Author Topic: How to actually have effective defense  (Read 1986 times)

9inchsamurai

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
How to actually have effective defense
« on: June 22, 2012, 11:08:48 PM »
So I now we've all seen the tutorial video about the Rule of 2 (I've rewatched it several times), but I'm still having problems actually using that information. By far my biggest weakness right now is aggressive rushdown - I'll offer Kula and EX Iori as specific examples. That video talks about how to counter hops, normal jumps, and low block strings. I understand the kinds of normal and specials that will beat these tactics, but I just can't execute it during real matches. Whenever I do, it feels like I'm just guessing (and a 1/3 chance is not good) so odds are I'll throw out some pre-emptive lows and they'll hop or jump instead.

Does it really come down to reactions?  Because it doesn't seem like a standing A could beat a hop C from EX Iori if I throw it out at after they do - feels like I need to do it preemptively. I've gotten much better at doing reaction reversals, so I'm wondering if this is just an extension of that and I need to improve my reaction with normals in order to counter this stuff. And this isn't a problem that's particular to me being in the corner, because I get hit with crossups all the time since I'm just not thinking about stopping it and only really focused on blocking. I could start using more Guard Cancel stuff, but that doesn't feel like it would actually help my overall problem and it's something I would rather save for when they do really strong blockstrings that are almost impossible to counter normally (or maybe really strong hop CD pressure).

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: How to actually have effective defense
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:07:59 PM »
You can't always react fast enough to interrupt or punish everything you might be able to interrupt or punish (A good FG player has a reaction time of 18-20 frames AT BEST, because you can't maintain this level of concentration very long). So it's very important to know your limits. Test this if you don't trust me.

Here comes the mindgame, basic example:
Iori does d.B (to force you to block low) and then his cross up b.B (because he can do it off a hyper hop only if you are playing a small char or crouch, from a normal jump it's too slow).
If you now he is going for this you can interrupt him with everything you want.
But if you think he is going for that you must do it as soon as possible after the end of the d.B blockstring.
Then comes two things :
d.B,s.C frametrap, if you don't have any normals which starts in 3 you can't hit and iori gets a combo.
d.B,d.B,d.B string : If you are getting up to do a s.A you are hit by the d.B who follows and iori gets a combo (d.B string can be delayed to be used as a frametrap).

Once you have understood that you can understand how thinks a Iori, if he is seeing you blocking low all day long he will go for his crossup and screw you up.

And if you are playing Kula use s.B instead of s.A to counter hops, better range, start faster.

In corner if he does something like hop C hop C you don't have the time to react, with hop CD you might just don't have the time to use a normal because of the huge blockstun (especially against a char like K'). So you are forced to do a dp in reaction or keep blocking until you can roll or interrupt him with a normal.
Break roll is a safe (good) option to get out of the corner easily.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:21:26 PM by Sharnt »
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo