Author Topic: Trying to Learn how combos work on stick(basically in general)  (Read 3537 times)

Loryuo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
So I sat down and decided to learn KoFXIII, so i picked a char whose playstyle i liked in 98 and 2002; Mai. Well for

one, she is missing like 4 moves from those installments, and two........link combos are so friggin tough for me!

seriously it took me forever to get past Cr. lk Cr. lk S. lp into  ;bk ;db ;dn ;df ;fd  lk. That's when i learned that I'm

really bad at execution. Granted I played Tekken for years, and avoided 2D fighters until about 2010. Anyways her

next trial, i couldn't even link Cr. lk Cr. lp Cr. HP into  ;dn ;db ;bk ;df ;fd super. It just wouldn't come out even

when i occasionally landed the HP into the combo. I know i need to practice, but can someone explain to me how

combos exactly work on stick or in general for that matter?

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to Learn how combos work on stick(basically in general)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 03:17:10 AM »
First off, see if your execution is the problem or the speed in which you do the move. Get out of Trial mode and do training mode.

Her hcf+B after d.B, d.B, st.A is a pretty fast link. You have to do it pretty quickly. It's actually not very practical of a combo because it's so fast and doesn't had a considerable amount of damage, but it has pretty good corner carry.

The next one isn't very practical at all. The super isn't the problem. The problem is the d.A to d.C is a one frame link. It's really hard to time in general. Coupled with a qcf, hcb super move, you're gonna have problems.

A good combo with Mai to try and will get you pretty far is d.B, d.A, qcf+C or d.B, d.A, qcb+C. You can use EX moves and the like to extend combos, but try to keep it simple and just poke. Mai's big damage comes from corner damage.

Loryuo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 05:17:24 AM »
Well there goes 3 days of practice XD. Also nice to know that those moves aren't really practical, cause one frame

links without much practice is pretty tough lol. Maybe if i want to learn practical combos i should look around more

on the internet? also about crouching attacks and standing attacks into specials and such. Should i attempt to

make my stick neutral before performing the motions?

Also half circles on the right side of the screen = nightmare!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:02:39 AM by Loryuo »

Maker

• New Challenger
  • Train Hard, Fight Easy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 04:16:55 AM »
If your trying to transition to a stick and KoF is your game of choice to do so. You started on a game that's pretty unforgiving of input issues. But that's actually great. It will force you to do the inputs correctly instead of being sloppy.

Id say don't give up and just make certain your input is good. Don't worry about speed just do the moves first and link them together in combos later on. Learn the games system first and just enjoy your mistakes for a while (sounds dumb) if your swapping up controls its going to happen.

But if I, a rookie to KOF entirely, can get passable at the game inside of two to three weeks already being on stick. I think you'll have that on top of getting used to the control input as well. The key is patience.
Always improve.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:50:06 AM »
If your trying to transition to a stick and KoF is your game of choice to do so. You started on a game that's pretty unforgiving of input issues. But that's actually great. It will force you to do the inputs correctly instead of being sloppy.

Id say don't give up and just make certain your input is good. Don't worry about speed just do the moves first and link them together in combos later on. Learn the games system first and just enjoy your mistakes for a while (sounds dumb) if your swapping up controls its going to happen.

But if I, a rookie to KOF entirely, can get passable at the game inside of two to three weeks already being on stick. I think you'll have that on top of getting used to the control input as well. The key is patience.

The bolded are what I would've said to you. Basically patience and precision. I played Tekken a lot over the years on pad too. The switch to stick was difficult, but made so much sense later on (for 2D fighters and Tekken actually).

Definitely do what Reiki said and head to practice first and foremost. And I'm not sure if I mentioned this to you in chat or elsewhere, but don't forget about some of the shortcuts and buffers in the stick motions. For exampe, that Mai combo ending in the super, I usually do qcb,hcf; not totally precise, but works for me.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Hungry Color

• New Challenger
  • Bread N' Butter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 07:40:06 AM »
The day I sit down with a brand new stick and do trials in KOF will certainly be an unpredictable one.

I'm sure it won't make the game easier, but I think going into HD will at least be easier. Won't have to curl my hand in a claw to hit the buttons like on 360 pad...

Loryuo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »
all i have to say is thanks for all the tips and advice =).

I've been practicing daily, and i can actually do mai's basic bnbs about 80% of the time now. I'm still adjusting to doing supers in combos and such though.

I'm having a lot of fun because I am actually making progress every day.

Again thank you all =P.