Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Gameplay discussion (All shortcuts on 1st page)  (Read 261227 times)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Systems/Technical/Gameplay discussion
« Reply #360 on: October 01, 2011, 06:27:36 AM »
Duo Lon's rekkas are a pain.  Anyone who's played or seen me play know I joke about "advance resets" to mask my inability to get it down consistently.  Now the strange thing is, I don't have a problem with any of the rekkas of the past, like Iori's Deadly Flowers or any rekkas for that matter.  It's just Duo Lon's.

What's helped me now is to really slow down the inputs; it's true that you can do them much slower than it looks.  The cancel window between the first and second hit is much tighter compared to the second and third rekkas which is pretty lenient.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 01, 2011, 07:36:36 AM »
Ugh...maybe I should stick to Kensou...
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 03, 2011, 08:57:18 AM »
Apologies if anyone has posted this before, but did folks know that it's possible to use  ;uf on qc or hc motions after  ;fd so you don't end up taking a harsh punish on a blocked dp?

This is great for some guys I use.

Ex. Joe Higashi
 ;st ;a ;fd ;b ;bk ;db ;dn ;df ;fd ;uf ;b
yields Slash Kick instead of ending up with Tiger Knee doing
 ;st ;a ;fd ;b ;bk ;db ;dn ;df ;fd ;b

Really good for any chr with these motions and a cmd normal who don't want to be ten feet in the air for a cracking punish. This is also useful if you are dashing and want to do an fb immediately at the end of your dash.

-This is sourced from the Japanese KOF XIII guide. Yeah mine is starting to show it's age with the amount of reading it has had to endure  ;)

(again, sorry if this has been posted, did a search on ';uf' on the site and nothing came up, so hope this helps!)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 03, 2011, 09:42:54 AM »
It's mentioned briefly on the first page, first post, of this thread for Shen.  I know it's mentioned elsewhere as well.  Same for Kyo's overlap with rdp+K and hcb+K (Athena dash command grab etc), the ub/uf technique works well.

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #364 on: October 03, 2011, 10:02:03 AM »
Still can't do the trick though. Everytime I tried adding ub/uf to any buffered special move, I always end up super jumping and whiffing an aerial move. Rofl. Guess my timing's still off.

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 03, 2011, 12:22:59 PM »
Still can't do the trick though. Everytime I tried adding ub/uf to any buffered special move, I always end up super jumping and whiffing an aerial move. Rofl. Guess my timing's still off.

Hey Aenthin, if you jumping it means you are pressing the button too late. If you try doing  ;uf and the button at the same time, you'll probably be able to pull it off consistently.

@Kane317, good call on mentioning  ;ub as well. Nice to see developers who care enough to make combos more accessible.

bzerk

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
NeoMax discussion: Moved from OT thread
« Reply #366 on: October 05, 2011, 08:00:37 PM »
I've been just wondering and would like you guys opinion on the console changes, specifically NEOmax's costing only 2 power bars in HD mode. For those that have been playing XIII for a long time now do you guys think that This will eventually eliminate the usage of EXdm's? I mean Full HD bars  come pretty often during a match and i Really wouldnt be able to see any reason NOT to combo into HD into Neomax for only 2 stocks.  

am I right in thinking we will see a lot less EXdm's or am i just worrying for nothing?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 02:13:16 AM by Kane317 »

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 4th |OT| Thread:Console countdown edition (UPDATE 10/4 1st page)
« Reply #367 on: October 05, 2011, 08:19:54 PM »
I've been just wondering and would like you guys opinion on the console changes, specifically NEOmax's costing only 2 power bars in HD mode. For those that have been playing XIII for a long time now do you guys think that This will eventually eliminate the usage of EXdm's? I mean Full HD bars  come pretty often during a match and i Really wouldnt be able to see any reason NOT to combo into HD into Neomax for only 2 stocks. 

am I right in thinking we will see a lot less EXdm's or am i just worrying for nothing?

I think the change is for the better. Currently, NeoMaxes are hardly ever used. This makes them far more practical, and considering how much crowd appeal they have, having them appear more often might increase the game's appeal.

Also, I disgree about full HD bars coming up pretty often. Unless players just don't like doing (or can't do) HD combos, no one's going to want to throw away a potential 40% combo. I think both moves are balanced against each other pretty well.

EXDMs: less powerful, don't need to be in HD to do them
NM: more powerful, need to be in HD AND takes up your entire bar
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:50:13 PM by Rex Dart »

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 05, 2011, 08:34:29 PM »
I've been just wondering and would like you guys opinion on the console changes, specifically NEOmax's costing only 2 power bars in HD mode. For those that have been playing XIII for a long time now do you guys think that This will eventually eliminate the usage of EXdm's? I mean Full HD bars  come pretty often during a match and i Really wouldnt be able to see any reason NOT to combo into HD into Neomax for only 2 stocks.  

