Poll

Which type of notations do you prefer?

s.a, d.a, far a
3 (15.8%)
st.a, cr.a, cl.a
16 (84.2%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Which notation do you prefer?  (Read 5839 times)

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Which notation do you prefer?
« on: November 26, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »
For those confused

s.a or st.a or far a = standing  ;a
d.a or cr.a = down/crouching  ;a
cl.a = in-close  ;a
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

darkTown2

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Which notation do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 08:09:11 PM »
i've never heard of people use d.a, always 2a ( i'm not even sure if that's correct since i don't use numbers either) or   cr.a
psn: darkTown2
kof 13: kyo,iori,k'

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 04:13:51 AM »
I'm using s/f/b/u/d.A/B/C/D and dp/rdp, qc/hc(f/b). For charging moves d~u. or b~f. and also use this for follow ups like K' : qcf.A~f.B or Kensou Rekkas : qcf.A~qcf.A or Yuri demon flip dp.B~C etc ...

I'm using numbers only to explain accurately some tricky manipulation. By example to do d~u.B,(SC)qcf qcf.B with Kim i'm doing (2)3698+B 5236+B
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 04:16:49 AM by Sharnt »
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

Tropxe

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 11:33:57 PM »
I thought you were going to ask about preferring, say, LP to A, or HK to D. I have to admit, I'm finding it hard to get used to A, B, C, D rather than LP, LK, HP, HK. It wouldn't be so bad if A and B were punches and C and D were kicks. Every times I see people using the KOF notation, I have to stop and figure it out.
My team so far: Vice | King | Most likely K', Kula or EX Iori

robisntdrunk

• New Challenger
  • The King of fighters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 12:39:59 AM »
I thought you were going to ask about preferring, say, LP to A, or HK to D. I have to admit, I'm finding it hard to get used to A, B, C, D rather than LP, LK, HP, HK. It wouldn't be so bad if A and B were punches and C and D were kicks. Every times I see people using the KOF notation, I have to stop and figure it out.

This is what I was thinking, i think i've only seen d.a for tekken or something.
I play fighting games much more than I train in real life, yet i'm still a better fighter in real life, guess I can't complain though.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 01:30:36 AM »
The standard is the attack buttons use capitals (A,B,C,D) and the directionals use lower case (d,f,u, b, etc.) Since woe specifically cover KOF and SNK games, we stick to the simpler terminology using button names. If we covered many different games, then the LP, LK, etc. would make more sense.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:31:32 AM »
Good ol' classic SF/KOF notation.

Those numbers look silly.

QCF all day.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »
I wonder where this number notation craze came from? In every way it's a harder notation to keep a track of and gets completely dumb when supers are involved.

I blame the hipsters.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 06:40:53 PM »
It came from GLORIOUS NIPPON.

You see it used all the time in Guilty Gear, Melty Blood, etc, but it's not like those games have any different motions, all the same qcf and dp stuff.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 07:19:41 PM »
It makes notation easier for games which use tons of command normals. For example, BlazBlue uses 3 basic attack buttons and stick direction changes the attack. Instead of writing d.A, f.A those players prefer to use the number notation.

I'm old school and numeric notation hurts my brain.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 08:55:24 PM »
Yeah that makes sense, alot of these games using 3-4 buttons like to beef up your arsenal with more command normals.

Then again Makoto in 3S has command normals for all six of her basic attacks.

fwd+Jab
fwd+Medium
fwd+Fierce
fwd+Short
fwd+Foward
fwd+Roundhouse

lol, but not like she uses in those in combo strings or anything like you would in BlazBlue. I do love that fwd+Fierce though.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 01:53:49 PM by Running Wild »

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 06:13:13 AM »
or you know, you can just do f.A, fB or f+B.

same with u, d, b, db, df, uf, ub and etc.

It's all preference, but I just don't see a real use for it myself when it's a pain and I constantly have to remember which number is which, since I'm not a big fan of keypads.

SolidSonicTH

• New Challenger
  • I actually like K' more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 03:11:48 PM »
I prefer directional notation (and, honestly, I don't even like using the A/B/C/D terms as oppoosed to LP/LK/HP/HK).

The numpad notation I prefer to leave exclusively for Soul Calibur, because it makes sense there.

mightfo

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 11:02:13 PM »
i prefer number notation because it is quicker for me and others to process(when i see "6" i immediately know "Forward", when i see "c" I have to read on to process whether it is crouching or close or heavy punch or whatever. the numbers mean what they mean without need for context. thus, quicker to process.) and because it is less affected by fonts and things in terms of speed of reading. but i am probably biased. it is also nice that it is international.

actual arrows are the best though, obviously, but limited to forums and such.

I wonder where this number notation craze came from? In every way it's a harder notation to keep a track of and gets completely dumb when supers are involved.

let me ask you this: do you think japanese players, making guides for combos, would ever put down "QCF"? now, why would they do numbers instead of whatever the japanese equivalent for QCF? well, maybe it is because japanese/chinese letters are complicated and numbers are just easier in that sense. maybe they care about non-japanese being able to read the combo notation. maybe it comes from some other video game thing in japan. i dunno.
"in every way its a harder notation to keep track of and gets completely dumb when supers are involved" is pure, pure opinion.
also, nice arino avatar. i love that shit.
If you live around Dallas and play KOF, AH3, BB, GG, or MB, PM me~