Author Topic: KOF XIII 5th |OT| Thread: Console Change log edition  (Read 362097 times)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 5th |OT| Thread: Console Patch Note edition
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 06:15:18 AM »
Wait... so the command for Overkill has changed, or is it still the same?

It's apparently less strict. Before, the  ;db ;dn ;df ;fd ;uf ;up motion would have to had been ended with a perfect  ;dn . Now, you can use a  ;db ,  ;dn , or  ;df as the final motion, and it'll still work.

So it sounds like they just made it less strict. There might also be a way to shortcut that easier now, with this change. It'll probably also make the new cancelling a bit easier.

Well since it's been revealed that you can cancel overkill after Splash hits the ground, you have forever and a day to cancel it and therefore no shortcut is necessary (back before you would have to [SC] into Overkill around the apex of the Splash, or before it).

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 06:16:58 AM »
The overheads are pretty punishable and not really a mixup, since he can't do them at a point where he can also do a low.  Basically, they should only hit if your opponent either lacks knowledge or is drunk.

Likewise, the only fairly safe points for NESTS Kyo's rekkas are the first qcf+A or the third input K, unlike the others you mentioned who can use 1 input vs 2 inputs with delay vs 2 inputs with delay plus immediate 3rd (if you're really feeling your yomi's hot) to keep themselves safe.

But I'm a little confused. So what is the benefit to Rekka Kyo as opposed to Shoto Kyo other than different supers? Claw and Iori and Flame Iori are basically two different characters. Claw Iori is just a really good version of Freeman. But Rekka Kyo, what advantages does he have? I know I'm jumping the gun by quite a bit but I'm just curious.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2011, 06:22:03 AM »
I just hope they're looking at NGBC Kyo for inspiration for NESTS Kyo. Primarily, I hope his new Dokugami chain (which ended with an explosion and allowed for follow-ups) is his EX rekka move, and I hope he gets an aerial R.E.D. kick (which would re-use the same animation anyway, and give him more combo potential). Other than that, I just hope they get as many of his dokugami variations as possible.

Of course he'll have Orochinagi. Hopefully he'll regain the ability to charge it, and I assume he'd lose the aerial Orochinagi. Don't think it fits him as well.

For a second DM, this may sound odd, but I'd love it if they just spiced up Kototsuki (his run-and-grab move) and used that. Kyo-2's MAX2 was basically a really flashy kototsuki and I thought it looked great. The EX version could function like his grab MAX2. So just like normal Kyo has normal version with the EX version being a command grab, NESTS Kyo could have a DM version with the EX DM version being a command grab. I dunno. Call me crazy if you must!

His NeoMax should be something short, powerful and representative of the character. Just like normal Kyo's NM is "just" a projectile with an awesome follow-up, I'd want NESTS Kyo to "just" throw a punch (maybe even the same as his qcfx2+P DM) with a cool, explosive follow-up.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2011, 06:32:57 AM »
The overheads are pretty punishable and not really a mixup, since he can't do them at a point where he can also do a low.  Basically, they should only hit if your opponent either lacks knowledge or is drunk.

Likewise, the only fairly safe points for NESTS Kyo's rekkas are the first qcf+A or the third input K, unlike the others you mentioned who can use 1 input vs 2 inputs with delay vs 2 inputs with delay plus immediate 3rd (if you're really feeling your yomi's hot) to keep themselves safe.

But I'm a little confused. So what is the benefit to Rekka Kyo as opposed to Shoto Kyo other than different supers? Claw and Iori and Flame Iori are basically two different characters. Claw Iori is just a really good version of Freeman. But Rekka Kyo, what advantages does he have? I know I'm jumping the gun by quite a bit but I'm just curious.

At least speaking from the older rekkas Kyos (which one right?) the keypoints are:

• Guard Points on his rekkas
  • Ability to delay the rekkas; great frame traps (I hate that terminology I dunno why),
  • Guard Point on his Oniyaki (dp) at least in '96 which was so freaking fun playing with that recently
  • High-low games with his d.B, d.A, Final Showdown DM (qcf x2+P)
  • If they throw in his unblockable grab DM (hcb x2+P was it '99 or 2k?), he'll be pretty damn scary.
  • Several years (forgot which one) he had a qcb+P counter move

One more point to consider, but it's too early to tell which version they'll choose (if any), his old 75-Shiki-Kai (qcf K) needed a manual second input for the second kick.  That actually lead to more combos in the corner depending on how you would delay them (and in '95, an infinite).

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 07:14:19 AM »
lets hope hes identical to XI shin kyo but withex moves and an nm. im actually more curious about mr karate and how different hell be.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 07:38:35 AM »
@Kane, you pretty much said everything I wanted to say and more.

@LousCipher, you should check out some 2k2um tournament vids to see what a crazy agressive rush-down chr Kyo can be. Pretty fun to watch. Of all the rekka chrs in fighting games, Kyo's rekkas are the coolest IMO - style man, style  ;)

@Rex, NGBC Kyo was probably my favorite. Arial RED Kick would be cool and don't mind if he has Orochinagi as long as there was some distinction vs Shoto Kyo such as no arial version like you say. I would still have to have Mushiki, or 182 Shiki DM. Like ur ideas for NESTS Kyo btw.

