Author Topic: Newbie from Sacramento  (Read 2053 times)

jay

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Newbie from Sacramento
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:22:49 PM »
Hey guys. Im new to the KOF scene. I dont think I have ever played a KOF actually. I remember playing AoF, Fatal Fury, and Samurai Showdown as a kid, but that was always when I was waiting to play SFII CE or Final Fight at the arcades. Since SF4 came out, I have been drawn to C.Viper and Rufus.  Everyone says that those characters play more like a SNK character, so I started looking into KOF.

I have been watching the IPW Southtown Ranbats, and I've been getting hype for this game! The characters look cool, the graphics look good, and it seems like a very deep game. I'm a big fan of hops because I play JoJo's from time to time, and hops are important in that game too.

I picked up my copy yesterday, and it's fun. I really dont know who to start with so the first 3 random characters I got were Joe/Yuri/Iori.  The combos are cool, because it feels a like a good mix between chains and links.  I havent really tried any of the advanced combos yet, but I cant wait until I get used to HD. The drive cancels are pretty easy to do and it looks flashy.

I volunteer at the Sacramento Central Library downtown, where I set up games to play for free. I usually setup, SF, Marvel, CoD, Rockband... but I will definately add this game to the lineup!

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie from Sacramento
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 01:36:04 AM »
Welcome to DC :)

Cool to have someone who actually hasn't really played KOF before around here.  Have fun learning!
Old man/bad player

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 04:13:07 AM »
Welcome to DC! :)

Great to hear that you are enjoying the game and that you will setup XIII at the library - awesome of you to do so.

When you get a bit more situated with the game, could you comment on team choices? Will be very interesting to hear about given your SF background up till now!

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 05:46:19 AM »
Hello and welcome to Dream Cancel jay, it's a pleasure to meet you.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

jay

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 06:02:47 AM »
When you get a bit more situated with the game, could you comment on team choices? Will be very interesting to hear about given your SF background up till now!

I thought it was going to take a while to get used to the qcf hcf motions, but I'm getting a hang of it. Canceling normals into command normals will take some time too. For example, Roberts 2b 2a 6b has a weird timing. I need to get used to doing the cancel faster.

Right now I am liking Yuri. I am a fan of dive kicks and once I get used to hd, then I should be able to do some damaging stuff.  I don't know if the dive kick can cross up like Rufus', but that would be cool.  I like Joe right now too.  I have been messing around with Iori, Terry, and Robert and I think I need to keep looking. Next will be the Maxima, Kula, and K'.  One of those characters seems to be on everyone's team, so they have to be good.

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 06:24:39 AM »
Nice choices! Cool hearing impressions from an sf background.

It's funny that you took a liking to Yuri (probably my favorite female chr). Don't know if you know this, but she has classically been given random sf moves over the iterations - akuma dive stuff being the most recent installation (oh, dive kick can cross up btw). Going from memory, she has had hurricane kick, akuma's raging demon super, ryu's shin srk, etc. It's really funny seeing lil' Yuri pull off some of these moves.

Joe is another fav of mine. Has been a main for me since '97 or so.

If you get a chance, maybe you could try out Ryo - I think you'll find him bizzarly un-shoto despite first impressions! lol

jay

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 08:15:39 PM »
Yuri totally feels like Akuma and Rufus! You can dive kick pressure and cancel a normal into her flip to do some mixups.  It seems like you have tons of frame advantage with the dive kicks, so she's a keeper.

Joe is definitely turning into my homeboy.  It seems like he can play safe with his 6B and tornado punches.  I like to cancel his fwdB into qcfx2 BD.

I tried Ryo, but he's kind of boring to me.  My last character will be Robert, Kyo, Iori, or Maxima.

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 01:02:49 AM »
Very cool man, sounds like your team is getting ready to rumble.

Dat Joe, he's really fun. He can be played rush down like a freak.

Enjoy!