Jump-in. Cancelable.
- j.B: Good meaty and instant overhead.
- j.C: Jump-in, very active. Cancelable.
- j.D: Air-to-air.
- st.CD: Has good range, much like her st.C, except it comes out slower. Cancelable on hit, block, and whiff.
- j.CD: Comes out fast, making it a good air-to-air when used early.
- Regular throw, techable. Vice grabs the opponent then scratches them, simple stuff.
- Regular throw, techable. Vice grabs the opponent, then tosses them behind her. Switches sides. Good for setting up meaty jump-ins.
- Vice hits the opponent over the head. Overhead when used raw, cancelable mid when canceled into. Good for combos and blockstrings.
- However, when late-canceled into, it acts like the raw version, allowing you to surprise the opponent with an overhead in pressure.
- Hard knockdown when done to opponents in the air.
- Vice grabs her opponent then rushes forward, dragging them across the ground before throwing them into the air.
- Fast command grab with lots of damage and corner carry.
- Vice does a quick swipe attack with her hand, throwing the opponent to the other side of the screen. Switches sides.
- B version can combo from strong attacks and f+A, the D version has more range but is too slow to combo.
- Can grab jumping opponents, but only when they are close to the ground.
- A very fast shoulder tackle.
- A version combos from just about everything except her command normal, making it good for conversions from lights. It's also safer on block. The C version does more damage and goes further.
- Mithan's Robe:
qcf+A/C (during qcb+P)
- Follow-up jumping grab for additional damage.
- Input the command as soon as the the shoulder hits, but only if the shoulder hits, otherwise she'll jump into the air completely missing the opponent and opening herself up to a huge punish.
- Command grab with some invincible startup, making it a good reversal on a read or a nice way to bait opponents.
- Mithan's Robe:
- Same as the followup to qcb+P, except obviously you can't whiff this one on block and you also need to input it slightly before the opponent is thrown into the air.
- Vice does a fast barrage of razor-sharp kicks.
- B version combos from lights and does 4 hits, but also pushes her hitbox back after about the 3rd hit.
- D version makes her hop forward, then do the attack for 10 hits, but it's also not as fast or safe as the weak version because of the hop.
- Both versions can be canceled after the first hit by pressing ABCD.
qcb+B/D (in air)
- An air variant of qcb+K. Can be combo-ed into from cancelable air normals.
- Vice leaps forward to command grab the opponent and slams them into the ground repeatedly.
- A version goes halfscreen but the jump she does is high. It can be used to punish slow projectiles from midscreen.
- C version make her do a lower/faster jump and she goes about 90% of the screen.
- Both the A and C versions do 3 hits, and she is completely invincible during the forward leap.
- MAX version follows the same trajectory as the C version, but does more hits and damage.
- Instant command grab. Vice grabs her opponent and does three frankensteiners in a row.
- Combos from just about all of her normals.
- Vice's main combo DM.
- MAX version does five frankensteiners and more damage.
- Anti-air version of qcfx2+P that only hits airborne opponents.
- In most cases, jumping in on Vice usually isn't an issue, but because she has this DM she can be a major threat and is more likely to keep her opponents grounded and close, which allows for more chances to catch them with her grounded options and command grabs.
- MAX version does more hits and damage.
- In any metered combo, you can replace hcbx2+K with hcbx2+BD for more damage if you have the resources.
cr.B×N, qcb+A > qcf+P
cr.B, cl.B, hcb,f+P
(j.X), cl.D, hcb,f+P
cl.D, f+A, hcf+K
- Standing combo into hcf+K, switches sides.
cl.D, f+A, qcb+C > qcf+P
cr.B, cl.B, hcbx2+K
- You can do this as cr.B, hcb,f+B, hcb+K for an easier cancel.
(j.X), cl.D, hcbx2+K
f+A, AB, A/B/C/D, hcf+B
f+A, AB, A/B/C/D, qcb+C > qcf+P
- Quick dodge combos from overhead.
With Quick MAX
cr.B, cr.A, ABC, cl.D, hcbx2+K
- For cl.D to connect, you need to do a microwalk after the Quick MAX activation. Easy to hit-confirm thanks to cl.D being two hits.
cr.B, cr.A, ABC, cl.D(1), AB, A/B/C/D, hcbx2+K
- Similar to previous combo, you need a microwalk after quick max. Does more damage
- To make the dodge attack -> hcbx2+K cancel easier, after AB you can do hcb+A/B/C/D for the dodge attack then do hcb+K to cancel into the super.
- A: Black/Red
- AB: Black/White (Mature Color)
- B: Green/Light Green
- BC: Wine Red/Pink
- C: Red/White
- CD: Brown/Pale Green
- D: Black/Orange
- AD: Pale Blue/Blue