Author Topic: KOF XIII 9th General Thread: New Year, New EVO, New Challenges in 2013  (Read 52335 times)

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: KOF XIII 9th General Thread: New Year, New EVO, New Challenges in 2013
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 09:15:05 PM »
Desmond mentioned that FAQS would probably be a big help to new players coming from different games earlier in the thread discussion. 

Okay, lets start it up. Anyone else down for that?

A thread can be made with common questions coming from people of different games, with answers to those questions. The best questions and answers will be apart of an official FAQ for KOFXIII that we will put in the tutorials section.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Great_Dark_Hero

• Scion of Flame
  • Lame puns are long gone
    • View Profile
    • Techno Panic Fighting Game Project

Great_Dark_Hero

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2013, 03:17:21 PM »
Hm - I just got done watching another KOFXIII stream. Had a lot of fun. The host (from kingsofco) of the stream was speaking to me directly about character match up ignorance and meter management.
That and the Spanish commentary during the matches. This stream mostly consisted of ranbats. Lots of good fights. I already know how to play Kim, but I'm going to pick up Hwa Jai now just to familiarize myself (no this isn't a character crisis, this more of a method of studying the characters themselves and having more options available, should I participate in another tournament).

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2013, 03:54:14 PM »
matchup ignorance and meter management? what did he have to say?

fiol

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 04:38:29 PM »
since is been long time we got some news from SNK JP, i guess KOF14 will be released for the next gen.(just guessing, i don t even know if they re even working on that). I bought the ps3 in order to play 13, i will not do the same for 14.
but a new game for android/apple came out recently:

KOFxGAROU
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-garou/

ahahah  :(

KOF XIII: billy, ralf, clark
KOF XII: ralf,kyo,ryo

Great_Dark_Hero

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2013, 04:43:47 PM »
The host often prefers to save meter and use HD combo's as most players do. He also told me that he frequently watches how the Japanese play KOFXIII, and we both agreed on the fact that their play style is a bit scary and unorthodox; they WILL spend meter (and drive meter) whenever it is possible - they tend to outright disregard meter building to a huge extent. Some individuals only wish to finish the match as quickly as a possible... at whatever cost within the game play. The way they enforce this sort of play style is very blunt and shocking and it is easy to see how annoying it can be. Then there are players who can easily get away with playing this game as if it were 98 (there are two people I know personally who actually do that).
I believe in maintaining a cautious approach to meter management - under many circumstances, having so much as one meter can save a man's life. The thing about the meter in this game is that it provides players with so many options and methods of enforcing their game play.
As for match up ignorance... he initially asked me if I was able to go to EVO2013 this year - I only told him perhaps, sense I'm in Europe... Then the host began talking about taking advantage of match up ignorance and mind games especially, in preparation for EVO - As of EVO2012, the host of the stream mentioned that match up ignorance may have been part of the reason Bala lost (specifically against Mad_KOF's Chin). The host said he started using Daimon for the same reason, seemingly putting a little emphasis on his normal moves (though he is a big target). Another interesting point he made is that Hwa and Kim are very powerful in this game according to his country's standards on the character - saying that every other player should pick up, at least one of the two characters. Last, he also spoke about me playing things like Elisabeth or K'... you may perhaps play characters like that in an unorthodox meter or outside of their initial game plan (and then again, there are characters who can be played under many conditions and play styles... like Yuri or Kyo for example).

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2013, 04:02:52 AM »
Interesting stuff from the host GDH was talking to. I'd kind of want to tell you to tell him to watch more than just Japanese play; Korean and South American (Brazil, Chile, etc.) play-styles show some things the Japanese don't always take advantage of, and can use to their advantage for strategy (especially in picking high-tier vs picking characters you know can be a threat in your hands).

I understand how Hwa and Kim are so highly regarded by him, but I don't agree with him that EVERYONE should have one or the other, or both on their team; hinders match-up ignorance a bit if Kim or Hwa could've been replaced by someone who really knows how to use Ralf, Daimon, Elizabeth, Maxima, Leona, or some other underplayed characters.

Great, what's your take on the general play in Germany?
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2013, 05:28:48 AM »
I like to spend meter on EX moves, in and out of combos. My general rule is, stay above 1 bar 50% drive. 1 bar is for EX reversals/zoning tools or launchers for combos, it's allways good to have. 50% bar because sometimes you can spend drive instead of bars and get good damage out of that instead, but you don't want to be too far from HD. I think that people should allways try to see to it that they are not stuck at full meter so that they end up unable to build meter.

