Author Topic: A poll battle for popular FG characters  (Read 7428 times)

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
A poll battle for popular FG characters
« on: November 12, 2012, 06:34:57 AM »
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/05/the-ultimate-fighting-game-battle-royale-round-1

It'll probably be the most popular winning it out, but I'm curious to see how it turns out.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

zerotrigger

• New Challenger
  • PSN:jt-exceed twitch:irregular_2x(coming soon)
    • View Profile
Re: A poll battle for popular FG characters
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 07:34:48 AM »
Some of those match-ups were hard to decide
It's a long road to become the King Of Fighters, but Zero is willing to walk it.

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:35:08 AM »
Seems kinda interesting, though if it turns out like all the other matchup tournaments like this that i've seen before the results will end up being fairly predictable.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 04:52:18 AM »
Fun to vote for. Almost hate to see results. Most end up being a popularity contest.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 12:52:58 AM »
I made it a policy to not vote for MK characters lol

Only once did I pick a non-SNK character over an SNK character (Geese vs. Nightmare).

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 04:47:41 PM »

Only once did I pick a non-SNK character over an SNK character (Geese vs. Nightmare).

I'd still give Geese some kind of chance against Nightmare, but I can understand why it would go the other way.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 06:53:01 AM »
I don't know why some characters are there if it's a popularity contest. I'm talking about some VF (Wolf), Darkstalkers (Bulleta), that DoA guy.
I like most of those characters, but you have to admit there are tons of other more popular people around.

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 08:02:10 PM »

I'd still give Geese some kind of chance against Nightmare, but I can understand why it would go the other way.

Geese has counters, and can go into Raging Storm off of his mid counter... gg Nightmare lol. But seriously, they picked the Nightmare Geese character from KOFMI2 and called him Geese... Some people caught that "Iori from Fatal Fury" bit, too...

I don't know why some characters are there if it's a popularity contest. I'm talking about some VF (Wolf), Darkstalkers (Bulleta), that DoA guy.
I like most of those characters, but you have to admit there are tons of other more popular people around.

All of those characters you mentioned are indeed popular. They might not be as popular in the US per sé, but they do have some reasons behind it. Lemme break it down real quick:

Wolf - Wolf has been practically popular since VF1, moreso in VF2 because he had a meta game involving his Giant Swing, where he'd dodged your moves by crouch dashing and blocking, and he would use the fast input version of the Giant Swing, which was a harder throw to break. He was ridiculously popular in Japan from VF1 all the way to VF4:Final Tuned. Wolf still does have popularity, but it's not to the point of every VF player picking him like it was before. Here's some classic footage of a popular Wolf player with some mention of that meta game I was talking about:

http://youtu.be/CDDPAxyErL0

Bulleta (BB Hood) - She was popular because she has an infinite or two in VSav1. Granted, it's a rather hard infinite to do, but when you have ample time to practice it, and stiff competition forcing you to step your game up, you're bound to get it quickly. Eventually, a bunch of people started picking her in tournaments and such. Bulleta also makes a good mid tier character in MvC2. I personally used her as point with Juggernaut (with the power up glitch of course) and Doom as assists simply with the goal of doing chip damage and doing max damage without needing a 50+ hit loop... She's worth the pick though...

Ninjas of DOA - If you haven't played DOA with strong DOA players that use ninjas, you won't understand how strong they really are. Ninjas of DOA are the de facto of the game tbh. Sure, they can be beaten, but if you're fighting a really strong player, you have to step your yomi up seriously. Most of the ninjas have counters that lead into some serious damage. Compare that to Jann Lee's counter, which only opens up for mixup options. He doesn't get a combo opportunity, no high damage throw, no nothing. It's a measly kick that does nothing great imo. But enough about my ranting, these ninjas are indeed popular, with Jann Lee, Tina and Bass following right behind them.

Honestly, I wish they had more characters, as Jacky's not in there, nor is Kyo, King (Tekken), Bryan Fury, Steve Fox, Kung Lao, Maxi, or Voldo even... Jun would even be a good pick, since everyone who's ever played Tekken 2 wanted her to return (almost to the point of petitioning I believe)...

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 01:45:10 AM »
Man, it's down to Ryu, Chun, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, Bison, Jin and Nina.

Funny to think how outvoted Terry got against Sub-Zero (if Johnny can beat him, should've been easy).

Highest popularity as usual in Round 3. But, if most of those voters only knew.

And btw, from the same site, there's a FG history article worth checking out -http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/04/the-evolution-of-fighting-games

I'm curious if people can notice the same mistakes I did. (Hint: one typo, one wrong year, one wrong pic for the game presented)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:56:46 AM by solidshark »
-Terry Bogard, 1995

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 02:26:08 AM »
Down to Chun, Ryu, Liu, and Scorpion.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/30/the-ultimate-fighting-game-battle-royale-round-4

Not too surprising, and looks like it'll end up Ryu vs Liu Kang.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 07:26:44 PM »
Actually i think is going to be Ryu (or Chun) VS Scorpion.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 03:58:10 AM »
Actually i think is going to be Ryu (or Chun) VS Scorpion.

I'll be really surprised if Chun beats Ryu. It's possible in a fight, but much less in a popularity battle, unless people want to set up Scorpion fatalitying Chun.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

DjWizdom

• New Challenger
  • Big ups to all the Junglists.
    • View Profile
    • Sound Cloud
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 10:01:57 AM »
It should've been Ken Masters vs. Scorpion. (No real reason except that I'm just a Ken Fanboy. XD)
http://soundcloud.com/dj-wizdom
Jungle/Drum n Bass.....more than just music. It's a lifestyle.

Grublet

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: A poll battle for popular FG characters
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 11:00:49 AM »
It should've been Ken Masters vs. Scorpion. (No real reason except that I'm just a Ken Fanboy. XD)
the legion of online Kens agree with you.:D

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 12:42:59 AM »
I find it stupid how they pitted SF vs. SF and MK vs. MK.

Did they want a SF vs. MK finale? Something tells me they planned it like this from the beginning...