This dark arms merchant of death once ruled the world’s black market, and was never shy about digging his fangs into any fighter that dared challenge him. Through the power of Orochi, he was given life once again, until a group of fierce fighters brought his reign to an end. Now, due to Verse’s influence, he’s returned to the mortal realm to extract vengeance.
(*) = EX OK
(!) = MAX OK
(Midair Only) = Can only be done in the air.
(Air OK) = Can be done both on the ground and in the air.
Scorpion Deathlock - / +
Scorpion Deathblow - / +
Double Tomahawk - / +
Dark Barrier - + / (*)
Genocide Cutter - + / (*)
Vanishing Rush - + / (*)
Reppuu Ken - + / (*)
Violent Ray - + / (*)
Super Special Moves
Gigantic Pressure - + / (!)
Desperate Ray - + / (!)
Climax Super Special Moves
Dread Fatal Wave - +
Quick Combo Reference
((2B > 2A)/(cl.C) > 4/6B > 623D = 213/240 dmg
(2B > 2B > 5B > 214A = 153 dmg
((2B > 2A)/(cl.C) > 4/6B > 236BD, 214AC, cl.D > 623D = 374/409 dmg
((2B > 2A)/(cl.C) > 4/6B > 236BD, dash, 236A, cl.D > 214BD, 236A, 623D = 414/468 dmg
((2B > 2A)/(cl.C) > 4/6B > 236BD, 214AC, cl.D > 236C > 2363214A/C = 445/485 dmg
((2B > 2A)/(cl.C) > 4/6B > 236BD, dash, 236A, cl.D > 214AC, 236B > 236236B/D, 623D = 539/600 dmg
Rugal is a defensive character who excels at punishing bad approaches.
- Strong Normals: Has several great pokes that help him control space from afar, while certain plus-on-block close normals help him keep the heat on up close.
- Good Pressure: Several strong jump-ins, good low pokes, good blockstrings and a fast sweep make it difficult to contest Rugal when he's at close range.
- Defense: A projectile reflector, two fireballs and one of the best DPs in the game make Rugal hard to approach at midscreen.
- Meter Burn: Rugal's EX specials all provide him with great combo opportunities. Cancelling into Gigantic Pressure allows him to immediately end neutral and drag you to the corner, while Desperation Ray is a great combo ender and punish tool. His 0.5/1 meter damage is also very good.
- Annoying Midrange: The excellent defense tools that Rugal has combined with his beefy normals make him very difficult to deal with at close range. Opponents will often have to commit to riskier options to get past him.
- Meter Efficiency: Rugal's specials all generate copious amounts of meter, with Genocide Cutter generating nearly a fourth of a bar alone. If he gets a solid starter, it's likely that much of the meter he spent will be refunded.
- Combo Availability: Without meter or close range, Rugal becomes a lot less threatening. His 214AC and 236BD are major tools for dealing big damage, but a 2B hit that isn't close enough to chain into 2A and 6B will deny Rugal the option to use these EX moves. His meterless/mid-range damage isn't terrible, but it isn't very good either.
- Slow: While Rugal often has good options for punishing his opponents and keeping on the pressure, he's also very slow and can be punished by reactive opponents. He wants opponents to come to him, meaning if the opponent gets a life lead it can be difficult for Rugal to mount a comeback.
- Overly Deliberate: Rugal's options are very direct. While he has options for most situations, he does not necessarily have many options that cover multiple things at once, not without heavy risk to himself. This means Rugal plays a very different game than most characters at the pure baseline, which can result in him missing out on opportunities that other characters get without much effort.
- Abysmal Corner Carry: Rugal has a hard choice, all the corner carry for 1 bar, or none for any. As such, despite Rugal wanting to put characters in the corner, his average corner carry is among, if not the worst in the game. Most other times, he has to spend twice the meter for the same thing other characters get off a bnb. This means as a defensive character, Rugal needs to slowly push his aopponent as if he is a slowly approaching wall, and he has a very low mistake allowance on this.
One of the most legendary fighting game bosses of all time finally makes his return! Omega Rugal is a solid midrange defensive character with a suite of strong normals and specials. Rugal excels at the midrange poking game, with great normals like f.A, f.C, 2B, 2D and an incredible jump CD. He has generous hit-confirms windows off of 6B, cl.D and cl.C, which he can use to combo into a number of powerful special moves. If Rugal has meter, he can burn it to go into one of several wonderful EX special moves that give him ample opportunities for comboing midscreen and in the corner. His best feature is his defensive play: Rugal has two fireballs that cover different angles, a fullscreen laser super that can be used as a punish, a reflector for returning projectiles in fireball wars, and one of the best DPs in the game with an EX version that sends people completely fullscreen. And if people somehow get past all of that, he also has a rushing hit-grab super that drags his unfortunate foes all the way to the corner on hit. This combined with his poking normals can make him very hard to approach, especially if the Rugal player varies up their options consistently. Rugal's two biggest weaknesses are speed and general holes in his gameplan. While Rugal's options are all pretty solid, they tend to be quite slow and committal, or downright weird. This makes him susceptible to being counterpoked quite a bit, and he will require a bit more labbing than other characters just to figure out what move to use where in what situation. This becomes worse when taking his lack of many ways to burst approach or his lack of a good lariat/sobat, which heavily affects his zoning game as well. Though he wants to establish pressure, getting to that point requires playing Rugal in an incredibly bizarre way that has very little room for error. Overall, Rugal is a solid pick for someone who seeks a specialist character with little need for team specialization. His high reward off of solid neutral control, fantastic meter gain, and good pressure up close make him a viable pick for any position on any team, but his specificity also dictates that you must know him in and out in order to get any use.
Far Standing Normals
Close Standing Normals
Neutral Jump B
Super Special Moves
Climax Super Special Moves
Dread Fatal Wave