All I can really get out of it is that you might see HD combos in the first character if they're low on health and backed into a corner. It also means first characters can Max Cancel which was usually reserved for the last person in the team for the EXDM [MC] potential. Generally, it's not as huge a waste and gives the nerfs to damage a little more reason considering they want you to use the Neomax.

You'll still probably get as much damage as a Neomax if you use EXDM [SC] in a combo. Keep in mind, you can't special cancel into a Neomax outside of HD mode which means you have to have it all and land HD mode or it's a waste. You'll almost always deal more damage than trying to regularly combo a neomax.

Dandy J

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 06, 2011, 12:07:58 AM »
for some characters i think its ok, but overall im not sure if i like the change. it does help out a ton of non-top tier chars, but at the same time a lot of already strong characters like kyo andy shen will make use of it and they dont need a damage boost

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 06, 2011, 12:14:24 AM »
I think it's an overall good decision.  Hell, with the way things were in Arcade, NeoMaxes might as well not have existed and nothing would have changed, and I hate when most mechanics go to waste (unless they're inherently flawed or stupid in the first place).

Plus I think it will help sell the game to a broader audience, since most of them look damn great.  However, the question is, what characters benefit the most?  I mean, obviously the characters that can already tack on a EX DM on the end of HD Combos who can also do a NM will benefit enough as they'll get a bit more damage now, but who else?
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 06, 2011, 12:56:33 AM »
Maxima benefits a lot from it. He can do Ex Vapor cannon [HDC], EX Double Vapor Cannon, [MC] Maxima Laser for a crap ton of damage. He gets a damage nerf, but that's gonna be the business right there and it's SO easy.

Vice will have a reason to use her Neomax since she can use one EX Deicide to activate her combo and go into her EX DM or just go into Neomax after a strong Deicide and Strong Mayhem chain.

Mhhh, other people I've not seen use their Neomaxes. Most likely since Terry gets his Neomax fixed, he'll use it more. I know I will. That's a lot of nuke damage right there.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #372 on: October 06, 2011, 01:17:47 AM »
I think it's an overall good decision.  Hell, with the way things were in Arcade, NeoMaxes might as well not have existed and nothing would have changed, and I hate when most mechanics go to waste (unless they're inherently flawed or stupid in the first place).

Agreed.

As a whole, I love the change. One thing to remember about Neomaxes, as well, is that they help the character gain a tool that's unlike their others, often. For examples, Duo gets a command Grab, Takuma gets a supreme Anti-Air, and Mai gets a blazing fast full-screen punish. Naked HD into Neomax might actually be worth it in many situations, once people are used to making it a new option in their gameplay. Before, in arcade, the HD bar was always saved as a sacrifice, and meters were blown instead. Now, you can blow HD and land a strong EXDM-style move (the NM), to save on meter burn, yet still do strong, 1-move damage. So now rather than burning the 3 meters you got from round 1, leaving you without your EX Reversal, but full HD, you can choose to Burn 2 meters and the HD bar, and still have that 1 meter to save for that game-changing EX move.

I think it'll have a nice effect on mid-game strategies. It might even change some team viability, if people really get into it. Imagine someone going HD and using their fully-invincible Neomax, VS a "not 100%" blockstring, like Maxima's cancels into Vapor Cannon? That's an option that never would have existed with 2 meters + an HD bar before.

I also think it'll lower the use of certain long combos, and make people more efficient. Rather than watching a 50 hit combo with loads of places to mess up and fail, you can now see 20 hits, then a NM.

Things like Joe Higashi being able to possible full screen punish fireballs with an EX DM -> NM now, with 4 DM bars and full drive, could make the game even more interesting, and open up new strats.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 06, 2011, 01:25:10 AM »
I think Benimaru can become more dangerous if you think about it.

I mean, I already saw a Beni pull victory from the jaws of defeat by going EX Benimaru Lancer on a full screen King, right into Neomax to win.  Now, you should be able to just go into HD mode after EX Lancer and get the same result for less meter and it should be a bit more lenient (as his NM is faster) so in essence, he technically has a full screen confirm into NM if I'm not mistaken.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 06, 2011, 02:52:44 AM »

Initially I was wary when I heard about the change.  Then hearing how Yamamoto-san expressed how he wanted to see more high damaging combos, changes to the way players now gain meter on the defensive end, and on top of what we mentioned earlier, nobody ever used NM--it actually makes a lots of sense.

It was mentioned before, but CMD.Duc pointed out that the difference in damage isn't that much if you factor that NM has to be still done in HD (for it to be 2 stocks of course) where as you could do a couple more "loops", finish HD, juggle some more, then do an Ex DM which is roughly the same damage for most characters.

Take Iori for example:

j.D, s.C, df.C, [HD], s.C, df.C, dp+A, [HDC] (qcb B, [HDC] dp+C)x 4, qcb B, NM

vs

j.D, s.C, df.C, [HD], s.C, df.C, dp+A, [HDC] (qcb B, [HDC] dp+C)x 5, qcb B, qcb A, Ex DM

It's very similiar in damage.