The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/Blue Mary
Blue Mary is a well rounded character that leans more towards offense as she has a large bag of mixups. In neutral she has access to some good pokes to keep the opponent from going in and some special moves that moves her forward so she can get into mixup range. Once she is in mixup range she can pressure the opponent with her good jumpins and low chains or mix them up with her 1f command grab, overhead or jumping grab. Her main weakness is that a lot of her moves are punishable on block.
Format for Normals section. Be sure to add bullet points for multiple moves having a property (e.g. j. B/D cross-up; st/cr. A/B/C/D are whiff/cancelable). REMOVE AFTER WRITING IN
- cl. A: fast startup and + on block. whiffs on short crouchers. Not chainable. Cancelable.
- cl. B: short ranged normal with good frame advantage. Can combo into cl.C with a 1f link. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cl. C: two hitting close normal. good to use in combos since it deals good damage and both hits are cancelable. Safe on block. Cancelable.
- cl. D: two hitting close normal. has a lot of startup and is less safe than cl.C so this one doesn't have much use. cancelable.
- st. A: fairly short range but it can be used to stop some hops. whiffs on short crouchers. Chainable. Not cancelable.
- st. B: great poke with fast startup, good range, nice active frames and good recovery. Whiffs on tiny crouchers. Not chainable. Not cancelable.
- st. C: long ranged poke with a lot of startup and recovery making it unsafe on whiff. Kinda hard to punish on block because of the pushback. not cancelable.
- st. D: slow poke with a lot of recovery. but it has a lot of low invincibility. Not cancelable.
- cr. A: a crouching jab with fairly short reach. Kinda bad on block at -3. good combo tool after cr.Bs. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cr. B: her main low combo starter. has good reach. Shrinks her hurtbox quite a lot. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cr. C: moves her forward a little bit. Has a lot of recovery making it very punishable. can be used in combos from ranges cl.C would whiff. Cancelable on whiff and contact.
- cr. D: long reach but has kinda long recovery making it unsafe on block and whiff. Shrinks her hurtbox a lot so she can go under some flying projectiles with it. Not cancelable.
- j. A: decent jumpin attack with a lot of active frames.
- j. B: has long reach downwards making it another decent jumpin attack. It can also be used as an instant overhead.
- j. C: has a nice hitbox in front and slightly below Mary so this move can function as both an air to air and air to ground attack. Comes out fairly slow though.
- neutral j. C: great hitbox for air to airing as it has loads of priority in front of Mary.
- j. D: Marys best jumpin normal due to it's good speed, reach and damage. Can crossup. can be used as a instant overhead when used during a hyper hop.
- st. CD: good grounded poke that can be cancelled on whiff and on contact to make it safer or apply different mixups.
- j. CD: great air to air normal. Whiffs on low crouchers.
Victor Heave: (close) b/f + C
- regular throw, techable. Mary picks the opponent up and drops them behind her and then delivers a elbow strike. Sends the opponent half screen away behind Mary with a backturned hard knockdown.
Head Throw: (close) b/f + D
- regular throw, techable. Mary flings the opponent behind her full screen distance causing a soft knockdown.
Hammer Arch: f + A
- overhead when done raw, loses the overhead property when cancelled into.
- one of Marys primary mixup tools.
- punishable on block when done raw and when cancelled into.
- a staple in her combos as it combos after her heavy attacks and allows her to cancel into a special or super.
- gives hard knockdown when hitting an airborne opponent.
Climbing Arrow: df + B
- good anti air that hits high up.
- can be cancelled into dp on hit for a combo.
- shrinks her hurtbox so can low profile some jumpins.
- pops grounded opponents up for an aerial reset on hit.
Double Rolling: f + B
- a slow double kick. First hit has low invincibility but hits mid and second hit has no invincibility but hits low.
- unsafe on block and not cancelable so bad in combos as well.
- avoid using this move.
