Author Topic: [June 9-10] East Coast Throwdown 4 - Road to EVO 2012 - Morristown, NJ  (Read 5191 times)

SweetJohnnyCage

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Ladies and gentlemen, Joe "iloveu" Ciaramelli (AKA Long Island Joe) and John
"SweetJohnnyCage" Gallagher are proud to present:

East Coast Throwdown 4

http://ecthrowdown.com
http://facebook.com/ecthrowdown
http://twitter.com/ecthrowdown

===================================

SPONSORED BY:

One Frame Link
Ultra Spec Cables
NAMCO-BANDAI Games
Autumn Games
Reverge Labs

East Coast Throwdown 3 marked a new milestone for the ECT legacy. Every year we nearly double attendance. In 2009, we had a mere 168 players come down to compete in one of the most tense weekends in east coast fighting game history. Players fought through a gauntlet for a chance to play on Team East Coast at Evolution that year. East Coast Throwdown 2 was no different, only that year it was 344 players coming to New Jersey. In 2011, we relocated to a bigger venue, and were one of the first tournaments on the East Coast to host playable demos of Street Fighter X Tekken as well as Skullgirls. ECT3 was also the year that the a west coast player by the name of Michaelangelo took the East Coast's money in Mortal Kombat 9 in one of those most visceral fights versus Chris G. Needless to say, East Coast Throwdown 4 will be no different.

Hello everyone! Joe on the mic here. First I want to say thank you for the continuous support of this event. Every year just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I am sure this year will be no different. I would like to go over a few things which occurred at last years event. We ran into a few problems last year day 1 of the event. These problems were a conglomeration of preventable issues i.e. staff attendance, pool runners, and others things we couldn't have prepared for. We were one of the first to have AE console tournament. It was before the disc was. All of our systems had AE on it but for some reason a handful of them wouldn't load the game properly. This really hurt the AE bracket in general. There was also power outage along the whole left wall which hindered a few different games start and finish time. We have taken these major problems into consideration and already have more staff on hand for this coming year and an extra power supply ready to go. Using the EVO pool system should also make things run a bit more smooth allowing our players to not feel rushed or stretched between the different games.

I want to say I am very excited for this year. I have met some of my best friends through this community by traveling and playing. I hope we can create the same experience for you guys. There is no other community I'd rather be apart of. Thanks everyone for the ongoing support.

Joe and I are really happy with the direction that this tournament is moving in. With an exciting lineup of brand new titles as well as returning favorites, 2012 and East Coast Throwdown 4 are shaping up to be one hell of a year. So, without further ado, here's the information for this year's event!

Hyatt Morristown
3 Speedwell Avenue
Morristown, NJ 07960
(973) 647-1234

=====MASS TRANSIT INFORMATION!!!=====

To get to the hotel using mass transit, please take the Morristown Train Line from Penn Station in New York to the Morristown station.

HOTEL ROOM RESERVATIONS CAN BE MADE!!!

https://resweb.passkey.com/go/Throwdown2012

Venue fee is $25 pre-reg and $40 at the door.

East Coast Throwdown 4 has been chosen to be a part of the EVOLUTION 2012 Tournament Season. Much like last year, players who place in the Top 16 in each game's tournament will be awarded seeding points at each of the EVOLUTION 2012 Tournament Season events. These games include Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition v2012, Street Fighter X Tekken, Soulcalibur V, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat 9, as well as King of Fighter XIII. Here's how the point system will work for 2012:

1st Place: 50 points
2nd Place: 25 Points
3rd Place: 10 Points
4th-16th Place: 1 Point

Again, these points will be awarded to players at all Tournament Season events, so be sure to enter as many events as you can leading up to ECT4!

Online registration is now open through www.ecthrowdown.com . We will be taking registration at the door for a premium fee in order to save time and allow everyone to get started with their brackets at the schedule times. If you register at the door, you will not get a choice of what bracket you are placed in. IF YOU REGISTER LATE YOU HAVE A HIGH PROBABILITY OF PLAYING PEOPLE FROM YOUR AREA!! We can't stress online registration enough. It's quick, easy, and painless.

We will also be utilizing a smaller pool system than last year, similar to how EVOLUTION 2011 ran. By ensuring that around 16 or 32 (depending on the game) people are in each bracket, pools can run very fast and very efficiently. I will be doing brackets by hand again this year in order to better guarantee that people don't have to play 2 games at once. Since we're using smaller brackets, there will be more pools available to place players in, making sure you guys don't have to be in 2 places at once. Just report to your pool, stick around for 2-3 hours depending on how you play, and you're done! If you do have to play more than one game at a time, it is YOUR responsibility to tell your pool handler that you're in another game. If you go missing for 20 minutes because you were playing in another tournament, you might get DQ'd because the handler doesn't know where you are.

