The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/EX Billy
EX Billy is a midrange character that excels at zoning with his long-reaching normals and strong pokes. He has good anti-airing options, such as a long-reaching upwards pole attack and a anti-air DM to help with his zoning. In addition to this, Billy can also rush down to push the opponent back into the corner, where his pressure is strong and he has access to some highly damaging combos. Billy also has access to some mixups in the form of lows, an overhead, and an untechable throw. Billy has a fairly unique weakness in that most of his long pokes have very bad priority, where the hurtbox extends further out than the hitbox, meaning he can get hit from further ranges than most characters.
Changes from Previous Versions
98 to 98UM
- Added a new hitbox to st.C; it now hits diagonally upwards as well as in front
- Hitbox of cr.A lengthened
- New animation for cr.D, the staff now hits twice instead of one staff hit and one sweep
- Raw f+B is now an overhead
- qcb+K added, diagonal anti-air move
- hcb+K added, a multi-hitting staff move
- Mash C reach increased, maximum number of hits increased from 6 to 8
- Added qcfx2+K, an upwards-travelling fire wheel move; MAX version shoots the ring of fire downwards after
- qcfx2+P startup reduced by 5 frames and 9 frames for the normal and MAX versions respectively, both versions can combo from lights
98UM to 98UMFE
- cl.C no longer whiffs on short characters
- cr.D now cancels into special moves and DMs
- f+A's second hit should no longer whiff on short characters
- hcf+A has 6 frames less recovery, hcf+C has 10 frames less recovery
- You can now cancel mash A/C by pressing ABCD
- cl.A: Has good vertical reach. Decent point-blank anti air. Whiffs on short crouchers. Chainable and cancelable.
- cl.B: Staple combo tool when chained into from cr.B. Chainable and cancelable.
- cl.C: One of Billy's main combo tools. It has a lot of active frames, so it can be a good meaty. Cancelable.
- cl.D: Whiffs on regular crouchers and lower. Can be a decent close-range anti-air. Cancelable.
- st.A: Decent poke. More active than st.B. Whiffs on tiny crouchers. Cancelable.
- st.B: Can be useful for stopping hops. Whiffs on short crouchers.
- st.C: Long-range poke with two active parts: the first diagonally above Billy, which can stop jumps, and the second in front of him. Like many of Billy's longer pokes, it has very bad priority.
- st.D: Very slow move with some low invincibility and decent hitboxes for stopping jumps. Very risky due to how slow it is; should be used with caution.
- cr.A: Long-range poke, very useful for checking grounded movement from the opponent. Bad priority.
- cr.B: Billy's main low combo tool. Chainable and cancelable.
- cr.C: Very fast move, which makes it an excellent combo tool. Can also be used for anti-airing or as a poke, since it also has nice forwards priority. Has a lot of recovery on whiff. Cancelable.
- cr.D: Long-range sweep that is cancelable on hit, block, and whiff. Has good priority, making it a good poke as well.
- j.A: Very fast, making it excellent for air-to-airs.
- nj.A: Long-reaching forwards poke that can be good for air-to-airs. Bad priority.
- j.B: Good jump-in that also works as an instant overhead.
- nj.B: Mostly the same as j.B, but with a different animation. Not an instant overhead.
- j.C: Long-range poke with a lot of active frames. Bad priority.
- nj.C: Downward-hitting long poke with good priority, making it a good jump-in and air-to-air tool.
- j.D: Good for jump-ins and crossups.
- nj.D: Pretty much the same as j.D, but with a different animation.
- st.CD: Great long-range poke with nice priority. Cancelable on hit, block, and whiff.
- j.CD: Great jump-in attack with good priority.
Drop into Hell:
- Hold throw, not techable. Billy picks the opponent up on his pole and shakes them around a bit before slamming them down, sending them fullscreen away with a hard knockdown.
- Regular throw, techable. Billy picks the opponent up with his pole and slams them down behind him, sending them fullscreen away with a backturned hard knockdown.
Wide Revolving Kick:
- Two-hitting move with great priority on both hits. One of Billy's main pokes and combo tools.