Spin Fall: qcf + B/D
- forward moving jumping kick. A version goes a shorter distance than the C version.
- will go over a good amount of grounded attacks so it's good to use as an approaching option.
- Safe on block -
- susceptible to anti airs.
M. Spider: qcf + A/C
- a jumping command grab. A version flies shorter and lower than the C version.
- very reactable and punishable if done raw and most of the time in any situation against good players.
- use it as an occasional mixup option.
- causes a backturned hard knockdown.
Straight Slicer: b~f + B/D
- a long range sliding kick. B version goes about half screen and D version goes almost full screen.
- can low profile a lot of mid height moves like pokes and some projectiles.
- It can also low profile jump in attacks so it functions as a good long range anti air as well.
- can combo from lights which gives her nice low confirms.
- it has a lot of active frames.
Crab Crunch: During Straight Slice hit, qcf + B/D
- a followup to the straight slicer. Mary grabs the opponent and breaks their leg.
- Always followup straight slicer with this since it only comes out on hit and nothing extra happens on block or whiff.
- causes a hard knockdown.
Vertical Arrow: dp + B/D
- a upwards travelling dp move. B version flies shorter than the D version.
- B version has faster startup than the C version.
- B version only has a bit of startup invincibility and D version has full startup invincibility that lasts until the 4th active frame
- B version can function as a fast anti air as it has a very good hitbox.
- D version functions as a reversal and as a late anti air.
- very unsafe on block and whiff.
M. Snatcher: During Vertical Arrow hit, dp + B/D
- a followup to her dp.
- always do this followup as it only comes out on hit and nothing extra happens on block or whiff.
- Causes a backturned hard knockdown.
Backdrop Real: (close) hcb, f + A/C
- a 1f command grab.
- good to use as a mixup tool and as a combo tool.
- also good as a fast punish tool against things that leaves the opponent point blank.
- very punishable on whiff.
- Causes soft knockdown.
M. Reverse Race Lock: qcb + B
- counters only high attacks-
- the counter is active on the second frame so excellent to use as a reactionary anti air.
- unsafe on whiff.
- causes a backturned hard knockdown.
M. Headbuster: qcb + D
- counters mid/low attacks
- Mary flings the opponent behind her leaving them in a juggleable state meaning you can combo after it with her dp+K, qcf,hcb+P super or a normal of your choice for a reset.
- unsafe on whiff.
M. Typhoon: (close) hcb, hcb + B/D
- a 1f command grab super.
- can be used in the same way as her hcb,f+P command grab but with more damage.
- Causes a hard knockdown.
- sends the opponent full screen away.
- Max damage just does more damage.
M. Splash Rose: qcf, hcb + A/C
- Mary travels forward fast and if it hits delivers a series of strikes.
- does less damage than her other supers and doesn't present many unique combo opportunities so this super isn't that useful.
- causes soft knockdown.
- Max damage does more hits and more damage
M. Dynamite Swing: qcf, qcf + B/D
- an invincible super that travels upwards a bit. If it hits Mary swings the opponent around and then throws them full screen.
- B version travels a shorter distance upwards and the throw hitbox after the first hit is shorter than the D version so using the D version is preferred.
- good as an anti air as it hits quite high up and has invincibility, though if it hits too high up the second hit can fail to combo.
- good to use as a reversal due to the invincibility it has.
- good to combo from lights with as her other supers won't combo from them.
- causes soft knockdown.
- Max version does more damage.
- cr.B cr.B cr.A b~f+B qcf+B
good meterless low confirm into a hard knockdown.
- cr.B cr.A qcfx2+D
simple low combo into super-
(j.X) cl.C f+A hcb,f+A/hcbx2+K
Your main jumpin and heavy button combo.
- st.B cl.C f+A hcb,f+P/hcbx2+K
a 1f link combo from a point blank st.B. Not very useful but it's there.
qcb+D run froward dp+K qcf+K/qcf,hcb+P/j.D reset
combo options after her mid counter.