Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Gameplay discussion (All shortcuts on 1st page)  (Read 258893 times)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
If you would like to add something to this section, please post in this thread.

Shortcuts/Sequential Buffering:

I'll post all the ones I know from previous KOFs as well, they should all work but if they don't please correct me.

-All qcf~hcb motions --> qcf x2~back + button
-Similarly, qcb~hcf --> qcb x2~f
-qcb~hcf --> qcb~db~f
-qcf~hcb --> qcf~df~b
-dp --> hcb~f

-Dash hcb x2 command throws (e.g Clark's DM)--> (somewhat close) hcb~f x2~hcb + button

-Canceling qcf into qcf x2 (e.g Shen's qcf+P, [DC] qcf x2+P) --> qcf + button, qcf+ button
-Canceling qcf into qcf~hcb (e.g Liz's qcf+P, [DC] qcf~hcb+P) --> qcf + button, hcb + button
-Canceling dp into qcf~hcb (e.g Robert's dp+P, [DC] qcf~hcb+P DM) --> dp + button, hcb + button
-Canceling c.d~u into c.b~f (e.g Leona's c.d~u+P, [DC] c.b~f+K) --> c.db/d~ub + button, [DC] uf (or f)+ button
-Canceling dp into qcf inside HD mode only (e.g Kyo's dp+P [1hit], [DC] qcf+P...) --> dp+P~P (Liz seems to be the only character that can do this outside of HD)
-Canceling dp into qcf (e.g K' dp+P, [DC] qcf+P)--> hcb~f+P, qcf+P
-Canceling dp into dp (e.g Yuri's dp+A, [DC] dp+K)--> dp+P, K: As long as the first motion is the same as the second motion and there's not too much lapse in between, you can just press the button again.

-Tricky motions like Shen's CABC can be hard to buffer.  You can start buffering it while getting up, in the air, during the ending frames of a move or even off a s.C itself.  A useful trick is to tap in this order (just hold the down motion the whole time): d.A, d.C, d.A, d.B (this will buffer the first 3 inputs) and press C when you want to activate the DM.  By doing this technique, Shen appears to only do two d.As (since neither d.C or d.B link off of d.As), as soon as the opponent jumps, press C.
-Beni's qcf+K --> d~u+K--> qcf~uf+K, K: As long as there's no delay it'll stay buffered.  Alternatively you can do qcf+K, f, uf, u+K.
-Billy's qcb A, into rapid A (cancel startup frames) into qcb C-->qcb A, C x4

HD bypass activation and tips

Bypassing the frames of activating Hyperdrive (BC).  Although it seems much quicker than previous incarnations, pressing BC during a heated battle is ill-advised as you're vulnerable to eating a fat combo. Instead, clever techniques have been discovered over the years to eliminate those frames such as--
 ∟Kim or Ryo's overhead, press BC on point of contact, continue combo while opponent is in hitstun.
 ∟Activating as a special like Kensou who can do, d.B, d.B, qcf+BC (doing his qcf C while activating HD).
 ∟Clark canceling a non-cancelable normal such as his second hit of his close C into his Ex hcf K but simply
    doing hcf+BCD (all you'll see is s.C [2hits], hcf BD w/HD automatically)
 ∟Leona's V-Slasher DM (air.qcf~hcb+P) can be performed air.qcf~hcb+ABC which will make her do her
    Ex V Slasher while going into HD mode at the same, of course you want to MaxCancel into her NeoMax
 ∟Anytime you activate the BC off a normal late, a s.C will come out instead of the autodash.  
 ∟Anytime you activate the BC off a normal early, the autodash will be activated.
 ∟Ex specials like Shen's command throw, hcb~f+ABC (Arcadia says to prevent overlap do hcb~ub~up~uf+ABC).  
    You can also do the same motion in the air but you have to complete the motion before you land to
    go straight into HD.  Same applies to Goro and Clark.

Kusogaki of KOF UK Fame, illustrates the technique nicely on this clip.

