Author Topic: How in the world do I stop accidentally grabbing?  (Read 2680 times)

666pack

• New Challenger
  • IiIiI
    • View Profile
How in the world do I stop accidentally grabbing?
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:22:19 AM »
It's funny because when I want to grab, I can never do it. However, when I don't want to, I end up grabbing my opponent. For example, I'm trying to work on my execution by doing  ;d;fd ;df ;dn ;db ;bk ;fd ;c with Benimaru. 5% of the time, I get the combo down. 30% of the time, I get  ;dn ;df ;fd ;c instead of the command grab. The remainder, I get a damn grab.

I can't even describe how annoying and rage inducing this is (yes, before anyone asks, I'm mad as fuck >_>).
Why does the grab input have to be like this anyway? What's wrong with pressing A+B or A+C, etc?

selfReg

• Scion of Flame
  • Plateau of Invincibility
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel UK
Re: How in the world do I stop accidentally grabbing?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 03:19:50 AM »
two button throws in KoF? Nah.

anyways, I know exactly what you're experiencing right now, but there is a simple solution:

wait for a few frames longer after you've confirmed the st.D before inputting the motion for the command grab. KoF has a considerable window of frames for a C/D to be combined with an immediate L/R direction to activate a throw, in fact you can exploit this as a throw/close heavy normal option select from a run if you use the back direction. You'll notice how you can press D, then L/R (like the beginning of a lot of special move inputs) just after, and a throw will come out assuming the opponent is in a throw-able state. This is why you get the throw most of the time you don't expect it, and against a training dummy it will happen more often than not. There's no need to rush the command grab out from the confirm, and you can afford to wait a few frames.

hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:21:56 AM by MezzoForte »
KOFXIII: N-Robert, Ryo, R2 Takuma

666pack

• New Challenger
  • IiIiI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 06:32:58 AM »
two button throws in KoF? Nah.

anyways, I know exactly what you're experiencing right now, but there is a simple solution:

wait for a few frames longer after you've confirmed the st.D before inputting the motion for the command grab. KoF has a considerable window of frames for a C/D to be combined with an immediate L/R direction to activate a throw, in fact you can exploit this as a throw/close heavy normal option select from a run if you use the back direction. You'll notice how you can press D, then L/R (like the beginning of a lot of special move inputs) just after, and a throw will come out assuming the opponent is in a throw-able state. This is why you get the throw most of the time you don't expect it, and against a training dummy it will happen more often than not. There's no need to rush the command grab out from the confirm, and you can afford to wait a few frames.

hope this helps.
Thanks a lot. I'll practice this tomorrow and post results.
I appreciate the informative reply.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:52:45 AM »
What's wrong with pressing A+B or A+C, etc?

Guess you didn't play KOF12.

666pack

• New Challenger
  • IiIiI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:45:19 PM »

Nope. I skipped out on it since everyone said it was trash and waited very un-patiently for this wonderful game (XIII). I wish the blue stadium stage from 12 was in 13, though.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:00:30 PM »

Or SVC Chaos