The games that will be held as main tournaments are as follows:

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition v2012 (PlayStation 3) - $10
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PlayStation 3) - $10
Street Fighter X Tekken (PlayStation 3)
Tekken 6 (PlayStation 3) - $10
Mortal Kombat 9 (PlayStation 3) - $10
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition (PlayStation 3) - $5
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (MAME on PC, sticks will be provided) - $5
King of Fighters XIII (PlayStation 3) - $10
Soulcalibur V (PlayStation 3) - $10
BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend (PlayStation 3) - $10
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (PlayStation 2) - $10
Skullgirls (PlayStation 3) - $10

Tournament Rules

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition v2012
2/3 Rounds
2/3 Matches, 3/5 Grand Finals
Double Elimination
All available in-game button macros are legal (PPP, KKK, etc)
Prizes are 70/20/10 of entry fees
Please scroll up for EVOLUTION 2012 Tournament Season Point delegations

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
2/3 Rounds
2/3 Matches, 3/5 Matches Grand Finals
Double Elimination

Street Fighter X Tekken
2/3 Rounds
Double Elimination
GEMS ARE BANNED

Tekken 6 - Being handled by Juan "tHe real Law"
3/5 Rounds
Double Elimination

Mortal Kombat 9
2/3 Rounds
Double Elimination
Kratos is BANNED
DLC Characters are allowed

King of Fighters XIII
2/3 Games
Double Elimination

Soulcalibur V
3/5 Rounds
8WayRun's Tournament Rules will be in effect for SCV

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
2/3 Rounds
2/3 Matches, 3/5 Matches Finals, 4/7 Grand Finals
Double Elimination
Noob Saibot is BANNED

Street Fighter III 3rd Strike Online Edition
2/3 Rounds
Double Elimination
Gill is BANNED

BlazBlue Contiuum Shift Extend
2/3 Rounds
2/3 Matches, 3/5 Matches Finals and Grand Finals
Double Elimination
Unlimited Characters are BANNED
Loser can change character, winner is character locked

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
2/3 Rounds
Gold, Shadow, and EX Characters are Banned
Loser can change character, winner is character locked

Skullgirls
Rules are still being determined by the community
Prizes are 70/20/10 of entry fees + $500 bonus pot

If you guys have any comments, questions, or concerns, please feel free to voice them here or shoot me a PM! Let's get hype!!!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:04:05 PM by SweetJohnnyCage »

SweetJohnnyCage

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Sorry it took us so long to get this up here guys! Please let us know if you have any questions about the event or have any ideas for this year!

Malik

• Legendary Wolf
  • Student of this game called life....
    • View Profile
KOF is there, if funds are right, without a doubt I'm in there
"I used to be a christian then I met anime.. now i practice witchcraft and dark magics."
-Anony on Sankaku

SweetJohnnyCage

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Since before East Coast Throwdown was even conceived in Joe’s apartment all those years ago, I had been running tournaments at Castle Golf here on Long Island. There was one man in particular at those tournaments who helped me out by bringing Mortal Kombat II and Ultimate MK3 to the tournaments. His name was Phil, AKA 9.95. Phil has been an absolute asset to the East Coast Throwdown staff and his efforts these past few years have paid off like no one ever imagined. If there’s anyone out there who wants to talk about how to create a local tournament scene, Phil is a man whose brain you should be picking. He created the weekly sessions known as “Valley Stream Monsters”. Since the inception of VSM, that community has grown by leaps and bounds. They now have one of the most popular Mortal Kombat streams in the country that has gained national attention through regular players such as CDjr, Maxter, Crazy Dominican, KT Smith, Shock, summ0ning, Tom Brady, and countless others. Phil is able to create an environment dedicated to the Mortal Kombat Kommunity and shows no signs of slowing down.

Phil has decided to create a 2 day event called “On The Edge II” and Joe and I have made it an East Coast Throwdown 4 qualifier. On The Edge II will be held at the Gamer’s Edge in Valley Stream, Long Island, New York on May 12 and 13, 2012. As an added bonus, winners of the EVO games will receive free entry to East Coast Throwdown 4, covering venue fee as well as tournament entry fee. That means the winners of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Street Fighter X Tekken, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition v2012, Soulcalibur V, King of Fighters XIII, along with Mortal Kombat 9, will be able to come to East Coast Throwdown 4 in June and not have to worry about a thing (unless they’d like to register for other games, which can be taken care of at the door). These players will also receive seeding in their respective pools to give nod to their achievements at On The Edge II.

We’re really excited to be having a qualifier for East Coast Throwdown 4 and we can’t think of a better person to have run it. The MK guys are a huge part of East Coast Throwdown’s history. They are always there helping us plan the event from the earliest stages until the night before it starts. Show these guys some love and check out On The Edge II!