I've been thinking about jump archetypes a bit. I split characters up into high and low jumpers and i believe it is pretty self explanatory but still; Low jumpers are characters like mr.Karate and Iori for example and can easily be jabed out of their hops. High jumpers are characters like Athena and Benimaru that hop over your jabs. It seems like alot of high jumpers have been considered relatively weak and i wonder what your opinions on high versus low jump arcs are?

To me the main benefit of low jumpers seem to be better high low mixups etc. While high jumpers have more mobility, have an easier time getting around projectiles and anti air normals like jabs etc.

Great_Dark_Hero

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2013, 05:43:15 PM »
snip

A lot of characters (like Leona or Maxima for example) are slept on in KOFXIII, in spite of what they capable of.
To speak about my experience in against German players, they tend to focus primarily on EX Moves and raw Neo Max - they normal use HD combos with their THIRD character. I hardly see them use any drive cancels. As for the U.S. Army soldiers I fought at the Warrior's Zone at a cafĂ© in Kaiserslautern, they default to playing KOFXIII as if it were 98, but I've seen several of them make use of HD combos here and there but they tend to drop them a lot despite taking 400+ health off... The French players are somewhat aggressive in my opinion when it comes to game play, because I fought several players who would not let up on their offense from their - I had another French player telling me that he really wants to work on his hit confirms and his defense after I barely defeated him. I would elaborate on Spain, but that's where I simply play 98 and 02UM, rather than KOFXIII. I'm... not too sure about Italy, but I do have a PSN friend who is from Milan, Italy... he tends to use a lot j.CD's and plays REALLY defensively...   

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2013, 10:42:13 PM »
Germans like to use Raw NeoMAX? Sweet!

I know it's considered inefficient to use them, but sometimes it feels like a well-placed raw NM can do more to psych up the crowd than a Max Cancelled NM.

Great_Dark_Hero

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2013, 01:42:50 AM »
I used to raw Neo Max a lot with both Mai and Claw Iori throughout the beginning of last year, but then I quickly realized just how impractical it really is. It is a massive waste of meter and the most decent players are going to see them coming from a mile away (This is arguably part of the reason I got killed in WGC2012 by another Mai player - and no, it wasn't Luffy, but another French player who was fluent in English and apparently plays a lot of 02UM). If I do intend to go for a Neo Max, I will at least enter HD mode first and hit confirm into it. That's what most decent players would do. Besides, in HD mode, Neo Max will only cost two meters instead of three. If you already have three meters, you'll keep one in case your Neo Max whiffs or is blocked.

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »
I'm so nostalgic of the era where i was alone to play Kim ;_;

I will at least enter HD mode first and hit confirm into it. That's what most decent players would do. Besides, in HD mode, Neo Max will only cost two meters instead of three. If you already have three meters, you'll keep one in case your Neo Max whiffs or is blocked.

With aerial NeoMax you can do the motion +B or +C (depending if it's with the fists or feet) to activate HD mid air and then use it. Example : jump then do Mai neomax with A+B+C, your NM will only cost 2 meters.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:29:28 PM by Sharnt »
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

Great_Dark_Hero

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2013, 11:26:29 PM »
I've actually started doing that months ago... and it saved my life more than a few times offline.
KOFXIII Mai plays with herself on Christmas

a11111357

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2013, 03:08:56 AM »
There will be a national tournament in Suzhou,China on March 16th 2013.
guest player:ET
Hong Kong: john769 //paklun1214//chrischris
Shanghai: //CZQ// 奶王//YO哥//ANDILY
Suzhou:苏州龟王 //XQW//黄明//苏州黄毛//光头
Hongzou:yxxloveqq
Dongguan :K DASH //断水流KK+1//T哥
Taicang:大饼君//工程师//太仓KULA
Wuxi:KALA //阿星
Beijing:spelliu
Xi'an:手残流小爱
Dalian:YAMA

http://bbs.kofunion.net/read.php?tid=177194
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:20:50 AM by a11111357 »

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2013, 03:53:25 AM »
There will be a national tournament in Suzhou,China on March 16th 2013.

Will this event be streamed? Or recorded by any chance? I looked in that thread and I couldn't find anything.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."