The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/EX Robert
Ex Robert is a well rounded character with some good space control tools. For long distance he has a high flying fireball and for the mid range he has a nice assortment of buttons to control space and keep the opponent out. Up close he has access to nice confirms, a good overhead and some good corner pressure. to round out his kit he has a good dp for anti airs and reversals and a kicking move that will vacuum the opponent in and can catch jumps or pokes. his main weakness is that he lacks really scary mixups.
Changes from previous versions
98 to 98UM
- far Cs active frames is 6f shorter, recovery is 6f longer
- j.As hitbox got moved upwards reducing it's downwards priority
- j.Ds priority reduced
- f+A got 2 more active frames
- hcb+B has 5 frames less recovery
- hcb+D has 7 frames less startup so it can connect from lights
- fbf+K causes a juggle state
- dp+C now launches on first hit making it a stable combo tool.
- f,hcf+P has 4 frames faster startup and 1 frame less recovery. Weak version now combos from heavy normals
- qcf,hcb+AC has less startup frames so you can combo it from f+B
98UM to 98UMFE
- Standing CD longer reach
- f+A Hitbox has been lengthened
- air qcb+K recovery after landing has been reduced by 4 frames for the B version and by 3 frames for the D version
- hcb+B Can juggle after it connects
- hcb,f+P C and MAX versions have faster startup
- MAX qcf,hcb+P Invincibility is 10 frames longer
- cl. A: Good for stopping hops. Whiffs on low crouchers. Chainable. Not cancelable.
- cl. B: A standing low move. It's good for some mixups when combined with his f+A and prox unblockable. Not chainable. Cancelable.
- cl. C: a fairly standard cl.C. Comes out fast so good for combos and meaties. Cancelable.
- cl. D: Has two hits one that goes upwards and then one downwards. Safe on block so can be used to push people out. Not cancelable.
- st. A: same as cl.A
- st. B: a decent poke but not useful for much else. Not cancelable.
- st. C: a fast poke with good range . Excellent for stopping hops. Whiffs on low crouchers. Not cancelable.
- st. D: a fairly slow far ranged poke with nice priority. whiffs on tiny crouchers. Not cancelable.
- cr. A: Has short range for a cr.A. Outclassed by cr.B in nearly all aspects with the exception that cr.A will cancel into command normals. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cr. B: Your main low poke and combo tool. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cr. C: Has two hits, the first hits in front of him and the second above him. The first part can be a good ground poke and the second an anti air. Cancelable.
- cr. D: average speed for a sweep with good range. Cancelable on whiff and contact.
- j. A: Fast normal with good reach, nice priority and a lot of active frames. Can work both for air to airs and as a jumpin. Not cancelable.
- j. B: Roberts only crossup so good to use for that. Can also work as a regular jumpin but j.D is a better tool for that. Cancelable.
- j. C: Similar to j.A but trades some priority for the added hitstun of a jumping heavy.
- j. D: Roberts main jumpin normal as it has a nice hitbox around his foot. Cancelable.
- st. CD: long ranged poke. good to use as a whiff cancelling tool.
- j. CD: excellent air to air with a lot of horizontal reach. Hard to hit on grounded opponents as it will completely whiff on low crouchers.
Kick of the Dragon: b/f + C
- regular throw, techable. Robert flips backwards sending the opponent flying back 80% of the screen causing a soft knockdown.
Decapitating Drop: b/f + D
- Regular throw, techable. Robert grabs the opponent and slams them behind him sending them 90% of the screen away. Causes a backturned hard knockdown.
Soaring Dragon Kick: f + B
- good to use in combos and the occasional blockstring.
- very punishable on block if not cancelled.
Dragon-felling Kick: f + A
- an overhead move, but loses its property when cancelled from a normal move.
- safe on block when done raw.
- useful for combos and pressure in the corner.
- good to late cancel into as a mixup.
- also good as a midscreen poke.
Lightning Legs Knockout Kick: hcb + B/D
- Robert does a leaping kick. B version starts up slower and does one hit. D version does two hits.
- B version is safe on block when properly spaced.
- D version is unsafe on block.
- B version causes a juggleable state on hit.
- D version will combo from lights.
Dragon Blast Punch: qcf + A/C
- This is a fully moving projectile unlike his OG98 version thats just a close range blast.
- travels high in the air so it can be low profiled.
- Whiffs on low crouchers.
- good to use for zoning and to end blockstrings with.
Ryuga: dp + A/C
- Roberts dp move. A version only has 1 frame of invincibility and C version has invincibility during all of the startup and first active frame.
- A version comes out fast and travels pretty high upwards so it functions as a good anti air.
- C version does two hits and functions as your reversal and an anti air as well since it travels even higher than the A version.
- C version is a nice combo tool from lights.
Flying Dragon Kick (In Air Only): qcb + B/D
- an aerial dive kick. B version comes out at a steeper angle while D version comes out at a shallower one.
- good tool for changing up your jumping arc and momentum to throw peoples anti air attempts off.
- good combo and pressure tool in the corner when cancelled out of f+A as Robert is + on block after it in this situation.
- generally safe on block unless it hit very high up on a standing opponent.
Great Spirit Kick: f, b, f + B/D
- a multihitting kick in place. On hit both versions are the same but on block and whiff D version stays out longer.
- causes a juggleable state after the last kick.
- unsafe on block or whiff.
- Good to combo into from heavy buttons.
- the kicks he delivers have good priority so it can be hard to beat out from the front.
Haoh Shokou Ken: f,hcf + A/C
- a giant fireball. A version travels slower than C version.
- Can be used as anti air or anti fireball move
- C version can be used in combos.
Ryuko Ranbu: qcf,hcb + B/D
- a classic Ranbu attack.
- Best used in combos as it does good damage.
- has no invincibility which limits its usefulness in neutral and as an anti air since it's prone to trading.
- on block some of the hits will whiff on short crouchers making it deal less blockstun.
Muei Senpuu Juudan Kyaku: qcf,qcf + B/D (can also be done in the air)
- another combo super that does a series of kicks that ends in a backflip kick.
- mostly useful as a super combo from lights as his Ranbu is too slow to combo from them.
- this super can also be done in the air and can be useful as a surprise attack occasionally.
- Simple low confirm combo. dp+C does slightly more damage but hcb+D has better corner carry.
(j.X), cl.C, f+B, hcb+D:
(j.X), cl.C, f+B, hcb+B, dp+C:
- Heavy starter combo to use close to the corner.
- You can replace qcf,hcb+P with qcf,hcb+AC for more damage if you have 3 stocks in Advanced Mode.
(j.X), cl.C, f+B, qcf,hcb+P:
With Quick Max
(j.X), cl.C, f,b,f+K, ABC, f+B, f,b,f+K, dp+C:
- A quickmax combo that works close to the corner
j.CD (CH), f,b,f+K, ABC, f+B, f,b,f+K, dp+C:
- Counter-hit j.CD quick max combo at the corner.
(j.X), cl.C, f,b,f+K, ABC, f+B, f,hcf+P/qcf,hcb+P: