Author Topic: Is it cheaper to make my own joystick?  (Read 6515 times)

thec0re3

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
    • Fighting Games Online
Is it cheaper to make my own joystick?
« on: August 06, 2011, 09:15:07 PM »
I'm interested in getting a joystick before the end of this year and I was wondering is it cheaper to make my own joystick or just buy one. Right now, my only thought is to purchase the Quanba Q4 that works with multi game systems. I wondered if I were to create my own joystick how much would I be saving. I would be more interested in just maybe having one that I could build with all the available parts buttons, box, joystick etc. I really don't want to do any soldiering as my first experience with it was terrible and I would also have to buy an iron so that just tacks on to the price.  I have an xbox 360 and I'll hopefully be getting my Ps3 up and running in the near future. Whats my best bet please give me your advice.

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
Re: Is it cheaper to make my own joystick?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 12:21:56 PM »
I'm interested in getting a joystick before the end of this year and I was wondering is it cheaper to make my own joystick or just buy one. Right now, my only thought is to purchase the Quanba Q4 that works with multi game systems. I wondered if I were to create my own joystick how much would I be saving. I would be more interested in just maybe having one that I could build with all the available parts buttons, box, joystick etc. I really don't want to do any soldiering as my first experience with it was terrible and I would also have to buy an iron so that just tacks on to the price.  I have an xbox 360 and I'll hopefully be getting my Ps3 up and running in the near future. Whats my best bet please give me your advice.

Hey core! Sorry it took me this long to see this post. I'll gladly help you out and fill you in on current prices and what is more worth it.

Building your own joystick can vary in price. Are you going to buy a case? Or build your own from wood/material of your choosing? It is quite simple to convert a coffee table into a joystick without soldering anything at all and the price can be pretty cheap if you all ready have a table.

If you don't have anything to make a case with, you will have to of course, buy something to make it with. This is usually wood but I have seen full plexi cases and even a SHOEBOX joystick! Anything can be a case for a joystick. The limits are your imagination!

If you wish to buy a case to build one with, the prices can vary. Most custom stick builders who sell cases use exotic hard woods to create a very unique finish that looks very good and feels good to the touch as well. There are many different kinds of wood used for cases, but because they tend to be exotic hardwoods? The prices can be expensive. Cases normally can vary between 80-100 dollars depending upon the person selling it and the wood used. If you wish to pay for something a bit cheaper, there is a gentleman who sells a full plexi case! You can get a tekcase here http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=products&cat=12 starting at sixty bucks. About sixty more bucks will get you a full set of sanwa parts. For about 40-60 more, you can get an akishop PS360 PCB which has screw ins for the wires so no soldering required. You can either run a standard printer cable as the wire without needing to solder, or splice/solder a USB cable on to the board yourself with a set of wires that it comes with that plug into the board and hang loose on the other end. I was able to use this PCB without soldering at all. The total for all this comes up to about 180.00.

Custom sticks are also beginning to phase out. The reason being is because with more and more big companies joining the industry, the market for customs are going out. There are still a few guys left like gummowned, but there isn't as many guys doing it as there used to be.

That being said, since you're all ready spending 180 bucks at this point (if not more) there are a few options on the market from actual legit businesses selling sticks.

The Madcatz TE one is an option but their PCB is crap and there's no dual modded version.

The Hori RAP series is always good, but again...no dual mod.

This leaves two options left: The Eightarc fusion located here: http://eightarc.com/fusion
And the quanba which you've all ready considered getting. The Eightarc is 180 bucks, and it was given a very solid review by Aris of avoidingthepuddle.com

I know nothing of the quanba but it seems to be a good dualmodded stick for the price. Pick what seems best for you but I don't think the custom route is the way to go unless you REALLY want a wooden case. Otherwise, pick up an eightarc or a quanba for your dual system needs!

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:22:51 PM »
Just out of curiosity, are any of the major sticks out there 8-gate? How about the eightarc?

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 11:38:27 PM »
Just out of curiosity, are any of the major sticks out there 8-gate? How about the eightarc?

As far as I can tell, the only one would be the PDP Mortal Kombat stick. I BELIEVE HAPP sticks are all octogates but I am unsure about this as I have little to no experience with happ. As for Japanese sticks? Not usually though sanwa is REALLY easy to turn into an octogate by buying a ten dollar part. Seimitsu sticks usually come with both gates to easily turn into an octo. I do believe Hori produces an all seimitsu stick for X-Box 360, which means it should come with the octogate on it and merely requires a small amount of effort to change it.

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 02:40:12 AM »
Are PS360s pcbs hard to acquire? also, does anyone make any ready to buy American style cases? I really don't feel like luging around my Mas Stick anymore and am trying to look into something more compact.

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 07:20:27 AM »
Are PS360s pcbs hard to acquire? also, does anyone make any ready to buy American style cases? I really don't feel like luging around my Mas Stick anymore and am trying to look into something more compact.

PS360 pcbs might be a bit hard to find. I actually haven't heard the reviews about them since the first batch from FocusAttack, and they don't even have them listed anymore (as if they don't plan on restocking them). Most people stick with Dual Strike/TEasy/TE Kitty/Cthulhu mods, but since you're building a custom stick, a piggy-back system isn't really economical. Seems like a lot of non-import sites are out of parts (aside from sticks and buttons), but they'll probably restock soon so they can be ready for big holiday and end of the year sales. If you find out any info on the PS360s, I'm curious to know too. I was interested in one when I first heard about it, but I've never heard any legitimate feedback on their quality and how well they work.

Can you go into more detail as to what you define as an "American style" case? I figured that's what MAS sticks were.

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 07:48:31 PM »
American style as in American sticks and buttons are ready to drop on in. Every single empty case I see being sold online is made for Japanese parts to drop in. And also, look at the first post of the page in this topic --> (http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=577.165) I'm looking for a more compact case like the one he made his customs out of since they are much smaller compared to the bigger Mas Stick housing.