The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/EX Terry
Ex Terry character that has some tools for every distance like a fireball for long distances and solid pokes for the mid range but close up is where he shines. He has great confirms from both lows and jumpins, has some frametraps, true blockstrings and good combo damage. One of his best aspects is that he can go into the same strings on hit or block. In extra mode he also gets access to some very damaging quick max combos that makes him a lot scarier. His weaknesses include fairly weak anti airing options and a lack of mixups outside of the general kof tools.
Changes from previous versions
98 to 98UM
- Shorter activation range of cl.D
- st.Ds priority reduced
- full jump j.D has less downwards priority, this means that you can no longer use it to instant overhead on regular height crouchers. Hop D still works for instant overheads though.
- qcf+P got 5 frames reduced recovery
- d~u+p now has some throw invincibility on startup
- hcf+B got reduced damage by 5 points
- hcf+D got reduced damage by 6 points
- dp+P got added as a new move, it is special cancelable on hit or block
- qcb,db,f+Ps hit effect is now the one from Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
- Third hit of qcb,db,f+AC got its hitbox increased behind it
- now all hits of qcb,db,f+AC now connects even at the edge of the screen, it will drop if used all the way in the corner though.
98UM to 98UMFE
- st.B increased damage from 5 to 6 points
- qcb+Ds recovery reduced by 3 frames
- qcb+Ds hitbox extended downwards, it can now hit short crouchers
- hcf+K is now cancelable into any other special than another hcf+K
- qcf+C now builds less meter
- d~u+C now has extra invincibility
- qcb,db,f+P now has 8 frames faster startup but it no longer has invincibility after the super flash.
- cl. A: a standard cl.A. Whiffs on short crouchers. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cl. B: will hit all crouchers. Not chainable. Cancelable.
- cl. C: two hitting cl.C. Good to use in combos as both hits are cancelable making it easy to confirm from. Cancelable.
- cl. D: larger activation range than cl.C but only does 1 hit. Has a lot of active frames so good as a meaty. Cancelable.
- st. A: standard jab. Good for stopping hops. Whiffs on regular crouchers. Chainable. Cancelable.
- st. B: good far reaching mid range poke. Not chainable. Not cancelable.
- st. C: Whiffs on low crouchers. Comes out ata nice height for stopping hops. Not cancelable.
- st. D: slow startup and recovery. Long range. Not cancelable.
- cr. A: standard crouching jab. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cr. B: Terry's main low confirm option. Chainable. Not cancelable.
- cr. C: fairly fast, nice range and comboable. Cancelable on whiff and contact.
- cr. D: a long range sweep with fairly long startup. decent for midrange poking when cancelled. Cancelable on whiff and contact.
- j. A: nice priority for air to airs. Can also be used as a jumpin.
- j. B: mostly good as an air to air. whiffs on regular crouchers.
- j. C: decent jumpin. Can crossup.
- j. D: his most used jumpin and a great multi purpose tool. its good as an air to air and as a jumpin. It can also crossup and instant overhead on regular height crouchers.
- st. CD: slow attack with a lot of startup. Has a lot of low invulnerability. Cancelable on whiff and contact.
- j. CD: great jumpin for pressure due to it's downwards angle.
Grasping Upper: (close) b/f + C
- regular throw, techable. Terry grabs the opponent and uppercuts them sending them almost full screen away causing a soft knockdown.
Buster Throw: (close) b/f + D
- regular throw, techable. Terry slams the opponent to the ground behind him sending them almost full screen away causing a backturned hard knockdown.
Back Knuckle: F + A
- two hitting move for combos and blockstrings.
- The second hit can whiff if there's too much pushback before the f+A
- only the second hit is cancelable.
Rising Upper: df + C
- has two hitboxes, the first on in front of him and the second on diagonally above him.
- the second hitbox can function as an anti air, and this is important because terry lacks a good anti air move among his normals.
- good to use in combos that starts with lights as f+A won't combo from them.
Burning Knuckles: qcb + A/C
- a dash punch. A version goes a short distance and C version goes full screen.
- A version is a good pressure tool as it's safe when properly spaced out, works as a preemptive anti air to catch jumpouts and has a good hitbox to catch pokes.
- C version is safe from full screen away and can be used as a way to get in, but use it sparingly it's easy to in a multitude of ways.
- Can be low profiled and then punished by some moves.
Power Wave: qcf + A/C
- a grounded projectile. A version travels slower than the C version.
- good zoning and pressure tool as it's safe on block.
- can be hopped over.
- has a deadzone right in front of Terry.
- Moves with low invulnerability can go through the projectile.
Round Wave: dp + A/C
- a close ranged energy wave.
- on block it's special and super cancelable so you can cancel out of it for pressure or combos.
- long startup and recovery, it is not whiff cancelable so on whiff it is very punishable.
- also very punishable on block and hit if you don't cancel it into anything.
Crack Shot: qcb + B/D
- a arching kick. B version travels shorter and lower down than the C version.
- B version is a good preemptive anti air and can be fairly safe on block.
- B version Will whiff on short crouchers
- D version takes longer to come out but is + on block.
- as an anti air D version hits higher up than B version.
- only the last hit of D version will hit short crouchers.
Fire Kick:hcf + B/D
- a sliding kick with two hits that hits low.
- the first hit of the sliding kick is special cancelable which means you can make some true blockstrings and frame traps when combined with his other specials.
- the second hit is only cancelable into his rising tackle.
- good move to cancel into both as a combo and on block as it has a lot of reach and comes out fast so you can combo even from further distances.
- unsafe on block unless the first hit is cancelled into qcf+A or qcb+B.
- when not cancelled it causes a juggleable state so you can do a j.D for a reset. if you just let the opponent fall it causes a soft knockdown.
Rising Tackle: d~u + A/C
- a big upwards travelling spinning kick. B version goes a shorter distance but comes out faster.
- B version has startup invincibility and can be used as a fast anti air.
- D version has startup + some active frame invincibility making it a good reversal.
- unsafe on block or whiff.
- Causes soft knockdown.
Power Geyser:: qcb, db, f + A/C
- a large energy wave in front of Terry.
- has a large range upwards and in front of Terry so it works great as an anti air.
- its large range also makes it easy to combo into from all of his super cancelable tools.
- has full startup invulnerability but none on the active frames so it can trade.
- causes soft knockdown.
- the Max version does 3 big power geysers in a row, each appearing in front of the last.
- does more damage but the last hit can whiff if the move was done too close to the corner.
- causes soft knockdown.
- cr.B cr.A cr.A df+C hcf+K d~u+C/ j.D
low confirm combo. the rising tackle finisher is for max damage and the j.D is for a reset.
- cr.B cr.A cr.A df+C qcbf+P
low confirm into super.
- (j.X) cl.C f+A hcf+K d~u+C/j.D
standard combo from a jumpin or a heavy starter. on a jumpin you need to go into f+A on the first hit of cl.C for the combo to work.
- (j.X) cl.C f+A qcb,f+P
simple super combo from a jumpin or heavy.
- cr.B cr.A cr.A df+C hcf+K ABC qcb,f+P
Low confirm into a extra mode quick max that allows a super to connect after the second hit of hcf+K
- (j.X) cl.C df+C hcf+K(1) qcb+D ABC cr.A df+C qcb,f+P
A quick max combo that works on standing opponents only as the qcb+D will whiff on crouchers. on a crossup starter you can replace the later cr.A with a cl.D for more damage.