On The Edge II - Shoryuken
On The Edge II - TestYourMight
On The Edge II - Dreamcancel
On The Edge II - 8WayRun

SweetJohnnyCage

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
As announced last night on The Late Nite Show with LI Joe, One Frame Link will be putting an extra $3000 into the Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3! One Frame Link is an amazing website created and operated by the man behind sf4answers, Nicholas Paldino. One Frame Link is still in its infancy, but there are a lot of powerful tools geared toward the fighting game community in the works that will be revealed soon. If you thought using a zip code to find a tournament in your area was impressive, you ain’t seen nothing yet! Here’s the official release from One Frame Link:

While One Frame Link is a supporter of the Fighting Game Community at-large, we’ve never lost touch with what makes this community great – the individual connections that we form because of our shared love for fighting games.

Even though we live in an era where where online battles have become the norm, it’s those connections that we make in-person that help define us as a community. And what better way to make those connections than at a tournament?
To that end sf4answers has sponsored East Coast Throwdown for the past two years. With our transformation from sf4answers into One Frame Link we are privileged to continue supporting John and Joe by sponsoring East Coast Throwdown 4.

The foundation of our support comes from the great relationship I have with SweetJohnnyCage and L.I. Joe. How this relationship formed is a long story (OK, not that long, it involves a bunch of tweets and Evo 2009), but needless to say, we all share the same vision of elevating the community to new heights. Over the years I’ve had the pleasure of interacting with them on a professional and personal level, supporting their initiatives and vice versa. We’re all trying to make the fighting game community a better place.

It’s in the spirit of realizing that vision that we here at One Frame Link are proud to announce that we are contributing a $3,000 pot bonus to the Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 tournament at East Coast Throwdown 4!
This was a difficult decision for One Frame Link because there are so many tournaments to choose from at ECT4; from the latest titles like Street Fighter X Tekken, Skullgirls and Soul Calibur 5 to old-school classics such as Super Street Fighter II Turbo (oh, it’s aTournament of Legends qualifier) and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, the fighting game community is represented very well here.

However, the Marvel series is without-a-doubt one of the fundamental pillars of the fighting game community. Starting with MvC2, it’s provided us with the most hype-inducing, memorable moments in the community. Here’s just a sampling of what went down in the 10+ year tournament history of MvC2:

Duc Do vs. Sanford Kelly at Evo 2006
Fanatiq vs. Toan
Clockw0rk vs. Neo at West Coast Warzone 3
Justin Wong vs. Yipes at Evo 2007

MvC3 is just getting its legs as a tournament game, but it’s already shown hints of potential to bring out great moments:
Justin Wong vs. Richard Nguyen at Evo 2011
P.R. Balrog vs. Viscant at Evo 2011
And of course, who could deny Marvel’s impact on the vernacular of the community?

So come out, player and spectator alike, and be there to forge the next generation of moments in our community.

Be sure to follow Nick and OneFrameLink on all of your favorite social network sites below!
Twitter: @casperOne @OneFrameLink
Facebook: http://facebook.com/oneframelink
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:22:12 AM by SweetJohnnyCage »

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Whoa dude fix your links and formatting. It looks spammy.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

SweetJohnnyCage

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Whoa dude fix your links and formatting. It looks spammy.

Yikes thanks dude. Posting it over from other forums causes crap to break sometimes. Didn't notice this.

EDIT: Yo wtf, it comes up fine in the preview and then breaks when I post it.
EDIT2: IDK, I can't figure out why it keeps breaking lol. I just put it in plaintext :\
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:29:56 AM by SweetJohnnyCage »

SweetJohnnyCage

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
As announced on The Late Nite Show With LI Joe this evening, there will be a high stakes money match between California’s Fanatiq and New York’s RayRay. The stakes are already at $2000 and will continue to grow until the match happens. We will be setting up a PayPal account so everyone can get in on the backing of either Fanatiq or RayRay. We’re still trying to work out a way to handle side bets between spectators, but it will more than likely have to be handled in person. This match will be played on the stage and streamed by Team sp00ky on Sunday. We’re still finalizing a time, but we will post up a schedule very soon. There’s 6 weeks until East Coast Throwdown 4 so both of these players have over a month to get in the lab and bring their best game!
Be sure to register for East Coast Throwdown and save yourself $15. Click the link on the top of every page!

PS
We’ll be creating a running tally to put on the site so everyone can keep up with the money being put into the match!

SweetJohnnyCage

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Just a quick update on the hotel room situation for you guys. The only rooms available for Friday night are Studio Suites at $124 a night. We were able to add the rest of the King and Double rooms available in the hotel for Saturday and Sunday night at $104 per night. If you arrive early on Saturday, your room might not be available until later in the afternoon. Go to www.ecthrowdown.com to book today and pre-register!! Pre-reg ends June 2 and emergency on-site registration is $40!