@Musolini, hoping Mr. Karate will be different enough from Takuma. I want him to feel really intimidating like Mr. Karate from SVC Chaos.

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 07:56:36 AM »
Actually, I was hoping NESTS Kyo would be closer to 2000/2k2UM.

The overheads are pretty punishable and not really a mixup, since he can't do them at a point where he can also do a low.  Basically, they should only hit if your opponent either lacks knowledge or is drunk.

At least speaking from the older rekkas Kyos (which one right?) the keypoints are:

• Guard Points on his rekkas
  • Ability to delay the rekkas; great frame traps (I hate that terminology I dunno why),
  • Guard Point on his Oniyaki (dp) at least in '96 which was so freaking fun playing with that recently
  • High-low games with his d.B, d.A, Final Showdown DM (qcf x2+P)
  • If they throw in his unblockable grab DM (hcb x2+P was it '99 or 2k?), he'll be pretty damn scary.
  • Several years (forgot which one) he had a qcb+P counter move

One more point to consider, but it's too early to tell which version they'll choose (if any), his old 75-Shiki-Kai (qcf K) needed a manual second input for the second kick.  That actually lead to more combos in the corner depending on how you would delay them (and in '95, an infinite).

There was also the case of his Hikigane (hcb+K). B version has low-body invincibility and could juggle the opponent. D version has upper-body invincibility. In 2000/2k2UM, it didn't send people flying but it had the ability to be canceled in MAX mode in UM.

Also, Mu Shiki (qcf,qcf+P) was only available in some versions of Kyo (and his clones). What he got during the NESTS saga was 182 Shiki, the super flaming punch which could be charged and be unblockable. It couldn't combo from light attacks though. Depending on which version, it could either do two-hits (99/2k2UM) or have upper body invincibility (2000 onwards).

Oh and there's the fact that if he enters HD mode, he's got one of the easiest HD combos around:
(qcf+A, qcf+C) repeat.

Plus there's R.E.D. Kick. I always loved R.E.D. Kick.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2011, 09:36:01 AM »
Well since it's been revealed that you can cancel overkill after Splash hits the ground, you have forever and a day to cancel it and therefore no shortcut is necessary (back before you would have to [SC] into Overkill around the apex of the Splash, or before it).

Maybe I made that a bit confusing; When I mean it'll make "the new cancelling easier", I mean, it'll make the new option of cancelling Overkill into Nemoax easier, as you'll be able to pick an ending direction that'll lead to Neomax simplier.

For some people, it might be able to stop overkill from the ;df position, to begin the  ;dn ;db ;bk, for example. Or if you can buffer the  ;dn and  ;db from finishing overkill directly into  ;bk ;db ;dn ;df ;fd for neomax, that'll also be great :)

It is great that the time to cancel for Splash -> Overkill has been made so HUGE now, compared to the tricky arcade variant. And I'm quite happy to see a new way to land DM damage out of her derived splash, for that matter. Now if only she had an EXDM version of splash...  :(

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 10:20:54 AM »
I'd really hope NESTS Kyo has his weak rekkas, since they're the ones with actually variety.

Agreed. 2002UM Nests is most preferable, but NGBC Kyo is practical with combining the two rekka styles. I just wonder how his EX is going to go with that. And I'd be ok with NESTS Kyo not having an Orochinagi. Give him the chargable No Style DM or Final Showdown, or both (making one of the go qcf, qcf K instead).
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2011, 11:55:34 AM »
It might be possible for him to have Orochinagi still, but the difference is that his EX version may be the flaming body version. Otherwise, the DM doesn't provide much difference. Oh and no aerial version.

Something funny. If Oniyaki is cancelable, and he gets an aerial R.E.D. Kick, he's technically copying a move from Kyo-2. Talk about irony.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 11:58:51 AM by Aenthin »

Terrastorm

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »
Wasn't there suppose to some sort of KOFXIII tourney going on at MCM Expo?

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2011, 05:49:59 PM »
KOF Trivia time! What does R.E.D Kick stand for?

[spoiler]Rainbow Energy Drop Kick[/spoiler]

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:52:31 PM by THE ANSWER »
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2011, 06:01:18 PM »
KOF Trivia time! What does R.E.D Kick stand for?

[spoiler]Rainbow Energy Drop Kick[/spoiler]

Another trivia: Did you know that there was another name for R.E.D. Kick?

[spoiler]717 Shiki: Koma Hofuri[/spoiler]

Also, I could have sworn it was

[spoiler]Dynamite, not Drop[/spoiler]

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2011, 08:50:59 PM »
Due to the wait, I decided to play some KOFXII the other day. Man that game still looks amazing. I wish SNKP would bring back those extra effects on the sprites, like the illumination caused by the attacks. If SNKP has the time, they should add them, makes the sprites look more awesome.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2011, 09:03:39 PM »
I think those effects were rather distracting.