Pole Vault Kick:
- Slow overhead move that travels forward a lot. Has good priority.
Midsection Club Cruncher:
- Billy thrusts his pole forwards. The A version starts up faster but recovers slower than the C version.
- The A version is your go-to combo tool, as the C version is too slow to combo.
- The C version is the better choice for neutral use, as its faster recovery makes it a bit safer to whiff.
- Has a ton of priority, so it can almost be considered a projectile in use.
- Flaming Midsection Club Cruncher:
qcf+A/C (during hcf+P)
- Followup move to the Club Cruncher. Billy's extended pole erupts into a burst of flames, causing a soft knockdown.
- Will only come out at about 3/4ths of the move's range, so it won't come out if you hit them at the tip.
- Only comes out on hit.
press A repeatedly
- Billy spins his cane around in circles. Can be canceled at any point by pressing ABCD.
- Can nullify projectiles.
- Does a lot of hits and good damage if you catch cornered or backturned opponents with this.
Focus Continuous Beat Canes:
press C repeatedly
- Billy sends his pole out in front of him at a rapid-fire pace. Can be canceled at any point by pressing ABCD.
- This move pushes the opponent far out, which makes it a good move for getting opponents out of close range and into zoning range.
- Unlike the A version, this move does not nullify projectiles.
Pursuing Fire Dragon Cane:
- Billy delivers a series of 4 strikes with his pole.
- A version starts up and recovers faster, but deals a bit less damage than the C version.
- This can be a fairly safe chipping tool, as it has a lot of pushback, leaving you at zoning range afterwards.
- All of the strikes have good priority on them.
- Can be a decent combo ender.
- Billy thrusts his pole diagonally out into the sky.
- The A version starts up faster and recovers a bit faster, but does less damage.
- Kinda hard to use as an anti-air on reaction, but the A version is the one that should be used for it.
- For preemptive anti-airing on a read, the C version will deal more damage.
- This move cannot hit grounded opponents at all, so only use it when you're sure they're going to be in the air, as whiffing it will lead to a guaranteed punish.
Soaring Crackdown Cane:
- Billy pole vaults into the air and comes down about a half screen away from the starting position of the move.
- On hit, launches the opponent for juggle followups.
- The B version is faster but leaves the opponent closer to the ground when it finishes, leaving less time for followups.
- The D version is slower and harder to combo into, but leads to better juggles.
- Neither version combos from lights but both combo from heavies.
- In the corner this move is extra deadly because you can combo a DM afterwards for big damage.
Crimson Lotus Crush:
- Billy creates a ring of fire with his pole and jumps into the air.
- Can be used for reversals or anti-airing.
- Will combo from both lights and heavies.
- MAX version does more damage.
Super Fire Wheel:
- Billy spins his pole around, creating a ring of fire, then sends it flying forwards after a short time.
- Both A and C versions are fairly similar, they mostly have different timing for the hits.
- Mostly used for a corner combo after dp+K.
- MAX version does more damage.
- Billy strikes with his pole, creating fire in front of him.
- Has good range, so this is his primary combo DM.
- Combos from lights and heavies.
- MAX version does more damage.
cr.B, cr.B, cl.B, f+A
- Basic low confirm combo into a safe ender that doubles as a good blockstring.
(j.X), cr.C, hcf+A > qcf+P
- Meterless combo from heavies and jump-ins.
cr.B, cr.B, cl.B, qcfx2+P
- Low confirm combo into DM.
(j.X), cr.C, dp+B, qcf,hcb+C
- Corner combo into DM from heavies or jump-ins. dp+K can be prone to whiffing if spacing isn't on point.
With Quick MAX
(j.X), cl.C, f+A, ABC, qcfx2+C
- Quick MAX combo where you link a DM after f+A. Best used in the corner since the pushback can make the DM whiff midscreen.
cr.C, dp+B, ABC, qcfx2+B
- Quick MAX combo for SDM in the corner for a dp punish. qcfx2+K SDM does more damage than qcfhcb+P this way. For maximum damage quick max must be done while falling.