SweetJohnnyCage

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Hey guys, just wanted to get this out there for those who were asking. Please keep in mind that this is a TENTATIVE schedule and is subject to change before the event. We will have a definitive schedule posted before the event in June. Here we go!

Saturday, June 9

8:00am-10:30am
EMERGENCY Registration ($40 venue fee at the door)

12:00pm-2:00pm
Big 3 (SF4, UMVC3, SFxT) Pools 1-4
Mortal Kombat 9 Pools 1-2
Soulcalibur V Pools 1-2
King of Fighters XIII Pools 1-2
Super Street Fighter II Turbo Tournament of Legends Tournament 1 Start
BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend Pool 1 Start
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Start

2:00pm-4:00pm
Big 3 Pools 5-8
MK9 Pools 3-4
SCV Pools 3-4
KoF Pools 3-4
Skullgirls Pools 1-2
3rd Strike Pool 1

4:00pm-6:00pm
Big 3 Pools 9-12
MK9 Pools 5-6
SCV Pools 5-6
KoF Pools 5-6
SG Pools 3-4
3S Pool 2

6:00pm-8:00pm
Big 3 Pools 13-16
MK9 Pools 7-8
SCV Pools 7-8
KoF Pools 7-8
SG Pools 5-6
3S Pool 3

8:00pm-10:00pm
Big 3 Pools 17-22
SG Pools 7-8
3S Pool 4

10:00pm-12:00am
Big 3 Pools 23-28

Sunday, June 10

10:00am-12:00pm
Skullgirls Top 16 > Top 8 (Everyone will play 1 or 2 games basically so it’s ready for the stream)
Big 3 Pools 29-32

12:00pm-2:00pm
Big 3 Top 64 > Top 8 (Top 64 will be split into four 16 man brackets and played down until there’s a winner and a loser from each, essentially four more pools)

For most games, finals will be streamed on Sunday afternoon. We will also be featuring the Fanatiq vs. RayRay match on stage Sunday evening, probably at 4 or 6pm, whichever works better for the players and fits the schedule best. We will be posting a stream schedule when it gets closer to the event, probably after pre-reg closes. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us on Facebook, Twitter, or email!

SweetJohnnyCage

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
East Coast Throwdown has been the home to some of the best Mortal Kombat kompetitions since the events began. We were the first tournament to stream Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 back in 2010 (hard to believe that was already 2 years ago) and have worked closely with the MK Kommunity on nearly every aspect of East Coast Throwdown. These guys are the definition of die-hard fans. It is because of this dedication and respect that they have for their games as well as this tournament that we always try our hardest to give back to them. It is for this reason that we are ecstatic to announce that WB Games and NetherRealm Studios will be providing prizes for East Coast Throwdown 4!

WB Games and NetherRealm Studios have been more than dedicated to the community supporting their games and have shown nothing but respect for them over this past tournament season. Tournaments are a huge reason why so many games are kept alive and to acknowledge this, WB Games and NetherRealm Studios will be throwing in an extra $1,000 to the tournament pot for Mortal Kombat!

We are very happy to have these guys on board this year with East Coast Throwdown 4 and we hope that this is the beginning of a great relationship. Let’s hear it for WB Games and NetherRealm Studios!

WB Games and NetherRealm Studios are prize providers only and are in no way involved in the creation, execution, administration or fulfillment of the tournament.

================================================

Someone on SRK asked if filming was allowed at the event. We HIGHLY encourage this, so be sure your camera batteries are charged!

=================================================

Alright guys, 27 days left to pre-register. Save $15 now because on-site emergency registration ends at 10:30am Saturday. Also, there are rooms at the venue hotel for Saturday and Sunday night. We're working on getting room blocks with neighboring hotels so we'll update you with that once we know more. Go to www.ecthrowdown.com to take care of everything you need!

SweetJohnnyCage

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
More rooms have been added to the hotel room block at the Hyatt Morristown (venue hotel). Here's what we have left:

Friday, 6/8           13 rooms
Saturday, 6/9     11 rooms
Sunday, 6/10      19 rooms

Go to http://ecthrowdown.com/?p=878 and book now!

SweetJohnnyCage

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
We're looking for about 5-6 people to help run brackets at ECT! We'll cover your venue and tournament charges and you'll be getting a staff shirt as well! We'd need your services from 11am-12am Saturday as well as 9am-4pm on Sunday. Pools will be 16 man every 2 hours, so it's nothing too challenging. We prefer those with experience, but please let us know either way!

SweetJohnnyCage

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
OK folks, since I clearly need some sleep, registration is back online until 11:59pm PST, as it said on the website originally. I'm really sorry for blasting everyone on Facebook and Twitter this morning. I got my days mixed up. You can go here to register as before:

http://ecthrowdown.com/?page_id=122

Again, sorry for the confusion. I'm going to bed.

SweetJohnnyCage

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Pool emails have been sent!