Damage scaling:

- Every hit past the first one takes a 5% damage scaling cut.
- Damage scaling is normally capped at 20%. However, DMs and EX DMs damage scaling is capped at 40% whereas NeoMaxes are capped at 50%.  (Example given in the mook is if you have a 100 damage attack, no the 18th hit, you’d expect the damage to be 100 x (1- (17*0.05)) = 15, but the actual damage is 20. No actual example of a move in game is given however!) UPDATE: In console, DM's now are capped at 40% while NMs stay at 50%
- When doing a Max Cancel, the Neo Max ignores the regular damage scaling formula, but suffers damage scaling equal to the DM that was used for the Max Cancel. TLDR: Max Cancelling gives you slightly better damage scaling.
- Some multi hit DMs suffer the same damage scaling through all hits (e.g. if the first hit of a 6 hit DM suffers from 75% damage scaling, all 6 hits are scaled to 75%)
- Some moves are free from damage scaling entirely. Supposed to be common for the last hit of “Lock” type moves (once the first hit connects, the rest of the move connects as though the opponent is caught).
- Lowest damage value in the game is 4, hence if moves would suffer from damage scaling that would push them to a value less than 4, it’s bumped up to 4.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 05:00:24 AM by Kane317 »

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Systems/Technical/Gameplay discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:32:50 AM »
Yes! We needed this.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Parapets

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 03:48:51 AM »
It might be a good idea to use this thread to go into detail about all the mechanics specific to XIII, rather than just the more obscure stuff.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 09:09:19 AM »
It might be a good idea to use this thread to go into detail about all the mechanics specific to XIII, rather than just the more obscure stuff.

I figure I'll focus on the ones that need testing with actual access to a XIII machine, while other people who don't have access can copy&paste or describe how Drive Cancelling, Hyper Drive, Ex moves etc., works.

phoenix

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 04:59:25 PM »
In  the General Discussion Louiscipher asked whether dp's are invincibile or not, Kane317 replied that he thought they were invincible again.

I wanted to suggest a pretty easy way to check. Both Kula's and K''s f+A have enormous active frames, so it's very easy to verify that the move is meaty. Just score a knockdown do a meaty f+A and have the other player try to uppercut it. If they can uppercut that, they can quite surely uppercut any other attempt at a meaty.

Make sure to check with LP dp's, HP dp's and EX dp's of course.

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 06:35:13 PM »
Each dp has different properties, some have more or less invincibility. I remember there's a few characters that have less invincibility that lose/trade against a j.CD at the right distance.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 04:34:23 AM »
So I was messing with K' on training mode the other day since I wanted to try this combo someone who I totally forgot who it is mentioned. It involves canceling his dp into fireball (qcf+P), but I guess the problem is that if you just do it the system cancels into a super. So I figure a way to cancel into fireball without getting super.

Just do DP+Press and HOLD "A", then while holding "A" on the first hit press FORWARD. You will get the fireball instead of super.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

itpcruz08

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 05:15:05 AM »
Just do DP+Press and HOLD "A", then while holding "A" on the first hit press FORWARD. You will get the fireball instead of super.

Oh, great !! :3

Is it also possible to do that in the C version?

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 06:56:28 AM »

I haven't tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 08:02:15 AM »

Did that work where the qcf+A ended up hitting? I believe I saw it miss, but I could be wrong. The japanese post says to use dp+A, qcf+C for the combo. Gotta do some more testing to verify this.

I haven't tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't.

HeroBoy

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 10:32:47 AM »
So do we have a name yet for special moves that have "juggle anywhere" properties, like Liz DM, K' EX minute spike, Raiden dropkick, etc? And do we have a list for each character of who gets what?

I got the master guide but, since i'm not a native speaker, couldn't really figure out any symbols for this property and it'll still be a few more days before I get my first chance to play 13. Soon though!
I MUST SUCCEED

Flowtaro

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 10:58:03 PM »
anywhere juggle

been like that since 2001

alternately some people use "ultimate juggle"

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 12:23:06 AM »
Nice so what would be the easiest way to do Vice's dash then command grab(or Beni)? I've seen some people to it and it is very difficult to me.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 11:35:50 AM »
In XII, hcb,f+button moves could be input as qcb,f+button. In my time with the game, it hasn't seemed like that shortcut is still there, but I'd love to be proven wrong. It made a lot of combos easier.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 10:55:37 AM »
In XII, hcb,f+button moves could be input as qcb,f+button. In my time with the game, it hasn't seemed like that shortcut is still there, but I'd love to be proven wrong. It made a lot of combos easier.

The XII only shortcut did not carry over strangely.

Nice so what would be the easiest way to do Vice's dash then command grab(or Beni)? I've seen some people to it and it is very difficult to me.

Shen's, Goro's, Vice's, Liz's and Beni's hcb~f dash command throw are all done fwd x2 hcb~f, nothing special.