The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/Robert Garcia
Robert is an offensive character with long reach. Robert is at his deadliest when he locks the opponent in the corner where he gets to run strong pressure and mixups on the opponent. His long reach helps him control the neutral and score hits that will push the opponent towards the corner. Once he has them there he can mix them up with lows, a great overhead and a prox unblockable. He can also safely pressure the opponent with moves like hcb+B and j.qcb+B. His weakness is his lack of long range tools but other than that he is very well rounded.
- cl. A: Good for stopping hops. Whiffs on low crouchers. Chainable. Not cancelable.
- cl. B: A standing low move. It's good for some mixups when combined with his f+A and prox unblockable. Not chainable. Cancelable.
- cl. C: a fairly standard cl.C. Comes out fast so good for combos and meaties. Cancelable.
- cl. D: Has two hits one that goes upwards and then one downwards. Safe on block so can be used to push people out. Not cancelable.
- st. A: same as cl.A
- st. B: a decent poke but not useful for much else. Not cancelable.
- st. C: a fast poke with good range . Excellent for stopping hops. Whiffs on low crouchers. Not cancelable.
- st. D: a fairly slow far ranged poke with nice priority. whiffs on tiny crouchers. Not cancelable.
- cr. A: Has short range for a cr.A. Outclassed by cr.B in nearly all aspects with the exception that cr.A will cancel into command normals. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cr. B: Your main low poke and combo tool. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cr. C: Has two hits, the first hits in front of him and the second above him. The first part can be a good ground poke and the second an anti air. Cancelable.
- cr. D: average speed for a sweep with good range. Cancelable on whiff and contact.
- j. A: Fast normal with good reach, nice priority and a lot of active frames. Can work both for air to airs and as a jumpin. Not cancelable.
- j. B: Roberts only crossup so good to use for that. Can also work as a regular jumpin but j.D is a better tool for that. Cancelable.
- j. C: Similar to j.A but trades some priority for the added hitstun of a jumping heavy.
- j. D: Roberts main jumpin normal as it has a nice hitbox around his foot. Cancelable.
- st. CD: long ranged poke. good to use as a whiff cancelling tool.
- j. CD: excellent air to air with a lot of horizontal reach. Hard to hit on grounded opponents as it will completely whiff on low crouchers.
Ryuuchou Kyaku: b/f+C (close)
- regular throw, techable. Robert flips backwards sending the opponent flying back 80% of the screen causing a soft knockdown.
Kubikiri Nage: b/f+D (close)
- Regular throw, techable. Robert grabs the opponent and slams them behind him sending them 90% of the screen away. Causes a backturned hard knockdown.
Kouryuu Koukyaku Geri: F+A
- an overhead move, but loses its property when cancelled from a normal move.
- useful for combos and pressure in the corner.
- good to late cancel into as a mixup.
- also good as a midscreen poke.
Ryuu Hanshuu: F+B
- good to use in combos and the occasional blockstring.
- very punishable on block if not cancelled.
Ryuu-Geki Ken: qcf + A/C
- a static projectile in front of robert that stays out for a long time.
- A C version stays out for longer than the A version.
- A version can be used to end blockstrings with for relative safety.
- good to use to catch forward movement, especially forward rolls because of all the active frames this move has.
- not really useful for zoning as it it slow to come out, has short range and is easily beaten and punished if the opponent doesn't get hit by it.
Ryuuga: dp + A/C
- Roberts dp move. A version only has 1 frame of invincibility and C version has invincibility during all of the startup and first active frame.
- A version comes out fast and travels pretty high upwards so it functions as a good anti air.
- C version does two hits and functions as your reversal and an anti air as well since it travels even higher than the A version.
- C version is a nice combo tool from lights.
Ryuu Zanshou: dp + B/D
- a backflip kick that does 4 hits. B version comes out faster and recovers faster than D version but has less reach.
- Both versions have a bit of startup invincibility.
- Can be used as anti air due to its good reach, though it does not have good priority so it can be prone to trading.
- can be tricky to punish on block because of the distance Robert creates between him and the opponent with the backflip.
- on contact you can cancel the move into his j.qcb+K when he's falling after the kicks.
Kyokugen-ryuu Renbu Kyaku: hcf + B/D (close)
- a proximity unblockable throw, you can juggle them with special move of your choice, or an hyper hopped j.D for an air reset.
- can be combo'd into and be used as a mixup tool.
- has a bit of startup invincibility but it disappears well before the active frames start.
- fairly slow startup so the opponent needs to be committed to blocking for this to land and not get beaten out.
Hien Ryuujin Kyaku: qcb + B/D (in the air)
- an aerial dive kick. B version comes out at a steeper angle while D version comes out at a shallower one.
- good tool for changing up your jumping arc and momentum to throw peoples anti air attempts off.
- good combo and pressure tool in the corner when cancelled out of f+A as Robert is + on block after it in this situation.
- generally safe on block unless it hit very high up on a standing opponent.
Hien Senpuu Kyaku: hcb + B/D
- a series of flying kicks. B version travels shorter than the D version.
- B version is safe on block at -2 with enough pushback to avoid 1f grabs making it an excellent pressure tool.
- Though it is safe on block it is also very susceptible to guard cancel rolls.
- D version travels further but is a bit worse on block so it's not as useful.
Haoh Shokou Ken: f,hcf + A/C
- a giant fireball. A version travels slower than C version.
- Can be used as anti air or anti fireball move
- C version can be used in combos.
Ryuko Ranbu: qcf,hcb + B/D
- a classic Ranbu attack.
- Best used in combos as it does good damage.
- has no invincibility which limits its usefulness in neutral and as an anti air since it's prone to trading.
- on block some of the hits will whiff on short crouchers making it deal less blockstun.
Muei Senpuu Juudan Kyaku: qcf,qcf + B/D (can also be done in the air)
- another combo super that does a series of kicks that ends in a backflip kick.
- mostly useful as a super combo from lights as his Ranbu is too slow to combo from them.
- this super can also be done in the air and can be useful as a surprise attack occasionally.
- cr.B cr.B hcf+K/dp+C/qcfqcf+B
Your main light confirm
- cl.C f+B dp+C
a meterless combo from a heavy starter. after a jumpin the dp+C will whiff.
- (j.X) cl.C f+B qcf,hcb+A
a metered combo from a heavy hit or jumpin
- (j.X) cl.C f+A qcb+B/qcfx2+K
corner specific combo.